Norwegian Joy, Transatlantic, Jan 6, 2024

chukabird

Hello everyone.  I can't seem to find any chatter about this cruise we booked in February.  I have a few questions so hopefully someone will join in.  I read the Joy cancelled it's itinerary for the beginning of 2024 and it's doing the transatlantic instead.  This seems rather unusual since it has NO itinerary once we disembark Jan 19th until I believe Feb 4, at which time it's doing a reverse transatlantic back to Miami.  1) is this typical to come back so quickly 2) if this is an overhaul can it be done in approximately 2 weeks & lastly I am seeing very little activity for Southampton shuttles in Jan to London so have I picked a very bad time to visit England?  Would love to chat with others about this cruise.  Yes I love cruising on a less than full ship, but I don't want to cruise for 13 days with just hubby and myself😉

have you looked on the big social media site for fellow travellers ?

Last fall my Roll Call was dead, but someone suggested the other site. I started with the name of the ship and eventually found my way to the equivalent of a rollcall.

12 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

have you looked on the big social media site for fellow travellers ?

Last fall my Roll Call was dead, but someone suggested the other site. I started with the name of the ship and eventually found my way to the equivalent of a rollcall.

I've been checking on f/b since that is the only social media platform I am on.  Thanks for the tip, will keep scrolling

I would also be concerned about a TA in January/February . I am looking at one for December and question the weather for the crossing.  I didn't realize that they did them in Jan/Feb.   Yes also I would be concerned about the delay w/drydock especially buying the one way flight for embarkation.  I wouldn't be that concerned about getting from  the port to  London as they have a very good transportation system that I assume continues in the winter.  Perhaps someone from that area can chime about transport to the port in the winter. I also assume that  NCL will run shuttles for a price

Edited by bedfordmom

5 hours ago, luv2kroooz said:

If it a cruise that is immediately before or after a drydock, proceed cautiously. Expect to have some disruption on your ship as they prepare for/clean up from drydock.

Rereading my post & I realize it was a bit confusing.  I booked it Feb 2023 for Jan 2024. So we will be heading over prior to drydock.  Also I have heard back from several private transportation companies and it appears they offer no shared transportation Jan/Feb but do offer private.  There is also limited bus & train schedule & yes NCL offers transport to Heathrow.  I really need to think about this cruise.  Thanks for all input.

22 hours ago, chukabird said:

I am seeing very little activity for Southampton shuttles in Jan to London so have I picked a very bad time to visit England?

There are no "shuttles" from Southampton to London, which is about 80 miles away.  There are buses and trains, as well as private car transfers.   How to get from one city to the other is a regularly asked and answered question over in the British Isles Port of Call forum (so much so that there's even a pinned thread at the top of the forum); it would be a good resource for you: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/148-british-isleswestern-europe/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

There are no "shuttles" from Southampton to London, which is about 80 miles away.  There are buses and trains, as well as private car transfers.   How to get from one city to the other is a regularly asked and answered question over in the British Isles Port of Call forum (so much so that there's even a pinned thread at the top of the forum); it would be a good resource for you: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/148-british-isleswestern-europe/

Thank you so much.  I have just taken a peak @ the thread and it looks very informative.

12 minutes ago, chukabird said:

Thank you so much.  I have just taken a peak @ the thread and it looks very informative.

You’re very welcome. The entire forum is excellent. Lots of very helpful Brits and other local experts. 

9 hours ago, bedfordmom said:

I would also be concerned about a TA in January/February . I am looking at one for December and question the weather for the crossing. 

I was on a TA in January back in 2013 (not NCL but Cunard)  Maybe I was lucky but the weather was  not a problem.  Properly dressed it wasnt too cold out on the decks.  One morning it snowed  The ocean is beautiful in the middle of winter.  We had one rocky overnight but that was it.   Probably not sitting out on the balcony type of weather though.   

