Easter Sunday Mass on POA

blackfly

My wife and I  sail on the Pride of America April 8th.  Sunday April 9 is Easter Sunday and we are booked on the Road to Hana Tour on Maui.   My wife would very much like to experience Mass that day even if it is on line.  There is a chapel on POA and wondered if NCL would offer a service of some kind on Easter.  The other option is to view a Mass on line.  We have the ships basic WiFi packages but under stand that it is not suited for live streaming.  The other option is to download a Mass and watch it once we return from our excursion but have no idea how to go about that.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, blackfly said:

My wife and I  sail on the Pride of America April 8th.  Sunday April 9 is Easter Sunday and we are booked on the Road to Hana Tour on Maui.   My wife would very much like to experience Mass that day even if it is on line.  There is a chapel on POA and wondered if NCL would offer a service of some kind on Easter.  The other option is to view a Mass on line.  We have the ships basic WiFi packages but under stand that it is not suited for live streaming.  The other option is to download a Mass and watch it once we return from our excursion but have no idea how to go about that.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I think live streaming a mass from the mainland before your excursion leaves would be the best option.  The wifi should not get as bogged down at 5 or 6 am so the streaming may be a bit better during the early hours.  My wife, for the first time in her 40 some years of life will not be attending Easter mass as we are cruising the same dates as you.  I have missed a few in my earlier years.  

Edited by Derek Sutton

3 hours ago, blackfly said:

My wife and I  sail on the Pride of America April 8th.  Sunday April 9 is Easter Sunday and we are booked on the Road to Hana Tour on Maui.   My wife would very much like to experience Mass that day even if it is on line.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Aloha - Do know that St. Anthony Catholic Church in Wailuku (about ten minutes away from Kahului Harbor where the ship docks) will be having a 9:30 a.m. Mass on Easter Sunday.  

Kaahumanu Church in Wailuku has a 9 a.m. Mass that day, and is about the same distance away from the harbor.  It is a rather old church, and they do Mass in Hawaiian and English - though we don't think they are Catholic.  Just two options that may work for you and be a special experience.

• Like 1

I attended a beach side service on Maui. It was very beautiful with the participants

facing the water and the pastor with his back to the ocean. During the service we

saw whales. If the timing works that is an option if you can find a location.

• Like 2

Thanks for the uplifting thread.  I'm not Catholic but am a Christian.  I find it very positive that fellow cruisers don't leave their faith behind when they pack for an outstanding cruise.  😎  I hope the OP and others find what they are looking for.

• Like 2

CheifMateJRK - Thanks for you reply.  We chose the cruise over Easter so our grandsons could join us for a week at Waikiki.  It pains my wife that she might miss Easter Mass but her grandkids are important to her.  I did find a Catholic Church near the cruise Port Kahului on Maui with a 6:00pm Sunday Mass that we can make so I earned some points.  🙏🙏🙏

• Like 3

Aloha.  I use an app called Mass Times which uses location data or zip code input to provide church and times around the world which I use regularly wherever I am. I am a parishioner of St Augustine by the Sea in Waikiki where I have attended Mass for years. Fr. Lane has a beautiful service which streams on Facebook and then can be watched taped thereafter. He is wonderful and at the end of Mass he provides the blessing in Hawaiian.  So if you cannot attend Mass in Person I highly recommend it. If you visit Honolulu and have the time to visit the church in person it is beautiful and has a building next door with a museum dedicated to Fr. Damian who tended to the lepers on Molokai. Blessings!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 3/24/2023 at 7:03 PM, blackfly said:

CheifMateJRK - Thanks for you reply.  We chose the cruise over Easter so our grandsons could join us for a week at Waikiki.  It pains my wife that she might miss Easter Mass but her grandkids are important to her.  I did find a Catholic Church near the cruise Port Kahului on Maui with a 6:00pm Sunday Mass that we can make so I earned some points.  🙏🙏🙏

@blackfly - Wondering if you did attend that 6:00 pm Mass on the Sunday of your cruise. We're thinking of doing the same when we cruise on POA next month, looks like the church is about a 30 minute +/- walk from the terminal. Wondering if it's a walking-friendly area, traffic and safety wise.

mooline:  Ended up going to St Augustine by the Sea on Ohua Street. It’s across the street from Waikiki Beach.  Very easy walk from Hilton Hawaiian Village.  Beautiful church.  The priest was barefoot.  Mass was at 5pm on Saturday.

That sounds so lovely, and so Hawaiian! Thank you for responding, I really appreciated it. Hope you had a great cruise!

We’d probably really enjoy that, but are traveling with first time cruiser kiddos who are VERY  eager to get on the ship. So, we'll be going to church on Sunday in Maui, or maybe just doing it online.

On the Saturday we boarded the ship, they offered a video Mass in the theater at 10 pm.  It was live from the Vatican.  Not sure they offer this every Saturday as this was Easter Sunday for us.  There is a church on Maui not far from the cruise terminal that has a 6pm Mass on Sunday that we considered.  Check the “Freestyle Daily” when you get to your cabin to see if the Mass is offered.