End of Season Trip

Donna_In_India

Has anyone done the last trip of the season - last week of March into first few days of April? We've been trying to work around a school schedule since our previous trip was canceled due to COVID. I've just heard that "most of the penguin colonies have emptied out as the penguins leave for winter" at that time. Obviously, penguins are a big draw so...will we not see penguins? Is the Drake Passage much worse at that time? Any other info would be appreciated. I think it we don't go in 2024, it will be another 4 years or so until we can work the dates. Thanks! 

The Drake is a gamble any time during the season. The statistical differences through the season are negligible.

Penguin colonies do clear out, as penguins are sea birds and only go ashore for long periods during mating/nesting season. You will likely still see some penguins that late in the season, but far fewer, and you won’t be able to observe the behaviors of a nesting colony. Expect a few groups to be sitting around on shore or ice floes, resting or molting. i.e. not doing much.

Whale watching is often still good late in the season. And the ice is there.

My last trip was late season, and while I still enjoyed it, I wouldn’t choose it if I wanted to see penguins doing cute penguin things.

1 hour ago, kaisatsu said:

The Drake is a gamble any time during the season. The statistical differences through the season are negligible.

Penguin colonies do clear out, as penguins are sea birds and only go ashore for long periods during mating/nesting season. You will likely still see some penguins that late in the season, but far fewer, and you won’t be able to observe the behaviors of a nesting colony. Expect a few groups to be sitting around on shore or ice floes, resting or molting. i.e. not doing much.

Whale watching is often still good late in the season. And the ice is there.

My last trip was late season, and while I still enjoyed it, I wouldn’t choose it if I wanted to see penguins doing cute penguin things.

Thanks! I'm pretty torn but the penguins are an important part of the trip for us. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I recall researching the best time of the year to visit Antarctica, and, as with most things, there were definitely better times for certain sites, animals, etc. during parts of the season.  Earlier is usually better for whales, etc.

You might want to try a bit of Internet research on this topic:  "best time to visit Antarctica"

We’re just back from the last cruise of the season on Oceanwide’s Hondius, visiting the peninsula from Ushuaia 14-27 March, followed by the repositioning voyage via South Georgia, Gough, Tristan, St Helena & Ascension. This was our third visit to the peninsula after previous trips in October (by icebreaker) and in December/January.

Whilst March was a good experience it did not live up to our memories of the earlier visits which were truly spectacular. Certainly we saw many thousands of penguins on the peninsula, but many were moulting. There were virtually no chicks and none of the nesting behaviours that are so fascinating to watch.  We had some great fin whale and orca sightings but, if whales are your priority, you can get better sightings in the northern hemisphere (eg Alaska and the Aleutians or Baja California) for a lower ticket price. 

It was our second visit to South Georgia (previously December) and the Island was equally astounding on both our visits. King penguins breed year-round so tens of thousands of shaggy brown chicks are present whenever you go. Fresh snow in early April added to the scenic beauty

The Drake was smooth as silk southbound but the roughest we have experienced northbound, so I think you take your chance at any time of the year!

Hope this helps your planning. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/9/2023 at 12:07 AM, Devonian said:

We’re just back from the last cruise of the season on Oceanwide’s Hondius, visiting the peninsula from Ushuaia 14-27 March, followed by the repositioning voyage via South Georgia, Gough, Tristan, St Helena & Ascension. This was our third visit to the peninsula after previous trips in October (by icebreaker) and in December/January.

Whilst March was a good experience it did not live up to our memories of the earlier visits which were truly spectacular. Certainly we saw many thousands of penguins on the peninsula, but many were moulting. There were virtually no chicks and none of the nesting behaviours that are so fascinating to watch.  We had some great fin whale and orca sightings but, if whales are your priority, you can get better sightings in the northern hemisphere (eg Alaska and the Aleutians or Baja California) for a lower ticket price. 

It was our second visit to South Georgia (previously December) and the Island was equally astounding on both our visits. King penguins breed year-round so tens of thousands of shaggy brown chicks are present whenever you go. Fresh snow in early April added to the scenic beauty

The Drake was smooth as silk southbound but the roughest we have experienced northbound, so I think you take your chance at any time of the year!

Hope this helps your planning. 

Looking at doing this trip in 2025. Don't want to hijack this post but was wondering how was the visits to Tristan and St Helena?

Tristan was difficult because of wind and swell from the north west making a zodiac landing in the tiny harbour unsafe. After two days circling the island and much frustration from passengers and expedition team alike we managed a short - and very wet - beach landing at Sandy Point. This was rather a disappointing outcome because we didn’t get a chance to visit the settlement or meet the local people - but that’s how it goes on an expedition cruise!

Saint Helena was much more successful. Hondius spent two nights at anchor, giving us the best part of three days to explore the island. Oceanwide arranged a comprehensive guided coach tour for all passengers and a variety of extra cost excursions were offered. Our highlights were sighting the endemic Saint Helena plover (the “wirebird”) and whale sharks in Jamestown harbour. Others appreciated the sites and history of Napoleon’s exile on the island. At least one passenger spent a night ashore in a local b&b as an apparently welcome break from life on the ship. 

Overall this was a well-run and memorable expedition. Be ready for a lot of long sea days and be sure you will be happy to mix with a very serious (borderline obsessive) group of international passengers. Most people on board were pursuing specific objectives; to set foot on remote territories or to spot  - and photograph - specific species of bird or marine mammal. The expedition team included very highly qualified birders and scientists - and did their utmost to ensure everyone was able to achieve their personal goals. 

• Like 2