QM2 Q6 suites

majortom10

20 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Anyone travelled in Q6 on deck 9. Worry that they are too far forward and may suffer movement in rough seas.

Have travelled in one twice, once on a TA, and had no movement problems, but then we didn’t have a Force 12. An advantage is there are no lifeboats in your view, which many would find pleasing. Another advantage is it is a very long way to and from dinner,  so you do a fair amount of exercise without trying. I can’t actually see why they differentiate them from the Q5 cabins.

3 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

They differentiate by a about £700 per couple😀

Well, that would certainly cover out drinks bill. I can’t see any reason not to book one, although, as I say, we did not experience really rough seas, but even there, how can one know whether it’s worse than more central cabins?

Sone years ago, we were upgraded to a QG cabin, the farthest forward QG cabin next to the Commodore Club on the Xmas sailing from New York.  We returned to New York in a Force 12 storm and the martini that I had made myself (the butler had found me a cocktail shaker when we boarded!) and the level of the martini in the cocktail glass never moved.

Returning for a 2nd Transatlantic crossing in July 24 and just booked a Q6 in this location (9008). What appealed to us was saving around £600 and also we are only partially affected by lifeboat view below us on deck 8 (it looks like they start about half way down out cabin). I am relieved to hear these suites are not that affected by movement. Close to the Commodore Club too ;)

41 minutes ago, godfreyb said:

Sone years ago, we were upgraded to a QG cabin, the farthest forward QG cabin next to the Commodore Club on the Xmas sailing from New York.  We returned to New York in a Force 12 storm and the martini that I had made myself (the butler had found me a cocktail shaker when we boarded!) and the level of the martini in the cocktail glass never moved.

We have not been so lucky with far forward cabins when the sea is bumpy.  It was quite calm when we had a Q6, though.  On two other voyages we were several cabins away from the most forward on Deck 10 and Deck 13 when for a day and night we experienced Force 9 or 10. It was like riding a lift at times and on both occasions I was thrown about the cabin when I got up in the middle of the night.

The QM2 is incredibly stable, but there is nothing consistent about the reaction to strong winds and high seas.  I wouldn't hesitate to book a cabin far forward again on any deck because the odds are in our favour that it will be smooth most of the time. But we must be prepared for some unpleasant conditions that could happen.

1 hour ago, BigMac1953 said:

I thought you decided not to go QG again?

I have but always been wife's desire to go in QG on QM2 so was just an idea but cannot justify or think it is worth the extra £1500pp compared to Club Balcony. But to be honest cabins Club, P2 and Q6 are in very poor positions of the ship. Personally would rather do 2 cruises in Balcony than one in QG.

Edited by majortom10

On the QM2, I would have more of a problem paying a QG premium and have the slightly annoying lifeboat view on Deck 9 QG balconies vs the OP’s concern of periodic ship movements on 9. 

I picked a deck 10 PG for upcoming TA for the lower fare and the clearer balcony view vs deck 9 (knowing the higher possibility of ship movements a bit forward on deck 10). @majortom10 is correct, it certainly makes sense to use common sense or economize on Cunard, it ain’t cheap!

At least I’ve haven’t yet experienced seasickness on a Cunard vessel, including TA, but this will be our first time this high-up. We’ll see…

25 minutes ago, NE John said:

On the QM2, I would have more of a problem paying a QG premium and have the slightly annoying lifeboat view on Deck 9 QG balconies vs the OP’s concern of periodic ship movements on 9. 

I picked a deck 10 PG for upcoming TA for the lower fare and the clearer balcony view vs deck 9 (knowing the higher possibility of ship movements a bit forward on deck 10). @majortom10 is correct, it certainly makes sense to use common sense or economize on Cunard, it ain’t cheap!

At least I’ve haven’t yet experienced seasickness on a Cunard vessel, including TA, but this will be our first time this high-up. We’ll see…

We enjoy Deck 12 or 10 also for the direct ocean and don't worry about the movement. We would never booked even think of  a low cost obstructed and just enjoy the ships activities. The ocean view compliments the sailing experience and middle ship limits the movement problem.

We really enjoyed the Princess Grill and the Grill Experiences.

The Concierge was also extremely helpful.

• Thanks 1

There have been many complaints on this forum about the view of the lifeboats from Deck 9. We have travelled in QG twice.  Both were crossings. The lifeboats didn't bother us at all. We have spoken to others and some don't like it and some don't mind it.

We don't spend a huge amount of time on the balcony and are usually resting on a deck chair and looking straight out to sea.  

• Like 1