LIVE ALASKA NCL BLISS 04-22-2023 to 04-29-2023 Review

graphicguy

One of the questions cruisers ask concerns booking excursions through the cruise line (any cruise line) vs booking excursions directly with the cruise operator.

Give a specific example, just spoke about the White Summit Pass rail/train excursion.

Looked at booing it direct.  Cost to do so is ~$140.  Same excursion booked through NCL IS $189.

I am also Sapphire Latitudes, which nets me a 15% excursion discount.  That brings it down to ~$160.

But, FAS offers $50 excursion credit.  That brings the cost down to ~$110.  

Even if you have to split the $50 excursion credit with your partner, that’s still $135 excursion cost.

The big advantage, if something goes sideways, (like the train breaks down) NCL has to get you back to the ship.

• Like 7

Since you brought up WP& YR you may have one more advantage to booking NCL. In years past they had the train cars right next to the ship and you didn't have to walk downtown. Without any history to go on this year I am guessing you will have a 100 yard tender or bus ride past rockslide and you will have a train car close to drop off. sightcrr. 

• Thanks 1

So, this is what’s on the agenda, so far.  Got the Meet and Greet on Sunday at 10:30 a.m., also.

Vacation Summary

• Reservation #:

XXXXXXXX
    Embarkation:

Apr 22, 2023 Seattle, Washington
    Disembarkation:

Apr 29, 2023 Seattle, Washington
  • Onboard Spending

$75.00
    Money: 
  •  
    Norwegian Bliss

Club Balcony Suite Stateroom XXXX , Category: OX

Booked Activities

• Item
    Date & Time
    Guests
  • Like 6

I have friends visiting this weekend and we are going to a live performance tonight.  Brunch for 8 in the morning.  I have a new boss starting on Monday.  Breakfast meeting, manicure, pedicure on Thursday.  I fly out with my traveling companions on Friday morning, transportation arranged.  Luckily everything I need to pack is ready (clothes, medication, money, passport, phone and chargers) and sharing a room  with my luggage. Documents printed. I have gotten my travel money broken into the denominations I want.  We are staying near the airport and I have our shuttle scheduled.  Our arrival at the pier time is 9:30, I will be awake at 3am (time difference). This will be both the longest and shortest week.  Okay, now what? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, fmrlkr said:

I have friends visiting this weekend and we are going to a live performance tonight.  Brunch for 8 in the morning.  I have a new boss starting on Monday.  Breakfast meeting, manicure, pedicure on Thursday.  I fly out with my traveling companions on Friday morning, transportation arranged.  Luckily everything I need to pack is ready (clothes, medication, money, passport, phone and chargers) and sharing a room  with my luggage. Documents printed. I have gotten my travel money broken into the denominations I want.  We are staying near the airport and I have our shuttle scheduled.  Our arrival at the pier time is 9:30, I will be awake at 3am (time difference). This will be both the longest and shortest week.  Okay, now what? 

“Pack’em, Rack’em, Stack’em” as we used to say in IT!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

You folks might want to check out the Seattle Space Needle Panorama Cam today.  The Cam gives you a 360 degree view of Seattle and the area surrounding Seattle.  This morning, it shows The Bliss in Her downtown parking spot.  If the sun comes out, you should be able to see Mount Rainer to the South.

Enjoy your time in Seattle and your cruise.

The Big "E" in front of the bow of The Bliss, is on the roof of the Edgewater Hotel built for the 1962 Worlds Fair.  The Space Needle was also built for the Worlds Fair and is still in use today as is The Edgewater.

Edited by www3traveler
Add a comment
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

You folks might want to check out the Seattle Space Needle Panorama Cam today.  The Cam gives you a 360 degree view of Seattle and the area surrounding Seattle.  This morning, it shows The Bliss in Her downtown parking spot.  If the sun comes out, you should be able to see Mount Rainer to the South.

Enjoy your time in Seattle and your cruise.

The Big "E" in front of the bow of The Bliss, is on the roof of the Edgewater Hotel built for the 1962 Worlds Fair.  The Space Needle was also built for the Worlds Fair and is still in use today as is The Edgewater.

Thanks!

https://www.spaceneedle.com/webcam

• Like 2

Thank you so much for the webcam view and the great photo! I just checked in for our Bliss cruise in 3 weeks and the excitement is kicking into high gear. I remember visiting Seattle as a child and seeing the Space Needle under construction (yes, I know, I'm not as young as I look LOL). So looking forward to your live, @graphicguy, as there have been several reviews lately indicating that the experience onboard the Bliss has been less than stellar. Hoping your cruise will be awesome!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NikiPinkston said:

Thank you so much for the webcam view and the great photo! I just checked in for our Bliss cruise in 3 weeks and the excitement is kicking into high gear. I remember visiting Seattle as a child and seeing the Space Needle under construction (yes, I know, I'm not as young as I look LOL). So looking forward to your live, @graphicguy, as there have been several reviews lately indicating that the experience onboard the Bliss has been less than stellar. Hoping your cruise will be awesome!

Thanks!

I'm one who pretty much rolls with the punches.  It takes a lot for me to be upset while on a cruise....maybe like running aground in Italy and having to abandon ship....or maybe being on a cruise where all the toilets back up at the same time......

In all seriousness, if one venue can not meet what I'm looking for, I'll find another.  That goes for restaurants, bars, etc.  There are so many options on a ship, if one option doesn't work out, it's pretty easy to find another.  Or, at least that's my attitude.

Hope you enjoy your cruise, too.

