Excursion advice - Canada and Greenland

Sarnia 432

We have booked our first Fred Olsen cruise for July next year.  I know the excursions won’t be available until much nearer the sailing, but I’m a planner.  Does anyone have any idea what sort of excursions may be offered?  

These are the ports we will be visiting 

ST. JOHN'S, CANADA

HALIFAX, CANADA

CORNER BROOK, CANADA

RED BAY, CANADA

L'ANSE AUX MEADOWS, CANADA

NUUK, GREENLAND

NANORTALIK, GREENLAND

NARSARSUA, GREENLAND

REYKJAVÍK, ICELAND

Thanks

We went with Fred to Greenland.

I can’t remember which Port of Call it was, but we went on an Ice Field Boat Trip and it was fantastic.

Also at one POC everyone was plagued with midges.

We were prepared tho with full head mesh protection.
Nonortalik rings a bell.  

On 3/23/2023 at 1:45 PM, Sarnia 432 said:

We have booked our first Fred Olsen cruise for July next year.  I know the excursions won’t be available until much nearer the sailing, but I’m a planner.  Does anyone have any idea what sort of excursions may be offered?  

ST. JOHN'S, CANADA

HALIFAX, CANADA

CORNER BROOK, CANADA

RED BAY, CANADA

NUUK, GREENLAND

NANORTALIK, GREENLAND

NARSARSUA, GREENLAND

REYKJAVÍK, ICELAND

Thanks

The second to last port on your list is spelt incorrectly - it should be Narsarsuaq and that is where the ice fjord boat trips happen, but they book very quickly, so worth keeping a close eye on your loggin about the time the excursions are due, or they could be full by the time you see the trip.  I also strongly recommend that trip - not cheap but well worthwhile.

Nuuk is fine as a DIY if you are reasonably fit and able bodied, but will need a shuttle into the town.  When we went to Nanortalik on Black Watch, the port (and presumably Fred) had arranged various activities around the town, so was a DIY, though I would not be surprised if there is a charge now.

I suggest you go to the "port's of call" section of these boards for the other ports for the other ones, where you should get a number of options.  The Canadian ports are covered in the Canada/New England section of the North American section.  Some of them are fine on a DIY basis, but if you search for those ports on that section, you will get a fair bit of info coming up for most of them.  All ships tend to run much the same excursions as they are run by land based companies in the ports rather than directly by the cruise lines, but the US based cruise lines charge considerably more for the excursions than the UK based lines do (e.g. Fred and P&O).

Edited by tring

Tring is right about the Ice Field Tour.

We actually stayed up till one in the morning to ensure we got booked on.

I remember at the other Port they organised lots of things to see. Children Dancing ect.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sarnia 432 said:

@tring thank you for your reply and suggestions.  I didn’t think to check other cruise line offerings.  Nice to hear the costs on Fred May be more competitive 

The prices can be way different on different cruise lines - at least a 50% oncost, though even Fred do charge a fair bit for their tours compared to what they can be booked direct with a tour operator, but you will be guaranteed a return to the ship in good time for sailing out.  I get the impression you have probably not done much cruising.  A lot of ports are easy to DIY, Rekjavik and Halifax for instance are in that category, but you may wish to consider doing the Golden Circle tour from Reykjavik (prob best done with the cruiseline imo), as that does give a good insight to Iceland's geological make up (a geysir, impressive waterfall and Thinglvir, which is where the tectonic plates are very slowly parting).  All ports are best research before visiting, so you know where you will be heading and how to get there, whether it be on foot, public transport, taxi, or if a tour would be the best way to go.

The "What's in Port" website https://www.whatsinport.com is the best starter for your research imo as you will find lots of info under each port.  After that, use the ports of call section of these boards, initially to search for the relevant port, so you may pick up information you want, then ask any questions you still have by posting there.  I also tend to look on Google Earth, including street view so I have a good idea of what the port is like.

