Paris extension on our own

shadowlover

We will be ending a cruise in Paris in early October.  I have never been to Paris and know nothing about the city.  I welcome recommendations but especially want to know if we should hire a tour guide for any of the sites.  We will have three full days to explore.  Is it easy to navigate on your own?  What is a must see with a tour guide or skip the line ticket?  What is a typical tourist attraction that is better left for another day?

We will be at the end of a full three week trip as we extend on our own in Switzerland prior to the cruise.  We are in our 50's and very mobile, not hesitant to use public transportation.  I imagine I will be a little tired of sight seeing by the end and will be pushing myself to keep going but my husband wants to see an do too much.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Hello! It would be helpful to know what you are interested in to help with suggestions. However, if you are looking to check off the top sights, there’s the Louvre, Musee D’Orsay, Sainte Chapelle, Sacre Coueur and Versailles (among others). The Metro is very easy to use, just be super aware of pickpockets and there is a local train that goes to Versailles - don’t miss the Hamlet in the far back where Marie Antoinette played farm girl. We have used tour guides (Context tours and those booked by the concierge at our hotel) as well as explored on our own. Other fun things that I have enjoyed are ice cream from the famous Berthillion on the Ille St. Louis and taking a “short course” at Le Cordon Bleu. Early October will be a wonderful time to be there. Have fun!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Paris is very easy to navigate using the Metro. For us, Paris is all about the art. The state art museums have separated their exhibits by time frame. The Louvre is everything pre Impressionism, the Musee d’Orsay is Impressionism and post-Impressionism. The Pompidou Center is Modern Art. You can get a skip the line Paris Pass that includes most of the major museums.

I consider the d’Orsay a must see. It’s a converted train station and it houses some of the most famous French works of art in the world. On the upper level, the clock face of the former train station is made of glass and you have a tremendous view of Sacre Coeur.

You can spend the whole day in the vicinity of the d’Orsay. Across the river is the Musee l'Orangerie, a specially constructed building to house Monet’s giant waterlily paintings. Also within walking distance is Rodin’s mansion, where in the garden you’ll find The Thinker. His home is filled with hundreds of his sculptures. Napoleon’s tomb is also nearby. All are worth a visit.

I love Monet so for me any trip to Paris must include a visit to Musée Marmottan Monet. Here you’ll find his most famous work that named the entire era, Impression Sunrise.

The Picasso Museum is also a great place to visit. 

Sainte Chapelle has the most amazing stained glass in the world. 

d’Orsay:

55B5E30D-BF4A-44F8-BD15-65515C3409BD.thumb.jpeg.45ff5bb51f306a1973eb69126584ea91.jpeg47664369-F9D9-4587-A260-5FABF44C5A83.thumb.jpeg.6b6ac73b26744173b44f8d2adc717c42.jpeg4ECD8C6E-BF9A-4AAD-9D12-FB25429A073B.thumb.jpeg.2fc6af89a88b5636c8052fe36722567b.jpegAA7DDCED-EB10-4B16-A457-5B18CA7C439A.thumb.jpeg.9cac2c730f15de2c33e684df4e808e72.jpegF776E89C-1AB9-41D8-9826-60977FCF9307.thumb.jpeg.625c2499d96e3784aadbf57d5d20e9b3.jpeg45F2EEFC-4ABA-4B5C-9C26-23C43FEB1259.thumb.jpeg.20e7da4e3466a341f9aa536d2b18f7b6.jpeg

50EECED9-DAD7-42DB-A0C4-13CD68C452CB.jpeg

Sainte Chapelle:

F5FEE590-7FD2-43B1-85E4-1B98A684F115.thumb.jpeg.50342ae90329519205a9e9b9bf98ca09.jpeg0B5CA235-AF31-436A-849B-576E815D4E77.thumb.jpeg.98fa6d28110771963ffc75c9d8803ac6.jpeg8D975689-49EA-48C5-A1D2-AFE4A2EC3676.thumb.jpeg.2c1d18913cd0941ec68cf66221370c19.jpeg14E6EF76-A68F-4B89-AA0D-F0B3E4EC016F.thumb.jpeg.46845d519aa2b2c3d43c711d15a15363.jpeg

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, shadowlover said:

We will be ending a cruise in Paris in early October.  I have never been to Paris and know nothing about the city.  I welcome recommendations but especially want to know if we should hire a tour guide for any of the sites.  We will have three full days to explore.  Is it easy to navigate on your own?  What is a must see with a tour guide or skip the line ticket?  What is a typical tourist attraction that is better left for another day?

We will be at the end of a full three week trip as we extend on our own in Switzerland prior to the cruise.  We are in our 50's and very mobile, not hesitant to use public transportation.  I imagine I will be a little tired of sight seeing by the end and will be pushing myself to keep going but my husband wants to see an do too much.

