Photo package via Premier

JW22

Hi,

We are on an upcoming sailing from FLL. We have the premier photo package included. In order to receive all digital pictures do I need to take a USB stick? 

Thanks

5 hours ago, JW22 said:

Hi,

We are on an upcoming sailing from FLL. We have the premier photo package included. In order to receive all digital pictures do I need to take a USB stick? 

Thanks

No, they will give you a USB with the images. You will also be able to download the digital images from the Medallion app. 

Whatever you do, check to make sure your loaded USB works before you leave the ship (I bought one and watched them load it, but it would not work on my computer). Make sure you check the individual accounts of everyone in your party for pictures (last cruise I forgot to check my kids accounts, thinking they would be linked to mine, the photos weren't, so I missed a few).  Lastly check and make sure you have them downloaded on your app before you get off the ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, JW22 said:

We are on an upcoming sailing from FLL. We have the premier photo package included. In order to receive all digital pictures do I need to take a USB stic

On our cruise two weeks ago, they did not use a USB.  The Medallion (Princess) app has a place that you download it directly to your phone.  We wanted them put onto a USB stick and were will to pay for a USB stick, but they said that they didn't even have anyway to do that anymore.  It may be ship dependent on the answer to this question. But they will NOT ever use your USB stick due to the possibility of a virus (we  brought back their own from the last cruise and they wouldn't use it several cruises ago).

5 hours ago, Mary Ann 2 said:

On our cruise two weeks ago, they did not use a USB.  The Medallion (Princess) app has a place that you download it directly to your phone.

And if you do not own a smart phone?

17 minutes ago, caribill said:

And if you do not own a smart phone?

If you really want to work w your photos as opposed to just looking at them on your phone a USB stick is easier. Yes I know that you can transfer them to your computer but for the price they charge you and also considering that USB stick cost almost nothing they should give them to you on a USB stick.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, donaldsc said:

If you really want to work w your photos as opposed to just looking at them on your phone a USB stick is easier. Yes I know that you can transfer them to your computer but for the price they charge you and also considering that USB stick cost almost nothing they should give them to you on a USB stick.  

That really depends on a number of factors.  Are the photos you pull from the Medallion app highly compressed or low res jpegs or are they normal res jpegs, same as what you will get from the photo desk?  Yes, I realize that jpeg is a compressed format so there is always compression.  The likelihood of getting raw images from the photo desk on board is about zero.  So long as the photos you get digitally from Medallion are full resolution jpegs, you should be fine.

Also, having the right tools on your computer helps to be able to extract photos off a phone with ease.  My whole family is in the Apple ecosystem and exporting photos from iPhones or iPads to a Mac is super easy, and is easier if you have third party tools.  I long gave up on the iOS device management that is native in MacOS through the finder.  For years I did backups of iPhones and iPads through the Finder tools, but recently I have moved to a software product called iMazing which conducts similar backups, but you can put those back ups on any disk or network drive you wish, something that the native tools in the Finder can't do.  On top of that, after a backup, you can go through photos on a device granularly in the iMazing application and export and store photos wherever you wish, on the Mac, attached storage, etc., with great ease.

I do agree with @donaldsc if I have a photo package that says it includes taking away images on a USB stick, then I should get the photos on a stick.  And I also agree that photos on a stick, plugged into a computer are a lot easier to handle than working to get photos from a phone to a computer.  I guess I'm just pointing out that there's more than one way to skin a cat.

We had the Premier package and did d/l to our tablet.

We were supposed to get 3 different sized prints each, but ended up getting an extra 3 prints because the app kept saying we still had three left.  I note that the resolution of the images that we downloaded seems to be reduced from the print resolution.  Anyone else notice this?