St John's is a really nice town, which you should enjoy independently and should be fairly easy to get up Signal Hill, but I am not sure how as my brother and SIL live there and drove us up.  It is not far, so I expect a taxi can probably be picked up, to save the cost of taking a ship's tour, which tend to cost about £50-60pp for a half day (can be double that in some countries like Norway and some of your ports may be fairly pricey, though not likely to be that much more for your ports, tough all prices are going up worldwide at present).  There is not a lot in Corner Brook, but may well occupy you for a day.  We were there as it was waking up from winter and were not too impressed, but worth looking into.  We walked along a stream walk, but a bit bedraggled at the time of year we visited, recovering from teh snow cover.  I have not been to the other two ports, but I remember lots of complaints about the blackflies in Red Bay (midges as mentioned by 1160451 as being a potential problem in Greenland), you do need to be prepared with at least head protection and insect repellent in case you have problems, but depends on the time of year and immediate location you are in.

Happy searching,

Barbara

Edited by tring
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

NARSARSUA, GREENLAND

There are three very similarly spelt places within a few miles of each other and on the same Fjord system. Narsaq is the furthest South and 10-15 years ago was a popular stopping off place for smaller ships which allowed cruisers to enjoy excursion on a fleet of local boats to visit the spectacular ice-bergs which had, at that time, become stranded in the fjord.

Narsarsuaaraq is about 8 km to the North-west and is only visited by expedition ships.

Narsarsuaq is about 45 km to the North-east in what was once known as  Eirik's Fjord or Tunugdliarfik but is now known as Tunulliarfik Fjord... and that's where FOCLs' current itinerary suggests that the Bolette will visit on 9 August 2024. Narsarsuaq's main claim to fame is that, for all practical purposes, it's currently the only international airport in Southern Greenland. It's simply a hub from which passengers transfer to helicopter hubs. However it's in a bit of a decline and is due to close soon. 

We've visited Narsarsuaq three or four times over the years... including once with FOCLs when it really was "Fred"... and last July with a different cruise line.

Try to be on deck for the sail in through the ice flows... it's great.

_DSC1256.thumb.jpeg.b7d51f0eb710b4d6cd998ca0c34de0d4.jpeg

FOCLs will most probably tender from the centre of Tunulliarfik Fjord to the Narsarsuaq main dock. From there, it's usual for cruise ships to provide a shuttle bus for the couple of mile journey to the far end of the runway. Last season there was a small museum open, some buildings remaining from the USAF base that was there in the 1940s and not much else... was a café. 

_DSC1278.thumb.jpeg.f487787c7b482c90dadc2a3374169095.jpeg

We have taken a helicopter jaunt from the airport over the ice, up a glacier and onto the Greenland Ice cap. Friends who did the same excursion last year while we were independently looking for eagles... saw beautiful humpback whales in the Fjord below the helicopter.

In the past there has been a reasonably moderate trip of about four miles to "Flower Valley." And, believe it or believe it not, to the ..... Arboretum!

From "Flower Valley" there's a hike for the fit and active 300m up the mountainside to a great view and then a half-hour's hike onto the Narsarsuaq/Kaigtuul Glacier... not for the faint hearted... we had to virtually abseil down a moraine on ropes... exhilaration to say the very least.

When we were in Narsarsuaq a few months ago, one of the excursions was a small speed boat trip of about 8 miles to the front of the Qôroq Glacier. Negotiating through the ice at speed was sensational but cold... we were glad we had wrapped up warm (thermals and windproof jackets, trousers, gloves and hats!)

DSC_6107.thumb.jpeg.534e01ffae81795d93c5bac40c2a4470.jpeg

DSC_6234.thumb.jpeg.2a86e675824df2c1c21c7a2e2f43080e.jpeg

On our ownsome we explored the slopes around the Narsarsuaq main dock... and found all manner of beautiful Arctic/Alpine flowers... some song birds, hooded crown and a White Tailed Eagle... around Narsarsuaq the only place in Greenland that they're found.