Paris is our favorite European city; I've been there many times, and there are sites we always return to; be sure to get a Museum Pass, because if you plan to visit a few of these, you'll skip lines and probably save money as well. https://www.parismuseumpass.fr/t-en

Musee D'Orsay - the finest collection of Impressionist art anywhere; 

Musée Marmottan Monet - if you're a huge fan of Monet as we are, this museum's also worth a visit, because it has a huge collection;

Sainte Chappelle - the most beautiful stained glass I've ever seen, beating out (in my opinion) the Notre Dame before the fire, Chartres, several others, all of which I've visited; this is a must-see, and your Museum Pass would get you to the head of the line and cover its cost;

The Louvre - I'd save it for another trip; in one day, it'd be too much to see, along with either of the two above;

Champs D'Elysses - it's a large boulevard, lots of traffic, all the most famous brands like Hermes, Gucci, Louis Vuitton; while I like seeing the Arc De Triomphe, I'm not sure this is worth the time it would take to get there;

Eiffel Tower - not sure you want to spend your day getting up there, but again, the Museum Pass gets you in, and we were able to get in with a reserved spot, waiting only about 15 minutes; great views, even if you don't go all the way to the top;

Musee L'Orangerie - another great art museum on the banks of the Louvre, within walking distance of it;

Musée Rodin - a definite for us; we return to it every time we visit Paris.

If I were to schedule 3 days, as we did just last May:

Day 1: I'd take a half-day tour to Giverny to see Monet's house and garden; been there a couple of times, would go back again; in the same day you could schedule a visit to see Sainte Chappelle; you can walk to Notre Dame too, but sadly, there's nothing to see right now.

Day 2: Musee D'Orsay and the Eiffel Tower (even if you don't go up, you should get to its base to see its immense beauty); perhaps L'Orangerie as well, cuz it's just across the river; if your feet are up to it, you could grab an Uber to Musee Marmottan as well.

Day 3: The Louvre (not my favorite museum but of course it's perhaps the most famous art museum in the world), or maybe you take a day to sit at a cafe, watch people, do some shopping on the Champs; Sacre Couer is at the top of a hill and commands a great view of the city, but it's basically another church, and without visiting the nearby Montmartre district, I wouldn't take the time. Perhaps you could see Musée Rodin on this day.

Another great option is a day trip to Normandy to see the D-Day invasion beaches; it's a whole day, but so worth it. There are lots of available excursions online (Viator.com).

Other places we enjoy visiting: the Latin Quarter; the Paris Opera House (we saw a ballet there on one trip, and it was a fantastic place to see a ballet); take a hop-on/hop-off bus and tour the city. From one of these you can hop off, see something you find interesting, then catch another one a while later. Great way to catch some snapshots; I did that one year with my young son, and we enjoyed it a lot. 

A nighttime boat cruise on the Seine is pretty great, but you'll be on a boat with lots of other people; despite that, I liked it when I did it 30 years ago.

Edited by longterm
  • Like 2

Paris is my #1 favorite city and I’ve visited many times.  It’s easy to get around by walking, metro, or bus.  For just three days I’d stay in Paris.  Get a good guidebook (try Rick Steves Paris).  

Select a few museums (Louvre, Orsay, Orangerie, Rodin, Cluny).  Many now require advance purchase timed tickets.  Do the math to see if a Paris Museum Pass will save you time/money.  Note that everyone has to stand in line to go through security.  

If you want to do the Eiffel Tower, purchase tickets from the official website a few months in advance (https://www.toureiffel.paris/en/rates-opening-times).  It is not covered by the Museum Pass.

Attend a concert at Saint Chapelle (https://www.sainte-chapelle.fr/en/News/Concerts-at-the-Sainte-Chapelle-Paris-2023).  Nice music in a beautiful venue.  Get tickets for a performance that begins before sunset to see the stained glass at its best.

Do a one-hour cruise on the Seine.  The boats dock next to the Eiffel Tower.  Not necessary to purchase a ticket in advance.

Learn a few basic phrases in French.  

Plan to spend some time sitting in a cafe just relaxing and people-watching!

Everyone has their favorite place to stay.  Ours is the Hotel Empereur in the 7th arrondissement.  Hope you have a wonderful first trip to Paris! 

• Like 2

Wander the Rue Cler market—have a crepe on the street; your ticket for Ste. Chapelle will also get you into the Conciergerie where Marie Antoinette was imprisoned; wander the Tuileries gardens on a fine day; visit the bohemian neighborhood of the Marais—excellent museum of the art and history of Judaism there—plus a free museum on the history of Paris-Musee Carnavalet; stroll the Seine and take a boat; visit the flower markets and book stalls along the river; have a delightful delicious falafel at King Falafel—also in the Marais.

