LIVE! Mardi Gras Redux 3/18 - 3/25 Let’s Cruise!

TravelBluebird

Host CMLA
This post was recognized by Host CMLA!

"Thank you for sharing your experience with everyone in the community. We'd like to encourage your to submit your review for publication to Cruise Critic as well."

TravelBluebird was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

My ankle has been put back together, and I’m back on the traveling trail!

As many of you know, I broke my ankle during a LIVE! on the Carnival Spirit last April.  After the break, I reported on what its like to have an emergency onboard a cruise ship. Here is what happened:

I’ve healed up very well!  Other than a swollen ankle in the evening after a big walking day, no other major problems, which is good because I know I’ll walk a ton on the Mardi Gras!  At some point I’ll give you all an update on how the insurance all worked out in the end. 

Also, I’m calling this a Mardi Gras Redux, because I took this exact same itinerary (Nassau…Amber Cove…Grand Turk) last year, about 6 weeks before my injury. Here is a link to my original LIVE!:  

SO, since I did an extensive LIVE! on this exact same ship//same itinerary last year, I thought this year I’d focus my LIVE! on all the things that are different this year, such as the Pandemic being over (no masks!) and being on a Spring Break cruise (something I swore I’d never do!). We’ve also had lots of reports that perhaps food quality and service has changed.  Have they? I’ll compare and let you know what I think.

Plus, I’ll be reporting on all the things I didn’t do last year on Mardi Gras that I’m doing this time.  The comedy shows, Chef’s Table, Pig & Anchor, some shows I didn’t see at Center Stage, etc.  And I’ll let you know about some brand new things, like the new Alcohol-free drinks at the Alchemy Bar, and the “new” Jack’s Shack in Grand Turk. I’m traveling with a vegan, so we’ll talk vegan food options, and I’m staying at a new port hotel.  Plus I’m happy to answer any questions you have while I’m on the ship.

Also new this year is I’m taking more video (since I have a new YouTube cruising channel, Cruising With Dee), but you’ll still get plenty of prose (y’all know I’m kind of wordy!) and my photos posted here. 

Thanks in advance for reading along and joining in! I love to do LIVES here because of the incredible Cruise Critic community; everyone here really helped get me through the fractured end to my Spirit cruise last year, and the aftermath.

In my next post I’ll tell you WHY I’m taking the exact same trip two years in a row!  
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Ok, so you are probably wondering WHY I’m taking the exact same cruise as last year!

Well, here’s how it went down.

In December, Carnival canceled the Jubilee TransAtlantic that was scheduled for this October, which I was booked on. We were given a generous credit (25% of our fare plus $200 onboard credit).  At the time, my Mom was ill and I just couldn’t figure out what I wanted to rebook.

So in late January, my friends who were our cruising companions for the Jubilee called us. They live in Idaho, it was REALLY cold there, and really cold where I live in Tennessee too. We decided we needed to book some “Fun in the Sun,” and book it fast—hopefully February or early March.  We decided we wanted to book the Celebration as the substitute for our cancelled Jubilee trip.

Well DANG that ship was super booked up. No chance in February, and in March, the only available dates were super expensive. So we looked at Mardi Gras (I’m the only one of the 4 who has been on it). We tried to find a different itinerary. Well again, February was BOOKED, so we looked at March. Only sailing that any reasonably priced rooms available (we stubbornly wanted Ocean Suites since that is what we booked on the Jubilee) was this one we are taking!  

Well I had FUN on the Mardi Gras last year, and its certainly heading into the sun, so off we are going!

Only other ship I’ve been on twice is the Carnival Splendor (from Long Beach and then years later from New York). 

We take off tomorrow morning; I’m so excited!

Edited by TravelBluebird
typos
  • Like 11

At the airport for our connection to Atlanta! Pouring rain but everything looks on time. Things went about as smooth as they could, considering I never can sleep the night before a cruise trip starts!