Just looked at Seattle/Alaska weather....looks like it will be in the 50s, so will forgo heavy coat and stick to a menagerie of hoodies and rain slicks when I start packing (which probably won't be for several more days).

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 7

So, this is the pic of the Bliss as she sits.  Right about now, the last passengers from the previous cruise are off the ship.  And, in about 30-60 minutes, they'll begin boarding the new passengers.  Exciting times!

norwegian-bliss.jpeg

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

the new passengers.  

The new passengers already in their rooms and were enjoying mudslides by 9:45AM 😄 - Bliss arrived empty from Vancouver this AM. I was lucky to be up and watched her float by to dock at the pier. 
I know we won’t be on as early, but I am hoping for a mango madness by noon lol. 

Edited by Lush LaRue
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Lush LaRue said:

The new passengers already in their rooms and were enjoying mudslides by 9:45AM 😄 - Bliss arrived empty from Vancouver this AM. I was lucky to be up and watched her float by to dock at the pier. 
I know we won’t be on as early, but I am hoping for a mango madness by noon lol. 

I did not know that.  So, they dropped off passengers in Vancouver and sailed to Seattle to pick up more passengers?

• Like 2

Yep, they sailed empty from Van to Sea. I read from previous trip review (here) that the crew was also doing a deep clean on their way down. Hoping the crew gets a little mental break and recovers a bit from their LA/Mexico trips. Seems pax experienced some hardships during very full capacity previous sailings. Hoping Alaska sailing is a chill vibe. ..I’ll be chilling outside in a parka and hat.. with a frosty beverage so I’ll be perfectly good. 😂

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I did not know that.  So, they dropped off passengers in Vancouver and sailed to Seattle to pick up more passengers?

Yes, passengers had to disembark in Vancouver and the She sailed with crew only to Seattle. Even if passengers were booked for the Alaskan cruise, they would still have to get off in Vancouver and get to Seattle by a different means.  As to do witha very old law that Congress has never changed.  I would imagine they had the end of Season dinner and presented awards.

Edited by www3traveler
Add a comment
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Note to self…don’t forget to pack an umbrella!

Just a quick note….in PNW , we don’t  use umbrellas. 

Water resistant Anorak style jackets with hood work best for rainy days. 
I wear baseball hat under hood to keep rain off face while on excursions.

On cruises to Alaska, umbrellas can be a liability to you and others .

. (Been stabbed many times )

It is hard to use binoculars or camera while holding umbrella.
In towns, sidewalks very narrow , hard to navigate with so many cruise passengers in port.

Have a great cruise !

EA5C6218-A66F-483B-ABDA-9D16353E9CA1.jpeg

F371A2E7-44D1-4357-AD69-7FEAC4800EDF.jpeg

Edited by phissy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I was on the Bliss Pacific Coastal back in 2019 (seems like so long ago now) where we arrived in Vancouver, spent the night on the ship in port and disembarked the next day.  A few of the crew were telling me that the Captain and Senior Officers throw them a few nice crew party and its a great way to recharge overnight on the way to Seattle and get prepared for the Alaska season. And as mentioned above, the rooms are ready to go as soon as the passengers board (usually by 11am). 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, phissy said:

Just a quick note….in PNW , we don’t  use umbrellas. 

Water resistant Anorak style jackets with hood work best for rainy days. 
I wear baseball hat under hood to keep rain off face while on excursions.

On cruises to Alaska, umbrellas can be a liability to you and others .

. (Been stabbed many times )

It is hard to use binoculars or camera while holding umbrella.
In towns, sidewalks very narrow , hard to navigate with so many cruise passengers in port.

Have a great cruise !

EA5C6218-A66F-483B-ABDA-9D16353E9CA1.jpeg

F371A2E7-44D1-4357-AD69-7FEAC4800EDF.jpeg

Last time I sailed to Alaska last year, it was nice weather, mostly.  I think it was Skagway that was the only rainy port.  Had wished for an umbrella, but didn’t have one.  So, taking one of those little collapsible ones…hangs off my belt.

Regarding peopel getting “stabbed” with an umbrella, whoever is wielding the umbrella and poking people with it, I’d probably have to have a “discussion” with them about their behavior.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Weather Skagway looking forward…

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/a775f6f76797f6c3011ef0b87f10eeec2fe2a01c1446b5965531b4035fb18609

Juneau

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/bc6c6d8f7cfb302a9347c9936e52c2118b582c1b2c177cae22673d9f9853f4e0

I know we’re a week out, but looks like 40ºs-50ºs during the day and rainy.  

So, crafting what I’ll pack accordingly.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2023 at 6:11 AM, graphicguy said:

So, starting to really crank up the planning.  

For some of you, knowing that I’m just starting to look at excursions, entertainment and dinner planning is blasphemous.  But, I’m not a “planner”.  I prefer to book, fly to the port, get on board, wander around a bit, and then decide what I want to do, what I want to see, and what I want to drink/eat.

Anyway, looking at the White Pass Railway excursion in Skagway, it has changed times of departure to 2-ish p.m.  It’s a nearly 3 hour train ride.  Trying to find out when we depart Skagway, but am confounded to find that information.  But, given we dock at 7:00 a.m., that means we would probably have to depart somewhere around 7:00 p.m. in order for the train excursion to have enough time.

Am I thinking right?

We are booked for Alaska out of Seattle in July (on the Sun) and will be interested to hear about your experiences.  I’ll be curious to hear how it goes picking excursions on the fly and how availability is!

Good luck with the packing and wishing you an awesome trip!  

• Thanks 1