DSC_6421.thumb.jpeg.4640e61ea3cc758197dfdc96285153bf.jpeg

DSC_6335.thumb.jpeg.b0dfaf39db2ff3647e73e1be55f075be.jpeg

DSC_6331.thumb.jpeg.b00ae06551ff332a3019b3b003e29acb.jpeg

However, more sensationally, the top of Eirik's Fjord is where Erik the Red and his cousin Thorkell reached in the summer of AD 986 with the 14 of the 25 remaining ships carrying about 750 settlers that had survived the crossing from Iceland. The Bolette should anchor just off the site of Erik's manor of Brattahid which remained the most powerful chiefly estate in Greenland for over 400 years. (It was from this spot that Left (Erik's son) sailed when he discovered the North American continent over a Millennium ago.) If FOCLs don't put on a transfer it might be possible to arrange a trip across from Narsarsuaq main dock in advance.

As you can probably see... we think that Narsarsuaq is an exciting place to visit and have done so several times from the 1990s... It's best to be "in the know" about what's there... that's how we can really appreciate it.

Hope that we've whet you appetite! Have a great cruise.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, twotravellersLondon said:

There are three very similarly spelt places within a few miles of each other and on the same Fjord system. Narsaq is the furthest South and 10-15 years ago was a popular stopping off place for smaller ships which allowed cruisers to enjoy excursion on a fleet of local boats to visit the spectacular ice-bergs which had, at that time, become stranded in the fjord.

Narsarsuaaraq is about 8 km to the North-west and is only visited by expedition ships.

Narsarsuaq is about 45 km to the North-east in what was once known as  Eirik's Fjord or Tunugdliarfik but is now known as Tunulliarfik Fjord... and that's where FOCLs' current itinerary suggests that the Bolette will visit on 9 August 2024. Narsarsuaq's main claim to fame is that, for all practical purposes, it's currently the only international airport in Southern Greenland. It's simply a hub from which passengers transfer to helicopter hubs. However it's in a bit of a decline and is due to close soon. 

We've visited Narsarsuaq three or four times over the years... including once with FOCLs when it really was "Fred"... and last July with a different cruise line.

Try to be on deck for the sail in through the ice flows... it's great.

_DSC1256.thumb.jpeg.b7d51f0eb710b4d6cd998ca0c34de0d4.jpeg

FOCLs will most probably tender from the centre of Tunulliarfik Fjord to the Narsarsuaq main dock. From there, it's usual for cruise ships to provide a shuttle bus for the couple of mile journey to the far end of the runway. Last season there was a small museum open, some buildings remaining from the USAF base that was there in the 1940s and not much else... was a café. 

_DSC1278.thumb.jpeg.f487787c7b482c90dadc2a3374169095.jpeg

We have taken a helicopter jaunt from the airport over the ice, up a glacier and onto the Greenland Ice cap. Friends who did the same excursion last year while we were independently looking for eagles... saw beautiful humpback whales in the Fjord below the helicopter.

In the past there has been a reasonably moderate trip of about four miles to "Flower Valley." And, believe it or believe it not, to the ..... Arboretum!

From "Flower Valley" there's a hike for the fit and active 300m up the mountainside to a great view and then a half-hour's hike onto the Narsarsuaq/Kaigtuul Glacier... not for the faint hearted... we had to virtually abseil down a moraine on ropes... exhilaration to say the very least.

When we were in Narsarsuaq a few months ago, one of the excursions was a small speed boat trip of about 8 miles to the front of the Qôroq Glacier. Negotiating through the ice at speed was sensational but cold... we were glad we had wrapped up warm (thermals and windproof jackets, trousers, gloves and hats!)

DSC_6107.thumb.jpeg.534e01ffae81795d93c5bac40c2a4470.jpeg

DSC_6234.thumb.jpeg.2a86e675824df2c1c21c7a2e2f43080e.jpeg

On our ownsome we explored the slopes around the Narsarsuaq main dock... and found all manner of beautiful Arctic/Alpine flowers... some song birds, hooded crown and a White Tailed Eagle... around Narsarsuaq the only place in Greenland that they're found.

