LIVE ALASKA NCL BLISS 04-22-2023 to 04-29-2023 Review

graphicguy

On 4/6/2023 at 1:22 PM, Gibberish1 said:

Does anyone know if the ship's water is RO (reverse osmosis)? I saw a comment that someone took a behind the scenes tour and they have RO. If so, no need to buy the "flow" water offered.

I'm not sure how it's done, but I had a friend who is a doctor go on a behind the scenes tour, and came back saying no more buying water in bottles -- what comes out of the faucet is better.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fandangocruiser said:

I'm not sure how it's done, but I had a friend who is a doctor go on a behind the scenes tour, and came back saying no more buying water in bottles -- what comes out of the faucet is better.

Their water system is impressive.

• Like 2

So, starting to really crank up the planning.  

For some of you, knowing that I’m just starting to look at excursions, entertainment and dinner planning is blasphemous.  But, I’m not a “planner”.  I prefer to book, fly to the port, get on board, wander around a bit, and then decide what I want to do, what I want to see, and what I want to drink/eat.

Anyway, looking at the White Pass Railway excursion in Skagway, it has changed times of departure to 2-ish p.m.  It’s a nearly 3 hour train ride.  Trying to find out when we depart Skagway, but am confounded to find that information.  But, given we dock at 7:00 a.m., that means we would probably have to depart somewhere around 7:00 p.m. in order for the train excursion to have enough time.

Am I thinking right?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

So, starting to really crank up the planning.  

For some of you, knowing that I’m just starting to look at excursions, entertainment and dinner planning is blasphemous.  But, I’m not a “planner”.  I prefer to book, fly to the port, get on board, wander around a bit, and then decide what I want to do, what I want to see, and what I want to drink/eat.

Anyway, looking at the White Pass Railway excursion in Skagway, it has changed times of departure to 2-ish p.m.  It’s a nearly 3 hour train ride.  Trying to find out when we depart Skagway, but am confounded to find that information.  But, given we dock at 7:00 a.m., that means we would probably have to depart somewhere around 7:00 p.m. in order for the train excursion to have enough time.

Am I thinking right?

We arrive Skagway at 7:00 am and depart at 8:15 pm.

1 hour ago, SightCRR said:

Here is the site that I go to for AK ship schedules and pier info. Been very good in the past. 

2023 Schedules | Cruise Line Agencies of Alaska (claalaska.com)

I think you are thinking it correctly as it says 0700-2015. Added info says Glacier Bay, 26th 06-1500 and only one ship. sightcrr. 

Good link.  Thanks!

3 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I do both.  I book some placeholders for dining and shows when they open up.  It is really easy to cancel/reschedule once on the ship.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I do both.  I book some placeholders for dining and shows when they open up.  It is really easy to cancel/reschedule once on the ship.

Depends on if there’s something I really, really want to do in order for me to pre-book.  Being on a cruise, I stay pretty loose and flexible.

2 hours ago, Gibberish1 said:

Do you always book excursions with the cruise line or do you venture off on others offered when you get off the ship?

Depends….if it’s the Caribbean. I have favorites who I use once I disembark.  So I don’t use the ship’s excursions.

But, I’ve been to the Caribbean ports several times and know what to expect, and where to go.

Although, I went to Alaska last year, I’m not as familiar with their offerings.  So, I’ll use NCL’s excursions…..especially given there’s some questions surrounding Skagway after the rock slide.

Edited by graphicguy

Quick question, did you receive a Welcome back to cruising letter from NCL? Just got one for our 50% off Alaska cruise. The letter details the online checking-in process and they also included priority luggage tags, we are in steerage.

21 minutes ago, JIMESOPUS said:

Quick question, did you receive a Welcome back to cruising letter from NCL? Just got one for our 50% off Alaska cruise. The letter details the online checking-in process and they also included priority luggage tags, we are in steerage.

I got one of those.  It's ironic because I've taken four NCL cruises since the restart.

On 4/7/2023 at 9:05 AM, graphicguy said:

Seems a bit early to cancel because of snow.  Forecasts show highs in the upper 30ºs now, and mid 40ºs predicted when we sail.

It has been a very snowy winter in SE.  They have to put snowplows on the engines and clear the tracks before the trains can run.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JIMESOPUS said:

I just got mine (and my luggage tags) today for my cruise in mid may. 

But have a question, I have an upgrade bid (to a balcony room) that I'm still waiting on. The luggage tags I just got is for my solo room, if I do get upgraded (to a balcony room), will NCL automatically send me new luggage tags (with the new room assignment)?

13 minutes ago, Guyc said:

But have a question, I have an upgrade bid (to a balcony room) that I'm still waiting on. The luggage tags I just got is for my solo room, if I do get upgraded (to a balcony room), will NCL automatically send me new luggage tags (with the new room assignment)?

Based upon my experience, no.  Your name, ship and reservation number hasn't changed, so you can print an Avery label with the new room number and location and still use those elusive NCL official tags so that your fellow cruisers will be in awe (unless they're more focused on how much you are tipping the porter 🤣).

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Guyc said:

Luggage tags can be put on your luggage at the pier.  Just tell the porter at the drop off area what your room number is.  Drop him a fiver and he’ll send it on its way.

• Like 2

Spoke with NCL yesterday to clear up any confusion about my Latitudes 15% off Excursions.  With the FAS $50 credit for excursions, adding the 15% off, the excursion cost aren’t the crazy cost they appear to be at first glance.  Still not bargains, but with the con Venice and protection of booking through NCL, not a bad deal.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SightCRR said:

So close to 4000 people doing shore excursions with either NCL, private or booking on the dock and that is just one ship out of several that may be in the towns. sightcrr.

Not certain, but I thought I saw a post stating that the Bliss will be the only ship in port in at least part of the itinerary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

That works, too.  

I don’t check my roll aboard or backpack.  I check in later usually, and take my bags right to the cabin.

I don't know if you are following the semi live from the Bliss today, but their cabins were not ready at 4:30 p.m.  That's very late.