3 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Cheers to all of our "Viking Sky Survivors" family.....🥂

image.thumb.png.a331a60ea4cc29bc019e33c240b0d5c6.png

cruise-ship-ht-01-jpo-190323_hpMain_16x9_992.jpg

cruise-ship-ht-02-jpo-190323_hpEmbed_3x2_992.jpeg

viking-sky-rescue-operation.jpeg

00001.jpg

2019-03-23T163658Z_1594754783_RC11EDF80880_RTRMADP_3_NORWAY-SHIP 2.jpg

One more to add to the gallery: Arrival in Molde, accompanied by vessels including the Vivax and its intrepid crew who stayed with us throughout that stormy night, assisted the Sky in its potentially hazardous turnaround, and saw us safely home.

(J has carried a small tugboat charm ever since in appreciation of the hope that the presence of those vessels and their crews provided that night)

Viking-Sky-Tugboats-Norway-1024x584.webp

Edited by JDincalif
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, JDincalif said:

One more to add to the gallery:

Picture didn't show up (?)    

This was the final lunch before things got crazy. I found it interesting that on our recent sailing (on the Sky) the piano legs - at least in the lounge - appeared to be inside some sort of metal (or other) rigid encasement that is likely well anchored to the floor. I can only assume this is because of what happened to the piano back then. Not sure I noticed the same thing on the Mars back in May. 

IMG_0997.jpg

Edited by OnTheJourney

Hi chaps, all good wishes to you all too!

Teehee, that first photo was almost the exact spot on which we were standing as we experienced the initial roller coaster ride. I remember we tried to stop some of the other ship displays from toppling over and smashing just before everything went totally **** up.

How very lucky we were to survive that nightmare. I think we're all eager to read that final report Andy!

Hope everyone is keeping well and happy!! 🥳 x

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, DGHOC said:

I remember we tried to stop some of the other ship displays from toppling over and smashing just before everything went totally **** up.

Wow!  Good for you in at least trying to forestall the inevitable crashes! 

17 minutes ago, DGHOC said:

How very lucky we were to survive that nightmare.

For sure. It came far closer to being a disaster than anyone at the time realized. Best wishes from this side of the pond...

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 2

I can't see the image or open it either J. I'm assuming it's of the arrival in Molde. I can honestly say that I'll never forget that welcome from the good people of Molde. They lined the Fjord as we limped in, cheering, singing and waving frantically. Lord it made my heart glad!

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, DGHOC said:

They lined the Fjord as we limped in, cheering, singing and waving frantically. Lord it made my heart glad!

Such a special moment. Very emotional I'd think. What a sense of relief it must have been. 

Wonder if which browser is being used affects whether or not the picture shows up. I'll have to try with Google instead of Safari. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

I'm eagerly awaiting the final report, so hoping it is published soon.

Have to wonder if there is actually going to be one? I assumed they have to publish it as per some sort of maritime investigatory regulations (?)

Edited by OnTheJourney

19 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Huh...all I get is a question mark....

Ah well, good thing the caption explains it all.

Just now, OnTheJourney said:

Such a special moment. Very emotional I'd think. What a sense of relief it must have been. 

Wonder if which browser is being used affects whether or not the picture shows up. I'll have to try with Google instead of Safari. 

FWIW We're using Chrome for Android but we don't even pretend to understand the mysteries of this stuff

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DGHOC said:

Lord it made my heart glad!

We felt a bit that way once back on land in the facility that was used to receive the evacuees. It was really cold in that helicopter. Felt even better once we got to the hotel and got a hot meal. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DGHOC said:

I can't see the image or open it either J. I'm assuming it's of the arrival in Molde. I can honestly say that I'll never forget that welcome from the good people of Molde. They lined the Fjord as we limped in, cheering, singing and waving frantically. Lord it made my heart glad!

We still become misty-eyed as we recall that extraordinary welcome!

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, JDincalif said:

we don't even pretend to understand the mysteries of this stuff

LOL  Agreed. I know just enough modern tech to hopefully not appear too stupid when talking to people (especially sales personnel) who know so much more.  😆  

29 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Have to wonder if there is actually going to be one? I assumed they have to publish it as per some sort of maritime investigatory regulations (?)

Affirmative, the AIBN should publish their findings. Their website doesn't have an update since March 2022.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Their website doesn't have an update since March 2022.

Is that when the first report came out? I'm thinking that was before '22 though. I used to have a link to it or else the entire pdf file saved. Can't find either at the moment. I greatly enjoyed reading that earlier report. 

12 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Is that when the first report came out? I'm thinking that was before '22 though. I used to have a link to it or else the entire pdf file saved. Can't find either at the moment. I greatly enjoyed reading that earlier report. 

Here's the link to the investigation, which is still ongoing.

https://havarikommisjonen.no/Sjofart/Undersokelser/19-262

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Here's the link to the investigation, which is still ongoing.

Thanks Andy...There is a much longer report than the "interim" that this latest update also refers to. The one page that is particularly interesting from the interim report is this one....

Screen Shot 2023-03-23 at 3.36.04 PM.png

Edited by OnTheJourney

Evening everyone, we stayed on board, the discarded life jackets in the theatre, a few arriving into Molde, an emotional moment, apologies, no idea why they are upside down

IMG_0083.JPG

IMG_0089.JPG

Edited by Haworth
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, Haworth said:

in the theatre

..my wife was in there watching a movie that afternoon. I had gone to the spa, hoping to use it since I hadn't gotten there yet. Needless to say, it was closed. I can still hear the attendant say, "we'll reopen as soon as the captain says it's ok". So I figured I might as well make my way down to the theatre. Sort of lurching along since the motion had become quite intense by then, I made my way down there. We heard these sort of booming noises - presumably the anchors being dropped. Then came the "code echo" message. Not long after that, as I seem to remember, came the general alarm.