We ended up with 1 24” suitcase each and 1 carry on. I don’t carry a large purse for travel to Florida anymore, just a small cross-body bag that fits in carry on, because once on the ship I never use it again till we fly home.  Son is pet sitting//staying at house for us so he drove us to the airport.

Flew through TSA thanks to TSA Pre, and then did some shopping at the little gift shop at our airport. They actually have nice things, prices not too bad, and we have an hour to kill! Husband got a nice collared shirt with pocket and UT logo; if the basketball team lost last night I’m sure he wouldn’t have purchased it 😂

I got a soft generic “Tennessee” t shirt; will be great for dancing at the deck parties and hanging around the ship.

Next report probably from Orlando//Port Canaveral; perhaps a quick check in from Atlanta.

562D36DA-3F10-4121-886E-3A34423D0F49.jpeg

7D70572C-C80E-4379-A7AF-3958667DA68F.jpeg

CDABC1A2-A099-4C8E-8B7D-358D3C68B266.thumb.jpeg.6d61b925e8cf1a426fa0651d48dbc868.jpeg

87A982FA-04AF-4587-B4F6-80329A706AC4.jpeg

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 14

Just had my pacemaker replaced - sitting at home for 2 weeks with no driving. Living vicariously through your review.  Glad to see you are all healed up from your Spirit mis-adventure.  Let the fun begin!

• Like 3

Arrived in Atlanta on time!

Our next plane is HUGE -  a 767-300 🙀 for such a short plane trip.  Crazy; it’s totally full, 56 people on the wait list for first class (no seats available) and 14 people on standby (who haven’t cleared). Our flights were so expensive due to Spring Break, but evidently Delta could fill the seats even with such high fares!  

We walked from C gates where we laned to A gates. About 10 minutes, to get some steps in.   

Husband got a delicious red velvet cupcake from Boars Head Cafe (we are in A terminal). I got some unsalted cashews in case I get hungry; had to go on a lazy Keto diet beginning of this year; the inactivity//emotional eating after my ankle break put the pounds on.  My lazy Keto ends tonight at dinner ‘cause I’m enjoying the food this trip; steps (big ship!) and dancing ought to keep too many pounds from piling back on.  I hope.

Delta just let us know our bags are on the flight to Orlando! Gosh I love that feature. We have air tags, just in case, but still.

Expect to arrive in ATL around 2:15; meeting up with our friends from Idaho, then heading to our hotel in the Port area. We’re staying at the TownPlace Suites Port Canaveral; built in 2022, its a fairly new hotel, and only 1 mile from the Port. We picked it because the hotels near the port tonight were all asking between $300 to $400 a room (some over that!) and we could use our Marriott points for a room.

Gosh its expensive to travel during Spring Break! Still glad we are going. No regrets!

2A420D0B-36D3-4E11-86ED-09F2182CB69E.jpeg

25E480E3-6952-40C0-9D5F-DB7AA1427FA7.jpeg

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, TravelBluebird said:

had to go on a lazy Keto diet beginning of this year; the inactivity//emotional eating after my ankle break put the pounds on.  

I know the feeling, actually suffered a broken ankle and lower leg back in 2012, you can't help but gain weight when you are immobile 😂.  Glad you are venturing back out again, we went on our first European cruise a year after my accident and it was great.  Did have to rest my ankle in the evening due to swelling at times, but overall it was the best thing for me to get all that exercise.  Try to just take it slower and you will be fine!  Following along . . 

• Like 1

Just found out there is a rocket launch at Port Canaveral tomorrow night at 7:38pm; we are hoping to see it!

Welcome back TB, I remember your accident well and you turned out to be a poster child for travel insurance!  So happy things are all put back together and you are mobile again.

This past December (week before Christmas) we were cruising on MG and drove in the day before.  We normally stay in Cocoa Beach at the Marriott but decided to book at the new Marriott courtyard in Titusville.  We had no idea ahead of time, but when we checked we saw a sign for a rocket launch viewing that evening on the rooftop deck bar of the hotel.  It was awesome and DH got great pictures from the rooftop.  Then once we boarded MG and we were hanging out on the balcony of our suite right before sail away, another rocket went up and we had another great view from our balcony as the whole ship broke out in applause.  Great way to kick off a cruise for sure!  Have a blast!  

