Anthem of the Seas Mar 12-19 2023- Quick Review

Quick review and thoughts/observations on our March 12-19 Anthem of the Seas cruise. Your opinions/experiences may be different, but I know I appreciate reading these quick reviews - always tidbits to help others. 

Cruise: 7 night Bahamas cruise out of Bayonne NJ

Ship: Anthem of the Seas

Ports: Port Canaveral(Skipped), Nassau, Cocco-Cay 

People: 2 

Cabin: 10248 hump balcony

Embarkation.  (Score: 10/10) 

We got the 10:30 am boarding time slot, so we drove up to the port at about 9:30am.  Dropped off luggage with the porters, and drive into the parking garage.  Cost $175 for the duration of the cruise.  Since we were there early, we were able to park on level 1 if we wanted, but we went up to level 2, on the closest row to the cruise terminal.   

It was a short walk to the terminal entrance( ~ 100 yds).  Inside the terminal, there were lines for security to check bags, etc.  That took all of 10 minutes.  After that - we just walked right up to check in - no lines.  We were then directed to the waiting area where all the chairs were lined up to await the boarding call.  We logged into the app, and did the safety videos, so all we had to do after boarding was check in at our muster station. At about 10:10am, they opened the door, and called for row by row to go onto the ship. Very organized. We stepped foot on the ship at 10:22am.  

People were anxious to get the muster station check out of the way, so there were small line ups (~ 40-50 ppl) starting to form at the various muster checkpoints through the ship.  Problem is - the crew didn't show up until 10:30. We decided not to wait in line, and went right to Jamie Olivers (deck 5 - same level as boarding) and book our specialty dining times (we bought the 3 night package).   We opted for Jamie Olivers x2 and Chops x 1.   Opted not to experience Wonderland. 

Then we went to the Windjammer for lunch.  We got there at about 10:45 am. Sign says it opens at 11:00, but they were just opening the doors, so we were one of the first 10 people in. Got a great window seat looking at the NYC skyline. Grabbed a bite to eat.  Food selection was outstanding.  Very impressive.  Embarkation lunch is one of my favourite times of a cruise - everyone is happy.   

Internet. (Score: 3/10)

We purchased a 2 device package.  I was optimistic when I connected in the windjammer during that embarkation lunch - 100 Mbps.  niiiiice.   But, the feeling quickly left later in the day.  Connectivity was absolutely horrible. Speeds in the public areas were decent (5-10 Mbps), and a little worse in our cabin (3-5 Mbps), but it just kept losing connection and not easily reconnecting.  I guarantee I turned wifi on/off at least 60-75 times over the week.  I even tried switching from Randomized MAC to using Phone MAC - with no change.  At least when I was connected, speed was not a concern. 

Food. (Score: 8/10)

Very subjective. Skip this section if you're looking for a bone to pick with my opinions.  We got the 3 night specialty dining package, and ended up Jamie Olivers x2 and Chops x1. The rest of the nights, we ate at the windjammer.  This is not our norm as we normally would do the MDR, but we had such a great experience with the WJ that we kept going back.  Selection was great, food was fresh (we always went between 5:30-6:00pm). Jamie Olivers and Chops were both outstanding.  We didn't feel like experiencing Wonderland, so we skipped that option.  

Shows (8/10)

We Will Rock You was by far the best show at sea we've seen (we've only cruised 13 times, and have not been on Oasis class).  LOVED that show.  I give that one a 10/10

The Gift was weird. Cool enough performance, but I could not follow the story nor the connection to the music.  (6/10)

Headliners: Good comedian, so-so singer/impressionist (8/10)

Did not make it to The Spectre

Cabin. (10/10)

We had originally bought a deck 6 obstructed (lifeboats), but won a Royal Up to a spacious balcony on deck 10 hump. Balcony was huge - we spent a lot of time out there except on day 1 and day 7 (cold).  Cabin was great.  Beds were a little firm, but were fine.  Tons of storage. 

Ship (8/10)

Spent a lot of time in the Solarium. Loved that area.  The ship never felt crowded.  

Onboard shopping - if you like Royal Caribbean gear - you will be disappointed with the lack of options.  Lots of stores, but the Royal Gear sections are almost non-existent.  We were surprised. 

Ports/Excursions(7/10)

Port Canaveral - disappointed that we missed it, but only because there was a SpaceX launch that same evening -we would have been ~ 25-40 miles out at sea at launch time. 

Nassau - We did the Blue Lagoon Beak Break tour - felt like nothing but cattle - get on this boat... get off... ok, see you at 5pm... the place was PACKED.  The lunch area was always packed, and had a long line. Had a very hard time finding loungers, and most are in the sun - there are a few umbrellas.  This wasn't an issue for us since it was overcast, but if this was a sunny day, it would have been brutal.  I do not recommend this excursion at all (5/10)

CocoCay - paradise.  Perfect day for sure.  Nothing bad to say about Coco Cay. We rented a cabana on Chill Island.  (10/10)

Overall, we loved the cruise.  First time cruising out of Bayonne.  My DW works in the schools, so we can only get away at Spring Break and Summer, so for Spring break, we either drive to Florida (we love the drive) and do a 4-6 day cruise.  This time we opted for the 7 hour drive to Bayonne, and more time on the ship. We would make either choice again.  

Overall score 8/10

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Max and Ruby said:

@Toddcan  What time did the garage open for you? I was told on another thread that the garage doesn't open until 10, but it looks like you were able to get in before 10.  TIA!

It was open when we pulled in - it must have been about 9:45 or so?

• Thanks 1