LIVE from the most hated ship in the NCL fleet, Epic, March 26-April 2

spenecer

General complaints about the Epic that turned out to be true:

1. It is really crowded.

The ship sailed full and there were people everywhere. It was hard to move around on Deck 5, 6, 7 and 15 because of the large number of passengers. We compensated by allowing for more time to get places. 

2.  The elevators were slow and crowded.

The elevators were fast once you could get on an elevator but it was hard to board an elevator due to the large number of people taking elevators. We compensated by taking the stairs. Our room was really convenient to the elevator and stairs and the stairs weren’t that steep. I could do 7 decks easily (up or down!) before starting to feel tired. Deck 4 to Deck 18 was a haul but I’m sure I have nice strong quads now. 

3. Meals were slow.

All our meals in a sit down venue, complimentary or specialty, were about 2 hours. I’m not sure why a slow meal is bad. We only had to be somewhere once (for Burn the Floor) and we just had our dessert later that evening. Otherwise, we enjoyed each others company and had a slow meal where we could savor our food. 

4. There is too much food.

The Epic was a food nirvana. It was all delicious.  It was all too much. It was food excess on a massive scale. Portions were small but not small enough.  I felt so bad leaving food on my plate (starving children in Ethiopia!). I think the servers thought we were unhappy with the food so we took to ordering less food. 

5. Rusty water coming out of the Smokestack

I did get some rusty spots on my flesh from walking through Spice H2O or the area in the Aft of the ship near the Smokestacks. If you want to avoid the rusty water, check the direction of the wind and walk on the side of the ship where the wind is blowing away from. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I think I am almost as sad to see this review ending as you are to end your cruise. 

Thanks so much for a week of fun keeping up with your "epic drink and coffee" adventure that just happened to be on a cruise ship. You have a wonderful writing style and my DH and I had a blast following along. 

Please book another cruise so we can continue to live vicariously with you? 😇

Warmest, Amy

• Like 10

17 hours ago, spenecer said:

El Yunque Rainforest Drive and Airport Transfer

I liked the tour. It was an easy way to see a tiny bit of El Yunque before our flight and not too strenuous if you had stayed up late partying (or drinking) on your last night on the Epic.  I thought there was plenty of time to take photos at each stop. I would have liked to walk a trail but the most likely trail the tour could use is currently closed for repairs and it was steep so I don’t know if walking would be suitable for people who had gotten up at ‘Oh God o’clock’ to disembark. 

Puerto Rico is simply a worthy vacation destination on its own for us mainlanders--hopefully you and your daughter will be able to return, stay a few days, and enjoy its charms more fully another time!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, quercus alba said:

Puerto Rico is simply a worthy vacation destination on its own

I agree, I love visiting Puerto-Rico.  When cruising out of there I really enjoy arriving 2-3 days before so I can explore.  So much to see! 

• Like 4

Thanks to everyone who followed along my live blog from the Epic.  I'm back home.  The flights were uneventful except for the moment where all the power went out on the plane in the middle of a PA announcement (but at least we were still on the ground when it happened).

Thanks for all the drink suggestions.  I didn't have enough liver to try everything. And, despite what seems to be an egregious number of drinks per day, I never once tossed my cookies, nor did I get a hangover, so I was very careful not to induce cirrhosis during this trip (honest, really).  And, the staff on the Epic definitely accepts 'I was too drunk,' as a valid excuse for stupidity from their passengers.  Keep this in mind should you ever lose your money, your mind or anything else while cruising with Norwegian.  I definitely got my money's worth in internet, drinking, excursions, and dining.  The Free at Sea Plus upgrade really came through to make my tiny inside cabin (#12090) worth it. 

Someday I may cruise again if I can get a family member to come along.  There is much debate on whether the seasickness is worth it (but those meds from Guest Services work great!).

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

I am finally getting around to unpacking. Here is the Order of Disembarkation again. Note that the GM is now Amir Tikvesa because the GM at the meet and greet left the ship at Aruba as it was the end of his contract. 

They change over 50 crew every week and will change over 150 crew at NYC before the transatlantic voyage. 

32D4E4F2-609F-4282-86DC-680096B3DD2B.jpeg

On 3/20/2023 at 10:11 AM, Oakman58 said:

The toilet will be on one side of the cabin and the shower will be on the other side with path into the living area in the middle.  Both areas are enclosed with frosted glass so you can see the silhouette of the person inside.  The washbasin is actually in the cabin area.  It’s a sight and sound experience.

