Orange Club on Rotterdam

MUD

Just signed up for the Orange Club on the Rotterdam. My wife is celiac and needs gluten free dining. We have always had good luck in the MDR. Any experience with gluten free in Ornge Club?

Secondly we have always enjoyed the MDR. Took Orange club because there was a very good promotion. How does dining in the orange club compare to fixed seating in the MDR?

It's the same food as the MDR. Some of the items may be plated in the OC restaurant but you shouldn't have problem getting the same food. The smaller venue is alot quieter and, depending on time and staff, service much better. You won't be able to reserve a time but on first night let them know what time you like to come and what area you like to sit (they will say they can't guarantee a specific table but it usually works out. Some people like to wait at the door before they open, but there is no need. 

Is it possible to book a reserved time in CO restaurant, or must you simply show up each night when ready to dine? Is there ever a wait for CO dining room, or is the demand low enough that its rarely an issue?

From pictures, it looks like the CO dining room is only about 15-20 tables?

They do not take reservations.  We never had to wait but tend to eat early 8am/6pm.  I don’t remember seeing anyone waiting when we finished dinner.  The Half Moon Bar is right next door and there are seats by the windows if you did have to wait.

20 hours ago, Real NHDOC said:

All of the food served in CO except for the club orange special is prepared in the MDR kitchen so there should be difference from eating in the MDR. The service and food in CO on Rotterdam has been excellent so far for us. 

I thought that as well but on board the Koningsdam I was told proudly that all the food was prepared in their CO kitchen.  They were quite adamant about it.

I haven’t been on the Rotterdam yet so I can’t comment on it.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, kazu said:

I thought that as well but on board the Koningsdam I was told proudly that all the food was prepared in their CO kitchen.  They were quite adamant about it.

It’s absolutely not the case on rotterdam. There is one cook and she only prepares the special. We asked and that was the answer. 

Edited by Real NHDOC

1 hour ago, Real NHDOC said:

It’s absolutely not the case on rotterdam. There is one cook and she only prepares the special. We asked and that was the answer. 

I have only been on the Koningsdam and that was without CO.  However, my DW and I are booked on the Nieuw Statendam with CO for a transatlantic cruise this fall.  I guess I just assumed the the food was prepared in the CO  kitchen.  That is obviously not the case for the Rotterdam but from this picture, taken from Cruise Deck Plans, it appears that they may cook the food in CO on the Nieuw Statendam.  There are at least two chefs in the CO kitchen in this picture.  I wonder why the potential differences between Pinnacle Class ships?

NiePla-89892-1545671192.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HeyImOnABoat said:

Is it possible to book a reserved time in CO restaurant, or must you simply show up each night when ready to dine? Is there ever a wait for CO dining room, or is the demand low enough that its rarely an issue?

From pictures, it looks like the CO dining room is only about 15-20 tables?

No you can’t reserve and yes there sometimes is a wait.  They’ll try to get you in as soon as possible of course.  People were showing up and filling up the place soon after opening on our last cruise, if you showed up a little after that then you have a wait.  On the two occasions this happened to us we just went to the nearby main dining room.  Since they ask for your room number they can see you are CO.  Both times we were seated right away (table for two) at a great location, usually near the window.  

7 hours ago, TAW1963 said:

I have only been on the Koningsdam and that was without CO.  However, my DW and I are booked on the Nieuw Statendam with CO for a transatlantic cruise this fall.  I guess I just assumed the the food was prepared in the CO  kitchen.  That is obviously not the case for the Rotterdam but from this picture, taken from Cruise Deck Plans, it appears that they may cook the food in CO on the Nieuw Statendam.  There are at least two chefs in the CO kitchen in this picture.  I wonder why the potential differences between Pinnacle Class ships?

NiePla-89892-1545671192.png

When the K-Dam and NS were built the CO dining rooms were actually designed as demonstration kitchens for events, not as club orange. They converted them to CO and for at least the past several years that we’ve been on pinnacle class ships the kitchens have been used only for the special entree. Maybe in the beginning they did more cooking in them but since at least 2019 they only serve food prepared in the main dining room kitchen with the exception of the nightly special. And all of the breakfasts come from the main dining room kitchen too. 

13 hours ago, Real NHDOC said:

And all of the breakfasts come from the main dining room kitchen too. 

Perhaps much of the breakfasts come from the MDR kitchen but not all.  We had Club Orange on our Dec Nieuw Statendam cruise and they were definitely cooking some of the breakfast items in the Club Orange open kitchen.

11 minutes ago, AFNavigator said:

Perhaps much of the breakfasts come from the MDR kitchen but not all.  We had Club Orange on our Dec Nieuw Statendam cruise and they were definitely cooking some of the breakfast items in the Club Orange open kitchen.

Same on the Koningsdam in December & January.  

I could see them cooking and the eggs were definitely much hotter than in the MDR.

23 hours ago, kazu said:

Not on the NS.  Breakfast was prepared there tho.

1 hour ago, AFNavigator said:

Yes, I will amend my previous statement that some breakfast items are actually prepared in the CO kitchen. I cracked the code this morning. The entrees served on orange plates are made in CO while those served on white plates come from the MDR kitchen. It seems like they make omelets in CO. The other day I had a crab benedict that was made in the MDR. 

Just came off the Rotterdam 3/8 and paid for Orange Club on this cruise and the previous December cruise on the NS. Actually, our primary reason for purchasing OC is the separate dining area. It is quiet, compared to the MDR, very attentive staff who will help you with any special food needs/allergies etc. and the food is served hot. The priority boarding, tendering and possible cabin upgrade is nice too but the separate dining areas on the three HAL Pinnacle class ships is the biggest plus for us.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, PROCRUISE said:

Actually, our primary reason for purchasing OC is the separate dining area. It is quiet, compared to the MDR, very attentive staff who will help you with any special food needs/allergies etc. and the food is served hot. 

we're on the Koningsdam and I agree , we're in it for the dinning 😄