Cell phone use while at sea? Again!!!

uneamie

I want to make sure I have all this information straight. According to NCL, we can make calls using their NCL app! This is the info I found: "The Cruise Norwegian app also allows ship-to-shore calling capabilities; a 79 cents per-minute fee applies for this service." So in light of this, do I have to have a cell phone carrier that includes International calling? Mine does not...it's Cricket and they do not have International calling available. If I use NCL's app will my phone carrier matter? I was unaware that we could use this app to make these calls but now that I know, I just need to know the conditions that apply. I don't mind the 79 cents per  minute. That would not be an issue since if I make a call it will not entail long conversations. I just need to periodically check on my disabled brother in the care of my son. I will change my phone carrier if I have to. 

From what I have read in FAQ you can make ship to shore calls...the app costs US$9.95 for the cruise...then calls are currently 79c per minute. You use the app while in airplane mode so your carrier won't matter...you are using the ships wi-fi. Hopefully someone who has actually tried this will post.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CaptainBazz said:

From what I have read in FAQ you can make ship to shore calls...the app costs US$9.95 for the cruise...then calls are currently 79c per minute. You use the app while in airplane mode so your carrier won't matter...you are using the ships wi-fi. Hopefully someone who has actually tried this will post.

I believe ship to shore calls are $9.95 per minute.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vince_g said:

I believe ship to shore calls are $9.95 per minute.

I got that info from NCL's website under the FAQ section:

Yes, calls to friends and family back home are supported. To dial a: • U.S. based number: Area code + number. • International number: 011, the country code and number. A confirmation screen will appear displaying the rate for off-ship phone call prior to placing the call. The current rate for off-ship calling is 0.79 cents (U.S. $) per minute. This is a flat rate to supported countries. Important: Calls must be placed from within the Cruise Norwegian App.

The $9.95 cost is for the app for the entire cruise.

• Like 1

What about using WhatsApp?  I have very limited experience with it but it works off of wifi and so would be free as long as you have wifi minutes.

Maybe someone has used it onboard and can give pointers.  I know I've been able to use it with my prepaid tracphone when I was out of the country, so carrier definitely doesn't matter, just need wifi access and both parties must have the app on their phone.

1 hour ago, CaptainBazz said:

Yes, calls to friends and family back home are supported. To dial a: • U.S. based number: Area code + number. • International number: 011, the country code and number. A confirmation screen will appear displaying the rate for off-ship phone call prior to placing the call. The current rate for off-ship calling is 0.79 cents (U.S. $) per minute. This is a flat rate to supported countries. Important: Calls must be placed from within the Cruise Norwegian App.

Sorry I was quoting the price for using the phone in your cabin. Although I am a diamond latitudes member I have never had to make calls back home, except for one cruise where Gem's propulsion system failed down around Barbados. And on that cruise, NCL was giving us free calls, dialed by a staff member.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, julig22 said:

What about using WhatsApp?

I have also used the iPhone “FaceTime “ Audio (no video) with great success over Wi-Fi … only fly in the ointment is the party you are calling must have an iPhone also!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, julig22 said:

What about using WhatsApp?  I have very limited experience with it but it works off of wifi and so would be free as long as you have wifi minutes.

Maybe someone has used it onboard and can give pointers.  I know I've been able to use it with my prepaid tracphone when I was out of the country, so carrier definitely doesn't matter, just need wifi access and both parties must have the app on their phone.

I have used what's app with the regular NCL wi fi package

36 minutes ago, Indyopie said:

We just returned from a Panama Canal sailing on the Jewel. Kept our phones on airplane mode, used our free wifi minutes with WhatsApp to text and make calls and had no issues at all. 

Did the person you were calling have to have the WhatsApp Too? 

24 minutes ago, uneamie said:

Did the person you were calling have to have the WhatsApp Too? 

Yes. Once added, it automatically lists your contacts who already have the app or you can invite someone to use it. This was our 2nd time using it, very easy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mrdell said:

I have also used the iPhone “FaceTime “ Audio (no video) with great success over Wi-Fi … only fly in the ointment is the party you are calling must have an iPhone also!

they don't have to have an iPhone, but they do have to have an apple device that supports FaceTime. it could be a computer or tablet (iPad) or a phone.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, UKstages said:

they don't have to have an iPhone, but they do have to have an apple device that supports FaceTime. it could be a computer or tablet (iPad) or a phone.

That should work fine!! As long as they have an Apple device you should have no problem!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, janpa70 said:

What about cruises to Alaska? Can we use are cell phones there? If so how is the service?

No service at sea - not in range of cell towers.  Phones should work fine in ports, assuming your plan includes Alaska.  Canada service also depends on your carrier.

what is the model of the phone itself?

you may be able to use WiFi Calling, that is the phone call will be routed through the internet instead of a tower (or in this case a satellite). 

this may require you to upgrade your internet package...but that gives you "better" internet service too.

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/18/2023 at 12:32 PM, CaptainBazz said:

Just wanted to give an update on this. I was just on the Spirit and asked the IT manager about this and he said it didn't exist and you couldn't use the app to make calls. I showed him the section in FAQ and he made a couple of calls and then said 'yes' you can make calls. He then showed me how and gave me the texting package for free (I guess he was embarrassed at not knowing this).

When you buy the texting package ($9.95 for the cruise) you click on the calls icon top left...then enter the number you are calling...a box will pop up showing the rate you are paying (mine was a US call so $0.79 per minute). When you are done hang up. The charge shows up on your onboard account. Calls from the phone in the room were $4.95 per minute.