Verizon international plans for Italy

dreamboat43

23 minutes ago, dreamboat43 said:

Has anyone used Verizon's international plan while traveling in France and Italy?  If so, did you have reliable service?   Would you recommend it?  

Yes. Travelled extensively in Italy with it last year and for the most part a good experience. Just bills $10 a day and you get a text each morning when it kicks in.

They do slow down your data after a certain amount so just make sure to connect to Wifi where it is sensible to do so (like your hotel room) as things like streaming, while they will work over the network, will eat your data up quick. Once you go through it, the phone's data slows down noticeably but this has zero effect on making or receiving calls. Data speed is then restored the next morning when the new day kicks in. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Yes. Travelled extensively in Italy with it last year and for the most part a good experience. Just bills $10 a day and you get a text each morning when it kicks in.

They do slow down your data after a certain amount so just make sure to connect to Wifi where it is sensible to do so (like your hotel room) as things like streaming, while they will work over the network, will eat your data up quick. Once you go through it, the phone's data slows down noticeably but this has zero effect on making or receiving calls. Data speed is then restored the next morning when the new day kicks in. 

did you have any problems or "slow down" using google maps for sites?

Three years ago we had problems with it using iPhones but daughters Samsung was fine???

Edited by Gen X Life
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Gen X Life said:

did you have any problems or "slow down" using google maps for sites?

Three years ago we had problems with it using iPhones but daughters Samsung was fine???

I cant tell you the differences between the two-- we only use iPhones-- but there was no noticeable slowdown with Google Maps-- functioned fine. The only time it slowed down was when we went through the daily allotted data. I mitigated that by only using WiFi while in the room in the morning and at the hotel for breakfast and usually would make it through the day. My wife tried not to use her phone a ton in case mine did slow down and we needed a backup. 

• Like 1

Do a little research with Verizon, they have the $10 per day, per line and a $100 per line monthly plan for international travel. Depending on how long you will be traveling in Europe the monthly plan may be more cost effective. We used the $10 plan when traveling last summer on the Rhine River and it worked great but we only were only there 9 days so it was a little less expensive to to the $10 plan. However our daughter is currently in Japan for 13 days so the monthly works better for her.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2023 at 10:55 AM, Retiredafter39 said:

Do a little research with Verizon, they have the $10 per day, per line and a $100 per line monthly plan for international travel. Depending on how long you will be traveling in Europe the monthly plan may be more cost effective. We used the $10 plan when traveling last summer on the Rhine River and it worked great but we only were only there 9 days so it was a little less expensive to to the $10 plan. However our daughter is currently in Japan for 13 days so the monthly works better for her.

thank you .. we had it before; Verizon Plan, but that was pre "C" and it was approx 3-4 years ago.. better phones better systems now .. we will look into it - new google maps is the best and I want to utilize it; so I will need unlimited data or I must download destination maps into phone.  I will do area maps but did not want to have to do itinerary touring map downloads per city.

Is Starlink hooked up yet on NCL ships ???  they have the terminals on top deck of Breakaway - but are they connected??  I know that is upgrade data plan on ships but we could use it.

We will be in Europe approx 3 + weeks-- less than a month to go!! : so month plan would work!

Wow .. wish I was in Japan.. hope your daughter is having a wonderful time!

We were in Italy for just over a month last fall. My husband got us cheap e-sims (which are now virtual), but my phone had a difficulty with that, so I switched to the the $100 option for the month with my Verizon plan. The only times I had a poor (no) connection was on a train in a tunnel and on the boat to/from Sicily. The internet was never slow.

We were in: Verona (Valpolicella), Florence (Tuscany), Rome, Sorrento, and Sicily (Ortigia). On the way out I used the $10 a day option on our transatlantic stops (France (Toulon), Spain, Portugal).

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Retiredafter39 said:

I was able to set a start date for service to begin. This started the 30 day cycle.

Just make sure you do not check the auto renew if your trip is less than 30 days.

I'm thinking of trying the monthly plan as I'll be gone over 10 days and it makes sense $ wise. I only have 2 sea days, plus probably 12 or so on land (at least part of the day) so on the ship, obviously WIFI but it would be nice to come home to a smaller phone bill.