Is a Medallion wearable safe to use if I have a pacemaker?

John99

Pacemakers: 

Have a Pacemaker since 2010 and on the second one.

On my first medallion cruise in 2018 I requested a room card. It was crap and often failed to even open the cabin door. Princess does not give out room cards anymore as the new technology does not recognize the old room cards. Popular option is to buy a wrist band at your cost.

I use a Medallion on a lanyard and it hangs far enough away from Pacemaker. I tuck it into my waist band. You can easily separate the medallion from the lanyard and keep it in a pocket or purse.

Going through Security Scanners I tell them and get hand checked.

This is for the magnetic field of the scanner to not affect the Pacemaker programming.

17 hours ago, Barry H said:

On my first medallion cruise in 2018 I requested a room card. It was crap and often failed to even open the cabin door. Princess does not give out room cards anymore as the new technology does not recognize the old room cards.

Many of the door sensors had problems back then and have since been corrected. Our room steward use a card last cruise for all his assigned doors & it seemed to work flawlessly every time. 

I have had a pacemaker since 1995.  Also I have traveled many many times since then and I have traveled with the new medallion.  I DO NOT have it on a lanyard!  I put it in a pocket or a small purse that I carry with me. 

It is better to be safe while traveling than to test the magnet that is in it.

• 9 months later...

I posted this question on another forum but will also here - has anyone had to bring their bedside "communicator" along, and if so, was it easy to connect it to the ship wi-fi (as we won't have cellular access)? This is for a Medtronic ICD that was implanted in November. Need to check with cardiologist if needed for the "routine" data transmission while we're on the cruise but want to have info before we talk to him.