Edited by LindaS272

In addition to all the above, even if you’re not a shopper, you really should visit Galleria La Fayette - the building inside is spectacular and the view from the terrace at the top is superb.  Also, if you don’t want to wait for hours to get up the Eiffel Tower, Montparnasse Tower also give great views & without the queues.  Luxembourg Gardens are lovely to stroll around on a sunny day.

We are scheduled for a three night pre-cruise stay in Paris in June (hoping that all the protesting is done by then) before a Viking river cruise in the south of France. This will be our second visit, and we pretty much have our plans for the time there worked out.

Our first trip covered the Eiffel Tour, Notre Dame, six hours at the Louvre, the ride around to see the city, and a lot of just walking the streets of Paris. This time we will visit Versailles, the Musee d'Orsay, and Sainte Chapelle. Reading all your comments has really reminded me of how much I am looking forward to this trip!

• Like 3

Having been to Paris several times and travelled with my daughter who lived there for a college semester, I have pretty much done most of what has been discussed.  FWIW (and probably not much, honestly) if I had only three days I would forego leaving the city for the likes of Versailles and Monet's gardens and enjoy one of the most wonderful cities in the world.  Granted, my trips have been in May and June but personally, I hated Versailles and found it a waste of time and energy.  It was hot and crowded and when all was said and done it, for me, was just another palace full of gold and mirrors.  The gardens were better by far, but again the crowds and heat made it uncomfortable.  Monet's home and gardens might have been lovely but it was, again, hot and VERY crowded.  Whatever charm there may have been was lost to me.  It might be less crowded in October, but it will also be less "lush" in vegetation ... it isn't open past the 31st of October.

The last time we were in Paris we vowed to avoid the "big" sites and concentrate on lesser known (and less crowded) attractions.  It was the nicest trip we ever had!  We visited Musée Jacquemart-André; a smaller gallery housed in a former mansion.  It was a short walk from our hotel, it was quiet and uncrowded, and it was lovely!  We visited the Musée des Arts Décoratifs and happened upon a wonderful Gucci exhibition/retrospective (and I care little for fashion ... it was just beautifully curated)!  We pre-ordered a Paris Picnic and enjoyed a wonderful spread in one of the beautiful parks (Picnics in Paris by Zia ... they have a website) and it was one of the most wonderful meals we have ever had in Paris!  I still have the tote bag and it brings back wonderful memories every time I use it to tote my groceries from the neighborhood store!  

Enjoy your time in Paris and if it is your first trip, of course you must do some of the "signature" attractions.  The Louvre is worth a visit but keep it short ... you cannot see everything in three WEEKS, so stick to the "basics".  Musee D'Orsay is great, but again if your time is limited enjoy the unique setting and some of the works.  L'Orangerie is worth a trip but, unless you are a Monet "freak" you need not spend a full day.  The Eiffel Tower is lovely but, frankly the views from the middle lever are better than the top.  

• Like 2

Paris is one of my favorite cities!  We traveled there on our honeymoon, and rented a car and drove all around France for three weeks staying in chateaux (castles). Tres romantique!

My father also lived in Paris for three years, and he wanted me to learn French as a child, so I did take college courses to obtain a bit of fluency.  France is extraordinaire!

I realize everyone has their favorite places to see and visit, but my travels in Paris always include:  Of course we go to Notre Dame to the roof to see the gargoyles and bells (closed now), ooh and ahh at lovely Sainte-Chapelle's stained glass windows, climb up and down the Eiffel Tower, see the most famous sites of the Louvre, take a Seine dinner cruise, explore the palace and gardens of Versailles and  Fontainebleau, go to the Musee de Cluny to see the  Lady and the Unicorn tapestries, go to the Gustave Moreau house to see his original paintings, shop at antique and fine jewelry stores as well as Galeries Lafayette, and eat at some great restaurants! 

All of this we do independently, without tours, except perhaps for the palace visits.

The two royal palaces are half day trips, but for full-day trips I would consider doing a tour of Giverny with Rouen, or with Versailles, or the Normandy beaches, or even stretch it all the way to Mont Saint- Michel, but it will be a bit of a rushed day.

You will never be able to see or do it all, so the good thing is you must plan for a return trip!!  Bon voyage!

