I know this has been addressed but another tipping question

flare3192

This is basically our first cruise. We know about the included tips and leaving something extra for a person you feel deserves it. My question is for the tours -- if you take an included tour do you tip and, if so, how much. If you take a tour that you pay additional for do you tip and how much? If anyone is taking separate tours such as through tours by locals or viator do you tip and how much. We are doing a combination of all of these tours and I am trying to figure a budget for them. Also do you only tip in euros or is US dollars acceptable. We will be in Turkey, Greece, Croatia, Montenegro and Italy. Thank you for your input.

6 minutes ago, flare3192 said:

This is basically our first cruise. We know about the included tips and leaving something extra for a person you feel deserves it. My question is for the tours -- if you take an included tour do you tip and, if so, how much. If you take a tour that you pay additional for do you tip and how much? If anyone is taking separate tours such as through tours by locals or viator do you tip and how much. We are doing a combination of all of these tours and I am trying to figure a budget for them. Also do you only tip in euros or is US dollars acceptable. We will be in Turkey, Greece, Croatia, Montenegro and Italy. Thank you for your input.

In Viking pre cruise literature they used to suggest the equivalent of $2-2.50 pp for the guide and $1.00 for the bus driver.  I did not see that for my last cruise.  The amount suggested was for bus loads of 30 people or so whether included or optional excursions.  For tours by locals or private tours in South America we tipped 10%.  

When in Europe please tip in Euros. Even in Turkey our local guides accepted Euros. Don't know aobut Croatia or Motenegro.  I usually  get Eruos from omy bak or at ATM once in Europe . Right the now the exchange rate is great for USD. 

Enjoy your cruise. 

It is not necessary to tip at all in most countries, in some countries tipping is unheard of or offensive. If you do decide to tip, do so in local currency. 

Look up local guidelines in a non Viking or US source

1 hour ago, flare3192 said:

Regardless of whether it is an included/optional shore-ex or a private tour, I have no preconceived ideas regarding on whether we will provide a tip, and if so, how much.

Firstly, we research local customs, as in a number of countries, tipping is not required and is even considered offensive in some. If tips are accepted, we rate the performance of the guide and if they have provided us with great service, we provide a tip, with the amount commensurate with the value we received.

If the guide just does their job, they receive nothing.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Azulann said:

When in Europe please tip in Euros. Even in Turkey our local guides accepted Euros. Don't know aobut Croatia or Motenegro.  I usually  get Eruos from omy bak or at ATM once in Europe . Right the now the exchange rate is great for USD. 

Enjoy your cruise. 

FYI Croatia switched to the Euro as of Jan 1 of this year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1