1 hour ago, Smitheroo said:

I was on a TA in January back in 2013 (not NCL but Cunard)  Maybe I was lucky but the weather was  not a problem.  Properly dressed it wasnt too cold out on the decks.  One morning it snowed  The ocean is beautiful in the middle of winter.  We had one rocky overnight but that was it.   Probably not sitting out on the balcony type of weather though.   

Normally reserve a balcony but on our TA in Jan opted for a large picture window, which sounds like a good choice.  Feeling much more comfortable with all the input.

On 3/21/2023 at 3:15 PM, chukabird said:

I am seeing very little activity for Southampton shuttles in Jan to London so have I picked a very bad timoe to visit England? 

Does NCL run buses to the various transportation hubs like Heathrow etc?  In 2013 I had figured out which bus and subway I needed to get to St Pancreas station in London from Southampton. It was going to be a complicated route.  On the ship (Cunard)  another passenger told me just to book the Cunard bus which goes right to the station. (other buses went to the airports) I think it was $75  So I forfeited my bus ticket (which was very much cheaper) and took the Cunard bus (which was so much easier)  I would think NCL would do the same?  But if it doesnt,  you can make your own way with a little research (I even bought the bus ticket in the US online).

I know this doesnt have to do with your question but I was amazed how easy it was to make connections.  I was going to St Pancreas to get a train going north to  the Midlands. I bought the ticket online in the U.S.  When I got to the station I punched a code/password into the ticket kiosk and out popped my train ticket.  

Edited by Smitheroo

13 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

Does NCL run buses to the various transportation hubs like Heathrow etc?  In 2013 I had figured out which bus and subway I needed to get to St Pancreas station in London from Southampton. It was going to be a complicated route.  On the ship (Cunard)  another passenger told me just to book the Cunard bus which goes right to the station. (other buses went to the airports) I think it was $75  So I forfeited my bus ticket (which was very much cheaper) and took the Cunard bus (which was so much easier)  I would think NCL would do the same?  But if it doesnt,  you can make your own way with a little research (I even bought the bus ticket in the US online).

I know this doesnt have to do with your question but I was amazed how easy it was to make connections.  I was going to St Pancreas to get a train going north to  the Midlands. I bought the ticket online in the U.S.  When I got to the station I punched a code/password into the ticket kiosk and out popped my train ticket.  

Yes, my PCC said there is a shuttle to Heathrow for $75 per person, so it is an option. We wantt to stay in downtown London for 5 days so looking at all options.  Hubby perfers a more direct route, he was in England with the AF 50 years ago (really)😂, and he's realizing things have changed.

17 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

Does NCL run buses to the various transportation hubs like Heathrow etc?  In 2013 I had figured out which bus and subway I needed to get to St Pancreas station in London from Southampton.

If NCL doesnt have buses to the train stations but they do have them to Heathrow go on one of those. The subway/underground/tube goes right to Heathrow. The Picadilly line goes from Heathrow to Kings Cross/St Pancras. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/21/2023 at 3:15 PM, chukabird said:

Hello everyone.  I can't seem to find any chatter about this cruise we booked in February.  I have a few questions so hopefully someone will join in.  I read the Joy cancelled it's itinerary for the beginning of 2024 and it's doing the transatlantic instead.  This seems rather unusual since it has NO itinerary once we disembark Jan 19th until I believe Feb 4, at which time it's doing a reverse transatlantic back to Miami.  1) is this typical to come back so quickly 2) if this is an overhaul can it be done in approximately 2 weeks & lastly I am seeing very little activity for Southampton shuttles in Jan to London so have I picked a very bad time to visit England?  Would love to chat with others about this cruise.  Yes I love cruising on a less than full ship, but I don't want to cruise for 13 days with just hubby and myself😉

My wife and I are on the February 5 Southampton to Miami. Also surprised at the several day gap after Miami to Southampton. My guess either a private group short cruise or short term maintenance? We just didn't feel like a long flight and got a great deal. Heard the Joy was good for a winter Atlantic crossing. Less than full occupancy would be a treat. We were on one of the first post covid cruises from Greece.  Occupancy between 50% and 60%. Loved it!