DCL for adults without kids

Yesimapirate

What are your thoughts on DCL for a couple in their late 40s with no kids. One loves Disney and Disney history.  The other is somewhere between tolerating it and liking it.   Based in the Orlando area within sight of nightly Magic Kingdom fireworks,  Disney plays a big role in our lives.

We normally sail NCL Heaven but have become disappointed with the level of service on out last 2 trips.  We currently have 3 Oceania cruises booked.

Tyia 

Edited by Yesimapirate

54 minutes ago, Yesimapirate said:

What are your thoughts on DCL for a couple in their late 40s with no kids. One loves Disney and Disney history.  The other is somewhere between tolerating it and liking it.   Based in the Orlando area within sight of nightly Magic Kingdom fireworks,  Disney plays a big role in our lives.

We normally sail NCL Heaven but have become disappointed with the level of service on out last 2 trips.  We currently have 3 Oceania cruises booked.

Tyia 

Our first ever cruise was DCL.  That one and all others were "without kids" since we waited until our oldest was 18 (so could stay home and watch the others) before starting cruising.

My BF and I, who are in our mid-40's, did three Disney cruises last year by ourselves, and those were honestly some of my favorites to date. My BF has been on over 80 cruises with several different cruise lines, however, I've only done Disney and Royal so I don't have much to compare it with. They do the adult only areas extremely well, and if Disney is a big part of your lives like it is mine, then I highly recommend it. We're actually getting ready to go on another one in August, but this time I'm bringing my 14 year old daughter with us. 😂

A very interesting post.  Apparently we are neighbors as we listen to the MK fireworks every night at our house.  🙂

We are significantly older than the OP, and frankly prefer to sail on Royal than DCL.  Basically because of the price point and the benefits of suites on Royal.  We still love Disney though and have sailed on all five of the ships.  Plus we just booked a sailing next summer to see their new private island.  

But again, the price point difference is significant.  You can get a veranda cabin on RCL for probably 70% of the cost of a similar cabin on DCL, when comparing similar itineraries.  

We also enjoy the ability to try the up-charge restaurants on the Oasis class ships when we sail.  We do enjoy Palo on the DCL ships as well.  

But, we are solid Disney fans and really enjoy our visits to the parks.  We also enjoy watching the interaction of the children and the characters both in the parks and on board.  

I cruised once on DCL. I got lucky and the price and the scheduling worked out great. But for the going price of a DCL cruise, I can cruise twice on the other lines.

With that said, I did enjoy our cruise, and wouldn't not sail DCL again.

• Like 2

On 3/27/2023 at 10:03 PM, Yesimapirate said:

Tyia 

oh yes DCL is good for us without kids and over 40 too.

I love the Fantasy and she has a nice adult area two story in front of the ship and a bench water swirl type setup to relax.  Food is good in all rotating restaurants and the ship is very clean.

One thing is the nightly gathering of officers all in white near elevators as well as characters and music.

And Disney private island has three areas including one of adults.  But I ended up liking the area with families closer to the ship.  Disney has soda offerings near the pool that is not extra.  A lot of balconies will have two baths, one with rub and one with toilet.

Our first cruise with DCL DH & I were in our late 30's - no kids. Twenty-three years and 11 more DCL cruises later, we're still fans, still no kids and I'm planning #'s 13 and 14. We're both Disney fans (our very first vacation together when we were dating was to WDW) so I can't speak to how well tolerating/liking will mesh with a DCL cruise versus being fans. 

DCL is special, I love the product. It's not for everyone obviously. I think you can get the service and similar entertainment on other lines for adults, although it won't be Disney obviously

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...