Are there vendors at the pier in Sitka selling tours?

eyern1

You know, like you see at every port in the Caribbean?  I'm asking because what we want to do is sold out already on the dates we will be visiting. Really, we're just looking to do the bears, raptors and totem thing, but I do have a 2hr kayak scheduled. Book early folks. Live and learn, it ain't like the Caribbean lol.

Yes...We just (September) used a vendor after being dropped off into town from the ship shuttle. It was $10.00pp and went to the Raptor center and Fortress of the Bears...small separate entrance charge at each venue. We were considering booking privately but so glad we opted for this instead. It worked out great for our extended family of 4 adults and two kids.

Vendor easy to spot with large signs and a couple of bus's waiting...hopped on and we were on our way.

• Like 1

Our OP has asked this question in March. The Alaska cruise ship season has yet to start.   But since for a number of years vendors have sold excursions at the Harrigan Centennial Center it is a reasonable guess that they will do so this coming summer.

Yeah, you never know in this topsy turvy world now if things will be one the same one year to the next Northern Aurora and if nothing happens before May, I would only expect all things travel to improve.  Thanks for the info and if you look at my other post entered just after this one, you'll see why I'm asking.

18 hours ago, Ashland said:

Yes...We just (September) used a vendor after being dropped off into town from the ship shuttle. It was $10.00pp and went to the Raptor center and Fortress of the Bears...small separate entrance charge at each venue. We were considering booking privately but so glad we opted for this instead. It worked out great for our extended family of 4 adults and two kids.

Vendor easy to spot with large signs and a couple of bus's waiting...hopped on and we were on our way.

Do you remember the vendor? I would prefer to book ahead of time.

1 hour ago, Coral said:

Do you remember the vendor? I would prefer to book ahead of time.

No...sorry I don't...but not even sure they take advanced reservations as everyone we saw was booking this directly as they got off the ship shuttle.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ashland said:

No...sorry I don't...but not even sure they take advanced reservations as everyone we saw was booking this directly as they got off the ship shuttle.

Just trying to figure out what to do...... Book before or wait until the day of. This is one port I have not been to so sort of the unknown for me.

The vendors at the dock are likely the same vendors you tried to pre-book.  The whole idea behind selling tours at the dock is that independent operators who have empty seats try to fill them with last minute customers.  To prebook, you would have to do it with their main office, which from your other post I'm assuming you're trying to avoid.

Sorry Coral.  I got you confused with another poster on this topic and it was too late to edit. 

If it's a really busy day, I'd prebook.  Sitka is relatively new as a large cruise ship port and the number of independent tour operators is still relatively small.  It's one of my favorite ports.  It's real Alaska still.  Enjoy it before Diamonds International shows up!

Are you on Crown Princess?

Edited by wolfie11
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

Sorry Coral.  I got you confused with another poster on this topic and it was too late to edit. 

If it's a really busy day, I'd prebook.  Sitka is relatively new as a large cruise ship port and the number of independent tour operators is still relatively small.  It's one of my favorite ports.  It's real Alaska still.  Enjoy it before Diamonds International shows up!

Are you on Crown Princess?

No worries. Yes - on Crown Princess in May. Really looking forward to it!

I have something held with Princess but I prefer to book with a local company so that the company gets the full $$$ and not have to share the fare with the cruise line. I have been to Alaska a ton and love it but Sitka is new to me. I can't wait - it has been awhile since I have been back to Alaska.

So there are only 2 cruise ships in port when i go to sitka.Is that considered a small number? I guess i don’t want to get to the raptor center and fortress of the bear and find there is a line. It seems this is the advantage of the ship excursion that you don’t need to wait and i did get it on sale. However my excursion just goes to-raptor center and nature walk and i’m debating as it doesn’t go to fortress of the bear.

59 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

So there are only 2 cruise ships in port when i go to sitka.Is that considered a small number? I guess i don’t want to get to the raptor center and fortress of the bear and find there is a line. It seems this is the advantage of the ship excursion that you don’t need to wait and i did get it on sale. However my excursion just goes to-raptor center and nature walk and i’m debating as it doesn’t go to fortress of the bear.

If it doesn't say it in the description it doesn't go there.  Depends on how big the ships are - two large ships can be 6000+, two small ships can be 500.

There are vendors in Skagway (building at the end of the railway dock and I presume at other docks) Ketchikan (at the far dock and in a building on the downtown docks), and Juneau (mostly around the tram).  I have never seen anyone in Haines, but if there were, they would be at the top of the dock near the restrooms and parking.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2023 at 9:12 PM, wolfie11 said:

The vendors at the dock are likely the same vendors you tried to pre-book.  The whole idea behind selling tours at the dock is that independent operators who have empty seats try to fill them with last minute customers.  To prebook, you would have to do it with their main office, which from your other post I'm assuming you're trying to avoid.

I think you meant me and yeah, that's how I figured it actually operated so I'm kind of assuming these tours won't actually be available at the pier since they're already almost sold out now.

Our experience in Alaska and in the Caribbean is that there are other tour operators than the ones that have contracted with the ship, or that they have additional small buses/cars ... I know that ship tours have been sold out online, and we have seen the same excursions available on the pier  - perhaps a completely different operator?  Not sure - definitely there are many different ways to see these spots in Sitka.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm seeing a lot of fully booked tours too.  One that was still open was this snorkeling group called "Selkie Snorkels" www.selkiesnorkels.com.

They had some amazing photos and great reviews and I don't think they are booked yet for those dates.  It does seem cold, but apparently the suits are warm.  Could be of interest!  my family is highly considering it, especially since we might be in Sitka only once!

I was going to book at Sitka for my daughter, who has done the snorkeling in Ketchikan.  She decided to do Ketchikan again next month.
Note the difference in “time in the water” between the snorkeling tours in Ketchikan and Sitka.  Ketchikan guarantees at least an hour in the water. In Sitka, the time in the water is between 40 and 60 minutes. Both tours are 3 hours total. 

In Ketchikan

The Mountain Point Snorkeling Adventure is 3 hours from start to finish (For NCL guests and any ships docking at The Mill in Ward Cove plan on 4 hours).  We guarantee you at least one hour in the water and up to an hour and 20 minutes depending on how quickly everyone gets into their wetsuits. Our shop is conveniently located 4 miles from town which is about a 10 minute bus ride.  Mountain Point is another mile down the road.  The rest of the time is spent changing, conducting safety briefings and enjoying hot showers and cocoa after the tour.  We also have a great selection of souvenir hats, T-shirts and hoodies to choose from.

In Sitka

We will either pick you up 15 minutes before tour time at Centennial Hall downtown or meet you at the snorkel shop at 803 Halibut Point Road. For a pickup, please arrange plans with us by email at selkiesnorkels@gmail.com.

At the snorkel shop we will fit you for wetsuits and give you an overview of the tour. We will then drive to Magic Island. At the dive site, we will walk down into the water over a rocky shore. Our knowledgable guides will swim with you, help point out wildlife, and keep everyone safe.

After around 40-60 minutes in the water, we will return to the snorkel shop, change out of our suits, and drink hot chocolate and warm up.