Missing a connection using Viking Air

OneSixtyToOne

There is an emergency 24 hour number for Viking listed in your paperwork.  But what I would do is research before you go  what the alternative flights are in case you miss the connection.  If there is another option that leaves soon (like within a few hours) after yours, try to get on that one, and then call Viking to let them know of the change.  If there is not another option soon, then you could try calling Viking to let them handle it. 

If either of you cannot walk quickly, you can arrange with the airline in advance for mobility assist.  At the airport you are whisked around in a golf cart and are taken through a special quick line for passport control.  This is what we did last September as my husband cannot walk quickly.

Edited by dd57

14 minutes ago, CHuntMD said:

Are you having to go through customs? You never know how long but the last time I was there in 2016 to/from IAD it was not bad.

CEH in MD

We will go through passport control (bags will be checked to final destination). In January we went through Munich and passport control was less than 5 minutes. I’ve heard horror stories about Frankfort.

Sorry to report that Frankfurt is our "never again" connection point. Two hours may work, as our successful but by the skin of our teeth experience was at 90 minutes. The failed before we began experience was a 55 minute connection which we accepted as newbies before we knew better. Oddly enough, on the day after the missed connection when we returned to the airport to try again, it was deserted!

Live and learn, and what I have learned is that too much time is better than not enough, always have a back-up plan, and never arrive on the day of departure. We often have arrived on embarkation day, but only if there is an overnight in port that day. Good luck!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On our recent cruise, we missed our connection at Heathrow. Our airline had an agent at the arrival gate who gave us new boarding passes for a later flight, eight hours later. I called the Viking emergency number and asked if they could try to get us an earlier flight. They said that once we were in transit, it was up to the airline to arrange an alternative flight, and there was nothing they could do. They did send an email to their transfer department to make sure there was someone there to take care of us when we arrived, but that was it. We were most disappointed, essentially they didn’t do anything to help us with our emergency.

YMMV

• Like 3

My experience,avoid Frankfurt on a Sunday evening.

At Munich this Summer I saw long delays for people waiting for transfer assistance by wheelchair etc.Many more travellers seem to be using this service now.

I was shocked to hear people being told by desk staff that it would be quicker to walk as many had obvious mobility issues but had managed to hobble up to the desk.

My question is will a 2.5 hour layover be long enough time in Frankfurt airport to make a connection? We don’t have any mobility issues and we make our connection in Frankfurt on a Saturday in May of this year.

15 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

What happens if you miss a connection when using Viking Air? Who should you notify?
We only have a 2 hour window in Frankfort and we’re not confident we will make the connection.

Transfers everywhere are potentially crazy these days.  Hope things will start settling down as we move farther away from the COVID shutdown.

We went through Frankfurt (outbound and return) in June 2022 and it was a nightmare--missed both of our connecting flights.  (We booked independently so cannot answer your question on what help Viking Air would provide.)  We did it again in December and it was a breeze.  So, your mileage may definitely vary.

What may be a bigger factor is the timeliness record of your inbound flight to Frankfurt.  You can sign up for a free account on FlightAware and see the records on reliability (average delay) on your flights.  You can also sign up for notifications that will keep you advised on the day of your flight (when the pilot files a flight plan, any delays or gate changes, etc.)  If your flight has a bad track record of delays, you might want to ask Viking Air to put you on a later connecting flight.  (Of course, the connecting flight could also be consistently delayed.)

Finally, if you do find yourself with a considerable connecting time in Frankfurt, you can consider going to sign up for the German EasyPASS Registered Traveler Program.  This will allow U.S. (and other non-EU citizens with an e-Passport) to use the EU e-Gates in Frankfurt (and other German airports) rather than the non-EU lanes.  You'll need to exit the secure area of the terminal and make your way to the German Customs Service at Terminal 1, Hall B, Level 3, at the entrance to the Skyline.  The service office opening hours:  Monday to Sunday 0630 - 2130 hours.  We did this in December when we had a long layover and the time from our arrival gate, getting to the office, and back to the departure lounge was about 45 minutes.  If it saves us time on future trips though FRA (we have one in October), it will have been time well spent!

• Like 1

We had a 90-minute connection in FRA last year.  It was nerve wrecking, especially since our UA plane had to park at an apron and we had to take buses to the terminal.  We made the connecting flight, but would recommend a longer layover at FRA.

14 hours ago, CannyScotTor said:

On our recent cruise, we missed our connection at Heathrow. Our airline had an agent at the arrival gate who gave us new boarding passes for a later flight, eight hours later. I called the Viking emergency number and asked if they could try to get us an earlier flight. They said that once we were in transit, it was up to the airline to arrange an alternative flight, and there was nothing they could do. They did send an email to their transfer department to make sure there was someone there to take care of us when we arrived, but that was it. We were most disappointed, essentially they didn’t do anything to help us with our emergency.

YMMV

Wow!  An agent waiting at the gate with boarding passes sounds great!  Saved a lot of legwork for you.  Not sure I see your situation as an emergency … unless you were in danger of missing your cruise.  Eight hours in Heathrow is a pretty minor inconvenience in today’s travel industry … far from an “emergency “.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, molymoo said:

Wow!  An agent waiting at the gate with boarding passes sounds great!  Saved a lot of legwork for you.  Not sure I see your situation as an emergency … unless you were in danger of missing your cruise.  Eight hours in Heathrow is a pretty minor inconvenience in today’s travel industry … far from an “emergency “.

@molymoo, fair enough, I should have put emergency in quotes, but to be fair, Viking does refer to their in-transit help line as an “emergency “ phone number.

Be that as it may, the point is that their help desk wasn’t very helpful. I know that there were earlier flights available on Viking partner airlines, but they weren’t prepared to switch flights for us.

BTW the agent that gave us new boarding passes represented the airline (nothing to do with Viking’s air department). The reason we missed our connection was due to our flight leaving almost two hours late due to a mechanical problem, so the airline was at fault.

• Thanks 1

If you have any mobility issues use the mobility transport services.

In 2006 we went to Germany for my husband's back-surgery.  Mobility services got us through the airport in record quick time..The wheelchair attendant knew how to get us pass the waiting crowds.

Also I would request mobility services in Amsterdam when departing Bergen with an Amsterdam connection.  It is a very long walk from arrivals from Bergen to the international departure gates.  Also you must go through passport control.

14 hours ago, Conestoga Charlie said:

Have to make a connection in Copenhagen. Anyone with experience on delays there?

Copenhagen is a great airport with easy connections. The danger here are all the great shops!….and forgetting you have a plane to catch!

1 hour ago, janetcbl said:

Copenhagen is a great airport with easy connections. The danger here are all the great shops!….and forgetting you have a plane to catch!

Seconded.

Plus, CPH has these massage chairs in different parts of the terminal.   SO nice! 

image.thumb.png.70a3371824451bcc40d642a8b7ddb87a.png

Also at CPH,   Summerbird, a delicious organic chocolate store...

image.thumb.png.e12988a6e4b3f0712e423a04628eee5b.png

image.thumb.png.1814d74d26dfaa662a6ce25e52d5dd3f.png

and a truly good non-alcoholic Pilsner in the SAS lounge.

image.thumb.png.5ed226c4e4ea82204856d284ce5586f3.png

I did have slight flight delay departing CPH which made for a stressed sprint through a transfer in Chicago.  When I arrived out of breath and sweating at my gate,  the ramp door was shut and I was devastated. 

The kind SAS gate agent re-opened the door (which I thought they weren't supposed to do) and let me pass.

Edited by SempreMare
  • Like 3