Bring iPads or Kindles?

Bestfaceforward

Is there a way to download books on to the iPad for my 8yo to read (or read alouds for my 5yo?) that don’t need the internet? My kids are gonna whine by the pool if we aren’t constantly entertaining them haha. Is it even a good idea to bring the iPads with us to common areas like the pools etc.? Are there lockers on cruise ships?  Maybe we will just bring some old fashioned paperbacks but I’m curious if anyone has figured this out.  Thanks!

The 8yo can probably show you how to download books 😁

Your local public library probably can allow you to download books. The iPad can download a Kindle app and download books from Amazon. 

You can download shows, movies and games onto the ipad. (may I recommend headphones)

Many people pooh pooh when children have electronics in public or at dinner. They forget that when we were younger, we had coloring books or blocks to keep us busy.

• Like 1

Yes, you can load up with books on both, and as long as you have them in your device, not in the Library/cloud, you don’t need Wi-Fi to access them.  A paperwhite.  Or similar is best for reading by the pool in sunshine.  Harder to read on a kindle fire or iPad.  If you are reading books that have pictures and involves colors, you would want the tablet.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom

• 4 weeks later...

There aren’t lockers, we just take a back pack and put electronics in them and leave them on a chair with the towels if we are all in the pool.

Yes you can download books. You can also download certain games that don’t need the internet to work: don’t discount the use of electronics on a cruise, especially in the dining room - the meals can be long (especially if you do the full 3 or 4 courses, and have coffee etc after) and it’s a long time for children to be sat. We take all the electronics and it allows our son time to chill out and relax while we enjoy our meal after a busy day.

So we didn’t bring our iPads because I didn’t think there would be enough that would work while not connected to the internet. Do already downloaded games work? 
Anyways, on our cruise this past January I just told my kids they don’t work on the ship, but I would really have liked them for the super long wait for food at the dining room. There’s only so long kids can sit still. 

On 4/21/2023 at 8:06 AM, kelkel2 said:

So we didn’t bring our iPads because I didn’t think there would be enough that would work while not connected to the internet. Do already downloaded games work? 
Anyways, on our cruise this past January I just told my kids they don’t work on the ship, but I would really have liked them for the super long wait for food at the dining room. There’s only so long kids can sit still. 

It depends on the game, but many work fine offline.  Some also work well enough but some features aren't available.  Try turning off the wifi on your ipads and playing your kids favorite games.  That will tell you which work and whether they would be worth it to bring for dinner waits.  

When my kids were 4, I brought small "gifts" to give them at dinner to help with the wait.  My husband wanted to go to the buffet all the time so it didn't end up mattering that much to use, but it did help the one time his whole family wanted to eat together in the main dining room.  They unwrapped a toy that was interesting because it was new and played with that while we waited.