Just sharing some surprise and concern in attempting to make YC reservation- no refundable deposit

chisoxfan

17 minutes ago, chisoxfan said:

For the record, we were looking at 6x100 non refundable for a four night cruise and 6x200 for a 7 night cruise.

$800 is the deposit for one cabin. If the deposit wasn't non-refundable it's very possible that the cabin had been booked already when we booked so for me the non-refundable deposit is a good thing.

2 hours ago, chisoxfan said:

For the record, we were looking at 6x100 non refundable for a four night cruise and 6x200 for a 7 night cruise.

Since the chances are that you would cancel and rebook another cruise, I would recommend that you either book a non-YC cabin, or another cruise/resort that allows cancellations.

2 hours ago, chisoxfan said:

I guess the Marriott (Secrets, Dreams) model is flawedand profitable)  but the cruise line model (collective debt of 75 billion CCL,NCL, RC) is golden

#1 Secrets and Dreams are owned by Hyatt. 

#2 Perhaps because it is a different business model indeed.  Each of the suites at such a resort cost, at least, the price of a Yacht Club Suite for a week, so if a few cancel last minute, no big deal, as everyone is paying top dollar rates.    At those resorts there's no such thing as an introductory $299 7 night inside cabin, $499 Oceanview or $899 balcony (for the week, mind you). Thus the value of the 1 Yacht Club cabin to the overall economics of the MSC sailing is far higher than the value of the 1 hotel room at said resort.   

Peace ☮️and Love 💌

30 minutes ago, Morgsmom said:

#1 Secrets and Dreams are owned by Hyatt. 

#2 Perhaps because it is a different business model indeed.  Each of the suites at such a resort cost, at least, the price of a Yacht Club Suite for a week, so if a few cancel last minute, no big deal, as everyone is paying top dollar rates.    At those resorts there's no such thing as an introductory $299 7 night inside cabin, $499 Oceanview or $899 balcony (for the week, mind you). Thus the value of the 1 Yacht Club cabin to the overall economics of the MSC sailing is far higher than the value of the 1 hotel room at said resort.   

Peace ☮️and Love 💌

Yes Hyatt . They recently have purchased Secrets and Dreams and I was making a res at Marriottt overseas when I wrote this so thanks for correcting me. We have stayed at many of their (Hyatt) AI's.

We were at Secrets Impressions Moxche last week which is listed near 1500 per night and had the 3 day cancellation I referred to. I believe this is standard with Secrets and Dreams and is no cancellation penalty prior to 14 days for Specific Hyatt props. So the cancellation remains 'standard' whether your room is 400 a night or 2000. The YC for a 4 night cruise (three deluxe cabins) was approx. 11k with gratuities (quoted by MSC and TA). That would be great to get the 899 balcony for a week ? you refer to. We are only interested in YC and I believe this is where the guaranteed deposit comes into play.

Not all of the Dreams Resorts are listing pricing for June yet but an ocean front at Dreams Playa Mujeres or Hyatt Ziva is approx 650-700 per night. This is all inclusive (taxes, grats, wi-fi-drinks and food). We could fly directly to the resort and enjoy five nights- booking MSC we would fly to MCO drive to Port Canaveral, pay for an overnight room dinner and breakfast. Plus hassle of overnight unpack etc.and have to leave the ship early morning. 

Basically we are talking a similar overall price as the cruise for five nights with the added AI plus of high speed internet, super large rooms with rainfall showers, numerous pools, ocean beach, golf,etc. The cruise schedule is 4 nights and a night in hotel pre cruise vs. 5 nights in resort one unpack and leave the final day by 1pm.

We love cruising and as stated were ready to book YC but the non refundable deposit was a deal breaker. Again not because we are trying to 'hog' the best cabins but with a party of 7 things can happen.

We wanted to introduce our adult children to cruising (which they are totally non interested in) and regardless always felt the AI in general represented a simpler and better value all things considered.

Not sure why I went into all of this but just wanted to share our overall perspective. The flexibility of the trip was always a concern but we were prepared to forgo this until we found that we would be 'locked in' with non refundable deposit even though it may not seem excessive on the surface.

It is all is a matter of preference but these are our thoughts and why we went from 80% cruise vacations to maybe 30% the past few years. With the numbers above I don't think the cruiselines can defend the non refundable deposit simply because they are offering such an incredible value. JMHO

6 hours ago, chisoxfan said:

I know one poster said he never 'missed' a cruise and in another post explained how his last change was easy?

Yeah, that sounded funny after I read it too.  Maybe the refund came because we rebooked the same type cabin...maybe it is because we are in the US...who knows?  

23 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Yeah, that sounded funny after I read it too.  Maybe the refund came because we rebooked the same type cabin...maybe it is because we are in the US...who knows?  