DSC_6421.thumb.jpeg.4640e61ea3cc758197dfdc96285153bf.jpeg

DSC_6335.thumb.jpeg.b0dfaf39db2ff3647e73e1be55f075be.jpeg

DSC_6331.thumb.jpeg.b00ae06551ff332a3019b3b003e29acb.jpeg

However, more sensationally, the top of Eirik's Fjord is where Erik the Red and his cousin Thorkell reached in the summer of AD 986 with the 14 of the 25 remaining ships carrying about 750 settlers that had survived the crossing from Iceland. The Bolette should anchor just off the site of Erik's manor of Brattahid which remained the most powerful chiefly estate in Greenland for over 400 years. (It was from this spot that Left (Erik's son) sailed when he discovered the North American continent over a Millennium ago.) If FOCLs don't put on a transfer it might be possible to arrange a trip across from Narsarsuaq main dock in advance.

As you can probably see... we think that Narsarsuaq is an exciting place to visit and have done so several times from the 1990s... It's best to be "in the know" about what's there... that's how we can really appreciate it.

Hope that we've whet you appetite! Have a great cruise.

An interesting post with some lovely pics, thank you.

Quote  "Narsaq is the furthest South and 10-15 years ago was a popular stopping off place for smaller ships which allowed cruisers to enjoy excursion on a fleet of local boats to visit the spectacular ice-bergs which had, at that time, become stranded in the fjord." That sounds identical to what is done from Narsarsuauq now (we first visited in 2014 on Boudicca, when we did the Ice Fjord trip, and have returned since covid) - the local boats go to the outlet of the Qoroq Ice Fjord on the trip, which the ship passes going into and out of the main Fjord to Narsarsuaq, but the boats weave between the big grounded icebergs, giving a great view of them really close up.  We were lucky that it was bright sunlight when we went so the blue coloured ones really impressed.  All the local boats are taken up by cruise lines during stops (we had contacted the company who run the boats before we went in 2014, but were told all their boats were hired out for Fred's trips that day), hence we could only do the trip through Fred.  We were lucky seeing the trips posted online as they were being posted (one by one) and were able to book an early departure, which left us time to walk up Signal Hill independently to the viewpoint later that day, but that was as far as we went - quite a feat performed by yourselves to descend to the glacier and return - well done.  

We were docked in Narsarsuaq on Boudicca, but yes, probably a tender on Bolette.  Fred uses his tenders to get to Erik The Reds Settlement on the other side of the Fjord (ruins and some reconstructions for tourists), but it is a paid for excursion with a guide, only Narsarsuaq itself is accessed by everyone as the port stop.  We visited the museum on both our visits and it had been expanded and improved considerably by our second visit.  We had an interesting conversation with the Danish curator who had developed it so well.

Edited by tring
  • Like 2

ST. JOHN'S, CANADA

HALIFAX, CANADA

CORNER BROOK, CANADA

RED BAY, CANADA

NUUK, GREENLAND

NANORTALIK, GREENLAND

NARSARSUA, GREENLAND

REYKJAVÍK, ICELAND

Thanks

We looked at the full itinerary for this cruise and are very impressed.  There will even be scenic cruising near the entrance/outlet of the NW passage and Hudson straight - I know the area there is largely rocky since I tracked a ship's webcam when going through the NW passage a few years back, but there will be lots of birds on the cliffs at that time.  Anyway, as we have a big milestone event next year, we decided to book yesterday afternoon as a celebration of that.

I have started a roll call, so if you are interested, you can join me to share information on the ports.  not many people tend to contribute to roll calls on the Fred section of these boards, but with this being a longer, more unusual itinerary a few others may join in time.

Barbara

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

For Reykjavik check out Iceland Guided Tours.  They are excellent,  pick you up at the ship in buses that take 8 or 10 people. Their Golden Circle tour takes you to many places and you will see geysers and lots of amazing sights. They are very reliable and get you back in plenty of time.

• Like 2