DPReview web site closing

The site was sort of like a 'Cruse Critic Forum' for photographers, but Amazon has elected to pull the plug despite a 25 year accumulation of user generated content.

You have until April 6th to log in and download any content you may have there.

Their forums go read-only on April 10th, and the site and all its content, vanishes shortly afterward.

image.png.e53fdb0ac9a12be9f600d216b5794082.png

DPReview has been the go-to site for researching camera tech since digital emerged as a solid alternative to film in the late '90s. I was put off for a while when Sony took over Minolta's imaging division due to the oddly placed bias they showed towards a "TV and Stereo company" trying to get into the photography market. Having taken the Sony path after the transition, I took being reminded that I hadn't opted for switching to a "real" camera company a little bit personally but stuck with Sony anyway. (I'm sure I could say something about vindication, but that would be petty.) Time went on and the bias faded as all the cameras became more and more magical in their abilities. I have enjoyed the addition of the DPReview TV with Chris Nichols and Jordan Drake who came over from The Camera Store in Calgary a few years ago. I have found their entertaining assessments of new tech fair and informative. Several sites have faded over the years, and some have just disappeared, but I thought DPR had a solid future when Amazon acquired them. I guess I was wrong.

I hope some site steps up to fill the gap and I hope someone picks the DPReview TV show. 

Oh, well. 

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Aww that’s unfortunate, I haven’t been a regular visitor to that site since I got laser eye correction which meant white text on a black background was a special form of torture but it was always where I checked for reviews on new kit even then. 

On 3/21/2023 at 9:38 PM, pierces said:

image.png.e53fdb0ac9a12be9f600d216b5794082.png

DPReview has been the go-to site for researching camera tech since digital emerged as a solid alternative to film in the late '90s. I was put off for a while when Sony took over Minolta's imaging division due to the oddly placed bias they showed towards a "TV and Stereo company" trying to get into the photography market. Having taken the Sony path after the transition, I took being reminded that I hadn't opted for switching to a "real" camera company a little bit personally but stuck with Sony anyway. (I'm sure I could say something about vindication, but that would be petty.) Time went on and the bias faded as all the cameras became more and more magical in their abilities. I have enjoyed the addition of the DPReview TV with Chris Nichols and Jordan Drake who came over from The Camera Store in Calgary a few years ago. I have found their entertaining assessments of new tech fair and informative. They wrote articles very cool, I only saw something like this on https://edubirdie.com/assignment-help when I ordered texts at the university. Unique, with fresh ideas, without plagiarism, in general, they wrote very good works. Several sites have faded over the years, and some have just disappeared, but I thought DPR had a solid future when Amazon acquired them. I guess I was wrong.

I hope some site steps up to fill the gap and I hope someone picks the DPReview TV show. 

Oh, well. 

Dave

I don't consider DP review as just another website, it's an encyclopedia for digital photography. It was a pity to hear about its closure. By the way, as I see it, their forum is still alive.

• 2 months later...