Sorry, did not mean to 'call you out' was just sensitive to the 'accusation' that anyone who wanted a refundable deposit was grabbing all the great cabins at release. I wish I could have gotten some great cabins on cruises we booked 1-2 years in advance.

3 hours ago, chisoxfan said:

.....With the numbers above I don't think the cruiselines can defend the non refundable deposit simply because they are offering such an incredible value. JMHO

In the UK, and most every country outwith the USofA the whole point of a deposit is so that the seller has some recompense in the event of cancellation. In any language, or culture, surely that is a sensible business model. 

15 hours ago, hamrag said:

In the UK, and most every country outwith the USofA the whole point of a deposit is so that the seller has some recompense in the event of cancellation. In any language, or culture, surely that is a sensible business model. 

G:  We do have it here, at least in the housing market with "earnest money,"  which is designed to protect the seller as you are pointing out.  Honestly, I view my YC deposit as earnest money (at a very cheap rate!) that allows me to select a room I want very far out in the future.  I just did it yesterday to make add a booking for 2024 to make it a B2B.  I did it this far out because I wanted the same room for the added week, and it was available.  I'm not sure if I will go through with keeping the reservation, but to me, for under $400 it was worth the peace of mind.

That being said, thanks for the heads up!  I'm going to the Dark Side of Europe for a holiday in June.  I'll have to remember to leave a small deposit with the bartender when I order a pint of Guinness to make sure I don't cancel it before he's finished pouring it.😉

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, JAGR said:

G:  We do have it here, at least in the housing market with "earnest money,"  which is designed to protect the seller as you are pointing out.  Honestly, I view my YC deposit as earnest money (at a very cheap rate!) that allows me to select a room I want very far out in the future.  I just did it yesterday to make add a booking for 2024 to make it a B2B.  I did it this far out because I wanted the same room for the added week, and it was available.  I'm not sure if I will go through with keeping the reservation, but to me, for under $400 it was worth the peace of mind.

That being said, thanks for the heads up!  I'm going to the Dark Side of Europe for a holiday in June.  I'll have to remember to leave a small deposit with the bartender when I order a pint of Guinness to make sure I don't cancel it before he's finished pouring it.😉

Jeez, I am not buying a house. Just a vacation that is supposed to be relaxing and which I will fully guarantee and make payment for 90 days before departure. If the cruise line decides to change itinerary I will still be locked in based on the cruise contract. This happened to us on last years Europe cruise (departure ports and itineraries changed). Monies lost on our booked airfare were not refunded. Is this reasonable? Sorry to be so strident but cruising is already restrictive and IMHO is favorable to the cruise lines (and we have accepted the terms that have been in place for decades). Again, adding this non refundable deposit is just another restriction which for us is not acceptable (maybe the straw that broke the camel's back). Not right or wrong or fair or unfair just something WE are not going to abide by and wanted to voice ours thoughts on and not suggest everyone needs to think like us. There are many travel options for us that offer less restrictive policies that are attractive to us but perhaps not others.  Only our opinion.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, chisoxfan said:

Jeez, I am not buying a house. Just a vacation that is supposed to be relaxing and which I will fully guarantee and make payment for 90 days before departure. If the cruise line decides to change itinerary I will still be locked in based on the cruise contract. This happened to us on last years Europe cruise (departure ports and itineraries changed). Monies lost on our booked airfare were not refunded. Is this reasonable? Sorry to be so strident but cruising is already restrictive and IMHO is favorable to the cruise lines (and we have accepted the terms that have been in place for decades). Again, adding this non refundable deposit is just another restriction which for us is not acceptable (maybe the straw that broke the camel's back). Not right or wrong or fair or unfair just something WE are not going to abide by and wanted to voice ours thoughts on and not suggest everyone needs to think like us. There are many travel options for us that offer less restrictive policies that are attractive to us but perhaps not others.  Only our opinion.  Thanks.

I didn't say you were buying a house.  I was responding to someone else.  Enjoy your vacations.

Edited by JAGR
  • Like 1

On 3/24/2023 at 10:57 AM, chisoxfan said:

Jeez, I am not buying a house. Just a vacation that is supposed to be relaxing and which I will fully guarantee and make payment for 90 days before departure. If the cruise line decides to change itinerary I will still be locked in based on the cruise contract. This happened to us on last years Europe cruise (departure ports and itineraries changed). Monies lost on our booked airfare were not refunded. Is this reasonable? 

You will have a hard time with '"your" guarantee of payment in full 90 days before departure.  They would have already cancelled you because your full payment for yacht club is due at 120 days out. 

Because you did not buy refundable air tickets, how is that the cruise lines fault. You went for a cheaper gamble and lost. 

Are you saying that you were not given the opportunity to cancel when they changed the departure port?