• Like 6

Our friends picked up their luggage exactly when we did; we met in the middle on the way to each other’s baggage claim!

Got a taxi at the airport (larger taxis were just sitting there, and we didn’t want to fuss with Uber. It was expensive—$130, not including tip  But considering a shared shuttle from MCO to hotels in the area would be around $25 per person or up, the extra $$ went to convenience.

Our hotel the Towne Place Suites is very nice! Big sitting area downstairs, pool, fire pits, restaurant, free breakfast in the morning, very nice front desk people. We ended up with a lovely room; definitely a free upgrade for being Lifetime Gold in Marriott because we booked a much cheaper room with the kitchen right in with the beds, and no view. We ended up with a lovely view of the water (not the port side) and a separate little kitchen area in the entrance.

We dropped off our bags, freshened up, and headed out to Fishlips for an early dinner. At first we thought of walking (25 minute walk) but when we realized we would have to walk on roads and grass, not good or safe walking all the way, we just took an Uber. Only $7.80 plus tip; showed right up (Uber X).

A word about getting to the cruise ship tomorrow. The hotel DOES have a shuttle but it doesn’t start till 10:30am. We have a 10am check in time (all in suites). We considered just taking the shuttle, but all feel like heck, we are allowed to be on the boat early, we want to be on the boat early! Hotel via phone before we arrrived said that they had some drivers they worked with and would hook us up with one when we arrived. This was not true.

SO, we pre-booked an Uber X for 9:45.  We hope we all fit in one with our luggage. VERY expensive; clearly surge pricing…$48!  Sigh. We decided we would just suck it up for $12 a person and take the Uber X.  Clearly we are not making smart financial decisions so far this cruise!

I’ll break here for some hotel//room photos, then I’ll post about our dinner and the Space X launch! Have 2 Queen beds because King rooms sold out; view is of the Springhill Suites and water beyond that. When I return home, I’ll also post some longer videos//reviews of port, hotel etc both here and on my Cruising With Dee YouTube channel.

00A29C19-0C11-4FB7-B0FA-6E9800FB57C7.jpeg

39522391-DD7F-4422-AF4F-A11AB53621E7.jpeg

9E01C655-75E7-4EC5-B2B8-1B898E5F5DE3.jpeg

6838036E-C1FD-491A-A810-3AA2D855CDBC.jpeg

E90E5CEE-B7A4-41B3-A0C1-4F9C681F632D.jpeg

F6D8166C-DA52-4347-8A65-38B808CDC2C1.jpeg

14041C10-28B8-4783-9936-5E2A1E32DD0B.jpeg

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 11

Ok, we got to Fishlips very early about 5, which was a very good idea because the place quickly got packed —normal busy before a big port day, PLUS a big Facebook group from our cruise PLUS lots of people coming later for the Space X launch.  Upstairs tables were all taken, too windy to eat outside, so we got a table downstairs.

We enjoyed it! Cheaper than a few of the other seafood places on the water in this area (Rusty’s, Grill etc). Not super fine dining, but very enjoyable, and just a great location (we got to see the Disney Wish go out to sea!). We ordered the seared tuna appetizer to share (very nice), I got the Coconut Crusted Grouper (good!) husband the risotto and scallops (salty scallops), and our friends the Fish and Chips (good; very nice chips), and my vegan friend the butternut squash poke bowl.  3 of us tried the Heiniken 0.0 beer (big step up from O’Douls!)  and 1 the Maker’s Mark bourbon.  

After dinner and the excitement of the Wish going by, we took a walk around the pier area. Saw some pelicans, sat by the small sandy area for awhile. We wanted to stay for the Space X launch, but we were tired and it was quite windy, so we headed back to the hotel, where we thought we could still see the launch, We did! It was great; we saw AND heard the rocket go over us; it was pretty loud even back at the hotel!

