Princess Excursions on Kangaroo Island - advice please

I have my first Princess cruise booked for October this year. The Big Box on-line TA I booked with is calling for final payment so I thought I should look into the excursions I can do with the cruise line on Kangaroo Island - that being the whole point of this 5 day cruise for me.

I wondered what the hive mind out there could contribute to my deciding between a one hour small boat trip looking at the sea-life and birds (my favourite sort of excursion) and the full day driving tours which take you to about three spots but seem to involve a lot of driving and sitting on the bus.

Does the tender dock close enough to anything to be able just do a wander by yourself from the landing point? or would there be a shuttle to a township?

My limitations are that my knees won't let me do a long walk ( no more than half an hour of hiking etc) or lots of stairs (i.e. more than 50 I guess).

Any information or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

It's an easy walk from the tender dock to the Penneshaw township and there is usually a market there. 

Kangaroo Island is huge so it does take a long time to get between the main attractions. We spent a whole day driving down from Kingscote to Seal Bay and on to the Flinders Chase National Park, and back. It was definitely worth it. 

Seal Bay has a relatively easy walk down to near the beach with plenty of seats along the way. Admiral's Arch has more stairs but, again, plenty of seats to rest along the way. 

We were there in January and hired a car.  It is a big island and driving distances takes longer than you think it should.  We went to American Bay, Kingscote, Emu Bay and Seal Bay.  That took us over our 200km limit and took from 10 to 5.30, stopping for lunch by the beach in Kingscote and exploring the first landing area, going to the lavender farm, spending a little time in the water at Emu Bay and spending about an hour at Seal Bay.  
It was much cheaper for the four of us than paying for the Princess excursions.

If you are interested in lighthouses, it is a lovely short thirty minute scenic drive from Penneshaw to Cape Willoughby Lighthouse conservation park, which was first lighthouse built in SA in 1852.  En route you can visit Antechamber bay with its beautiful long beach, Dudley Wines and a cafe with spectacular views.  

tourkangarooisland.com.au

1 hour ago, 2022cruisey said:

We were there in January and hired a car.  It is a big island and driving distances takes longer than you think it should.  We went to American Bay, Kingscote, Emu Bay and Seal Bay.  That took us over our 200km limit and took from 10 to 5.30, stopping for lunch by the beach in Kingscote and exploring the first landing area, going to the lavender farm, spending a little time in the water at Emu Bay and spending about an hour at Seal Bay.  
It was much cheaper for the four of us than paying for the Princess excursions.

The problem with driving on Kangaroo Island is that the island namesakes have no road sense!

• Like 1

Thanks very much @OzKiwiJJ @2022cruisey and @MMDown Under for your thoughts. Much appreciated. I think I can manage to fit in two of the Princess excursions in one day and that way do the short boat tour as well as seeing some of the sights on land such as the lighthouse and so on. 

Looks like it would be a wonderful place to spend a few days with a car - it's not worth me hiring a car for the day as I'm travelling by myself this time. Fingers crossed for good weather.

2 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Thanks very much @OzKiwiJJ @2022cruisey and @MMDown Under for your thoughts. Much appreciated. I think I can manage to fit in two of the Princess excursions in one day and that way do the short boat tour as well as seeing some of the sights on land such as the lighthouse and so on. 

Looks like it would be a wonderful place to spend a few days with a car - it's not worth me hiring a car for the day as I'm travelling by myself this time. Fingers crossed for good weather.

Yes it is a wonderful place to have a holiday, with a car.  We used to spend a few days at Penneshaw to tour the East Coast, then a few days at the heritage lighthouse keepers cottages at Cape du Couedic Flinders Chase, prior to the bushfires.  Once I went on my own with transfers to the Postman's Cottage, which was wonderful for walks and wildlife (koalas, geese, birds) parks.sa.gov.au

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

There are a couple of full day tours, but I dont think I want the whole day on a bus going around.  The other half day and shorter ones include

Reeves Point

American River

Wines

Cape Willoughby

My husband did the full day excursion that goes to Admirals Arch, Remarkable Rocks and Seal Bay in January. It is expensive and is a long day due to the travel distances involved, but he did really enjoy it. I have previously done the same excursion through P&O UK and also enjoyed it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

In my opinion, Seal Bay, Admirals Arch and Remarkable Rocks are the highlights of Kangaroo Island.

I agree, If you haven't been there before that would be my first pick.

However if you have already done that I recommend the Tempting Tasting Trail which takes you to the Eucalyptus Distillery with an added bonus of cider tasting, lunch at the Lavender Farm, and a visit to the Honey Factory, wine tasting, as well as quick visits to a few scenic spots along the way.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

3 hours ago, Jaaaney said:

There are a couple of full day tours, but I dont think I want the whole day on a bus going around.  The other half day and shorter ones include

Reeves Point

American River

Wines

Cape Willoughby

If you want a short tour Cape Willoughby is my favourite drive with beautiful scenery and a taste of lighthouse life.  
However if you are up for a long drive across the island I agree with the other recommendations.