We're on the Epic in October.  It was booked without reading reviews, so I really laughed at the descriptions here.  My take is that there's no 'bad cruise or ship' so I know we'll have a good time because we keep our expectations low.  The bathroom layout seems perfect for two people sharing a cabin.  If you know each other well enough to be in the same cabin, why would seeing your roomie's 'silhouette' in the shower be a problem?  People are indeed weird.  I am looking forward to reading this thread ... so much information can be gained by reading others' experiences.

Edited by jsn55
clarity
  • Like 1

On 3/28/2023 at 3:59 AM, spenecer said:

Day 3

Drink #1 and #2 are a Venti Caramel Macchiato and a Grande Vanilla Bean Frappuccino 

750E8DAE-BE74-4C34-8C19-CE387967BD7C.thumb.jpeg.6c1755ff44addf73889646f18af6662e.jpeg

I’ve headed to the Buffet for the breakfast of champions, bacon, after my morning Starbucks run. 

Today is Aruba and this was the first excursion that I booked for us through NCL because after our excursion credits, it was free. For $49, we are getting on the Kukoo Kunuku bus and shaking some maracas. This is sure to mortify my daughter. The tour is described as going to Casibari Rock Formations and then the beach. I wanted to see natural sights and my daughter wanted beach so 4 hours of a little something for both of us. And maracas. If we get maracas, I’m shaking them.

Really enjoying these posts!!

On 3/29/2023 at 12:06 PM, Fifi1910 said:

I love the spa but every time I get a treatment they try and sell me Botox or fillers. Every time I come away depressed about how I look. I didn’t think I looked that bad for an old bird 🤣🤣. At a captains party in the Haven on my last cruise I told the Spa manager that it wasn’t good that they were doing this whilst someone’s trying to have a relaxing treatment, he thought it was funny. It certainly puts me off. 

I agree with you about the 'personal services'; I usually avoid it all, but over Christmas on Royal Princess I read about a 'complimentary hair consultation' and thought I'd stop by, my hair seems to be getting 'wiry' and ugly lately.  I suspect it's the grey under the color/highlights.  My hairdresser does a great job, but her English is not so good, so discussions like this don't happen.  First, the front desk knew nothing about this offer.  Finally I was shunted to the 'top stylist' and told her my concerns and need for advice.  She said "You need a keratin treatment, it's $90."  I just stared at her, she remained silent.  I thanked her and left.  It's too bad they're such money-grubbing places, I'll certainly never go back for anything at all..  

21 hours ago, jsn55 said:

We're on the Epic in October.  It was booked without reading reviews, so I really laughed at the descriptions here.  My take is that there's no 'bad cruise or ship' so I know we'll have a good time because we keep our expectations low.  The bathroom layout seems perfect for two people sharing a cabin.  If you know each other well enough to be in the same cabin, why would seeing your roomie's 'silhouette' in the shower be a problem?  People are indeed weird.  I am looking forward to reading this thread ... so much information can be gained by reading others' experiences.

I'm amazed that people are still reading this 'live' review now that the cruise is over.  I'm glad you are enjoying it.  I did learn (unsurprisingly) that while I didn't have any issues with my teenage daughter seeing me naked, she had issues with me seeing her naked.  All that teenage self-consciousness needs a few more years of maturity before she can reach either 'I don't care' or 'I look F* awesome.'  I was required to draw the red curtain between the shower/toilet area and the rest of the room so that she could change in privacy.

Also, she complained that the room was too cold and that all the interior spaces on the ship were too cold.  She wore her 'boyfriend sweater' everywhere.  I thought the interior temperature was just fine (and never pointed out the thermostat on my side of the room).  I was never hot or cold.  My daughter claims that the temperature is only perfect for women in menopause (Could that have marketting value?  Sail NCL if you are in menopause.  You finally have money, spend it with us.).

• Like 3
  • Haha 11

3 hours ago, spenecer said:

I'm amazed that people are still reading this 'live' review now that the cruise is over.  I'm glad you are enjoying it.

Of course, thank you for taking the time to share, post and take us along ... making notes and visualizing.  Videos on YT are also useful & informative to compliment/supplement what's posted here and being able to get some questions answered & concerns clarified - packing & adjusting, making notes of things as we get ready to cruise and travel soon.