• Like 2

Liberty Bella,

Interesting that you always go to the Gustav Moreau Museum. We have a three night stay in Paris coming up, and that is one place that I am hoping to fit in to our schedule. With Versailles, Musee d'Orsay, and Sainte Chapelle on our schedule so far, it all depends on how our energy holds out with the first day really being the travel day. Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

On 3/19/2023 at 8:53 PM, formernuke said:

I would also recommend using the Batobus (scenic ferry) for getting around Paris. Nice views and can be faster than the metro depending on where you're at/going to.

https://www.batobus.com/en

Thanks for this suggestion-wondering if this would be just as enjoyable as doing a traditional Bateau Mouche with the added benefit of being able to get on and off? Thoughts?

17 hours ago, LibertyBella said:

You will never be able to see or do it all, so the good thing is you must plan for a return trip!!  Bon voyage!

Your post reminded me of an article I read recently with Rick Steves’ best piece of advice:

9BD02676-5373-4031-9F92-DB30995C085D.jpeg

• Like 1

You have only three days.  Since Clay mentioned Rick Steves, I would highly recommend you get his Pocket Paris guidebook. It’s very portable and very practical - even where to find restrooms.  Includes lots of maps.  Tours based on how much time you have.  You don’t want to waste time figuring out how to get where you want to go.   For your next trip, get one of the more in depth books.  Re Batobus:  it’s less expensive than Bateau Mouche, you can get multi-trip tickets, it’s lovely traveling down the river BUT it is very slow!

2 minutes ago, Geosez said:

BUT it is very slow!

Is that a bad thing?

also regarding Mr. Steves, his app has downloadable walking tours through Europe.  Haven’t looked yet (thanks for the memory jog!) for Paris but used them in Rome and elsewhere. 

On 3/19/2023 at 1:29 PM, shadowlover said:

We did a 3 day pre-cruise in Paris with Viking River and it was fantastic especially the hotel location which is in the heart of everything. Yes, Paris is about art and food. The French really know their cooking. With the hotel's recommendation, we were able to dine at two top Michelin star restaurants which totally blew us away. We visited all the main attractions except Notre Dame Cathedral because it was burned down. The one place we thoroughly enjoyed was the Eiffel Tower going up in elevator and coming down by stairs. A word of caution based on our experience ... not all French people speak English even in the heart of Paris. Same with Air France in the Charles de Gaulle Paris airport. We were absolutely shocked some of the staff at the Air France gate counter didn't speak a word of English or maybe they refused to speak English. Good luck.

• Thanks 1

We went way back when. We did the std items. 

Our memories? 

We had an Error at subway, Ticket agent ran after us to guide to proper location. 2. Vendor spoke zero English, BFF zero French yet they had a great discussion for 30 plus minutes. 

We did the STD stuff. 

What do you love? Do it,

We are going back after 25 plus years and cannot wait. 

1 minute ago, LindaS272 said:

Sandwich shop or the Paris Metro? 😉

Oh, We purchased our tickets, Walked one way, Ticket agent leaves her locked area to tell us OOPS wrong way. A Life moment

My way of touring a city begins with hotel selection.  In Paris, I choose to stay in the 6th arrondissement in St. Germain de Pres.  We are returning there on May 2, prior to our Provence sailing on May 9.  If you choose to walk, you'll find yourself immersed in history here. The Seine is a hop skip and a jump away.  Next to the church is the metro station. Taxis abound. 

My suggestion is to look at a map and orient yourself to where and what you would like to see and then buy advance/skip the line tickets. Musee L'Orangerie is small and wonderful, lunch on the Eiffel is fun, the Catacombs are worth a visit. There is so much to see.  Enjoy!

1 hour ago, Cienfuegos said:

Paris is a great walking city. Always something interesting and curious around the next corner.  People watching is superb.

Totally agree! We were there some years ago and stayed not too far from the Arc de Triomphe. There was a small wine shop across the street where I purchased a bottle of wine and chatted (in my very poor French with the very patient owner). The next time I returned he clapped his hands and said with a smile that he had just received a small shipment of wine from a favorite farmer and saved a bottle for me! I was so thrilled and felt I had “arrived”. It was the best wine I have ever had in my life!

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 3/28/2023 at 3:20 PM, YWW said:

We did a 3 day pre-cruise in Paris with Viking River and it was fantastic especially the hotel location which is in the heart of everything. Yes, Paris is about art and food. The French really know their cooking. With the hotel's recommendation, we were able to dine at two top Michelin star restaurants which totally blew us away. We visited all the main attractions except Notre Dame Cathedral because it was burned down. The one place we thoroughly enjoyed was the Eiffel Tower going up in elevator and coming down by stairs. A word of caution based on our experience ... not all French people speak English even in the heart of Paris. Same with Air France in the Charles de Gaulle Paris airport. We were absolutely shocked some of the staff at the Air France gate counter didn't speak a word of English or maybe they refused to speak English. Good luck.

Did you do the standard or premium extension? Was it worth doing? What hotel did you stay at?