Chatted after in the nice sitting area in the hotel, and now here we are! Photos of Fishlips, our walk,  Disney Wish going by, and the Space X launch.

342AA76B-1FD1-4BAF-9D7B-E4BCF252D70B.jpeg

9ED131A5-6E2F-40AA-9869-F338A3D79CD7.jpeg

695A68D3-8B72-4377-95C3-411046C7F247.jpeg

83800E96-9A1F-40F1-89F6-3E7262A8AA51.jpeg

03E18A07-5377-40E7-95F6-5C8F2BFCB8EE.jpeg

B38250B8-7B4D-44B1-BCD7-B123E99AFD9D.jpeg

673FA3A8-04F5-4770-90E4-A8705106B2A7.jpeg

150FD8FE-0E9F-4CCE-850E-E2D009A5AC02.jpeg

33274ABB-6691-4A4C-801A-9DCFE82633EE.jpeg

E9EE62B3-44FD-4889-9485-D2E1AC52B844.jpeg

BFEA56C0-2AD1-4049-8225-A3E633456D16.jpeg

29D4C24E-5BED-40D4-B0A5-D2BDEB0E5492.jpeg

52E81503-DA8C-4410-894D-642AFC42DF69.jpeg

D68F32BC-59DA-4E5D-B51C-3889CC9569A5.jpeg

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 13

Left hotel at 9:45 exactly with our Uber.  Traffic at the light where you turn into the Terminal  3 parking lot//luggage drop off.

Luggage dropped off, walked up the flight of stairs to the bridge to check in.  10am check in and we were checked in and in Suites waiting area by 10:03!

waiting to board!

349B9C20-4DB6-48B5-AE7C-4D9DD7A9BA72.jpeg

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, TravelBluebird said:

Left hotel at 9:45 exactly with our Uber.  Traffic at the light where you turn into the Terminal  3 parking lot//luggage drop off.

Luggage dropped off, walked up the flight of stairs to the bridge to check in.  10am check in and we were checked in and in Suites waiting area by 10:03!

waiting to board!

349B9C20-4DB6-48B5-AE7C-4D9DD7A9BA72.jpeg

Happy Cruise Day! Excited to follow along on your journey 🙂

• Like 1

OK long day! Tons of fun and our friends already want to plan our next cruise together! This is their first time not only with Carnival, but their first ocean cruise!

Just got in from gambling; Ultra cruise but at least we could find machines this time; last year’s Ultra Mardi Gras cruise was insane!

Tomorrow on my sea day I’ll fill you all a full report with pictures—if you follow my LIVE! threads, you know I don’t let any moss grow under my feet, and today was no exception; I expected some time to post, but just didn’t have any!

I will say that two things made me SO happy today regarding my broken ankle recovery—dancing at the sail away party (with our amazing cruise Director Kyndall Fire) AND walking 17,000 steps. And my ankle is only a little swollen tonight; no pain!

In very abbreviated form, we did the following today:  Room was (almost) ready when we boarded (10:45). Luggage arrived around 3ish. Street Eats, Guys Burgers, Pig & Anchor and Pizza (not all 4 of us ate at all of that); explored entire ship, Watched part of the Tennessee basketball game (we won!) in Pig and Anchor. Tried 2 of the Lyre’s Spirits drinks at the Alchemy Bar. Did the sail away party; others in group watched sail away from Summer’s  Landing.

Had MDR dinner, then sat at Grand Central and had some yummy Choclitinis and NA beer for our non-drinker (Coors NA; earlier had the Sam Adam’s Haze) while we watched the Steel Drum performer, Trop Rockin Band, and the welcome show with Kyndall and various of the musical acts. We ran over to the 9pm comedy show, and then made most of the Playlist Rock Revolution show (Woodstock edition). Then gambling and here I am. Phew.

Had a great first day! More restful day tomorrow.  

I’m off to bed so I don’t get over tired! Let me know if you have any questions for me tomorrow! 

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 3