Are pets allowed on O ships?

Sujormik

We have 10days on Marina in June, but with allergies I’m concerned about possibly having a cabin that had a dog or cat prior to our arrival. Or during the sailing though the room issue is bigger. I saw someone referenced a guest feeding their dog onboard and got me wondering. Thanks.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sujormik said:

We have 10days on Marina in June, but with allergies I’m concerned about possibly having a cabin that had a dog or cat prior to our arrival. Or during the sailing though the room issue is bigger. I saw someone referenced a guest feeding their dog onboard and got me wondering. Thanks.

Absolutely not..

Jacruz1

• Like 1

only service dogs are supposed to be allowed

The term "service dog " is subjective

we had one lady pushing her dog in a stroller

not what I would consider a service dog

I am sure they clean the rooms after an animal was  an occupant

Maybe I can train my Cat as a service cat   I do not want to leave her at home 🤔

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Did NOT see any animals on Riviera (12/13-23/2021) or Sirena (11/18-28/2022).

I wish cruise ships had a resident feline for good luck!

While on Sirena, did talk a lot about the pet tortoise one of the young singers had to leave ashore for her contract. She had pictures of it growing up, going from tiny to huge! We all wished she could've brought it on board.

55 minutes ago, schmerl said:

Where would this dog "do his business"?

They usually have a grass pad  set up on the balcony or another part of the ship  for the dogs

On Hal they had a fire hydrant & the grass pads on the Promenade deck  for the pooches

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

Did NOT see any animals on Riviera (12/13-23/2021) or Sirena (11/18-28/2022).

I wish cruise ships had a resident feline for good luck!

While on Sirena, did talk a lot about the pet tortoise one of the young singers had to leave ashore for her contract. She had pictures of it growing up, going from tiny to huge! We all wished she could've brought it on board.

Capt Kate on Celebrity always has her cat on board..and is quite the celebrity!! 

7 minutes ago, LuAnn said:

Capt Kate on Celebrity always has her cat on board..and is quite the celebrity!! 

That cat is "hairless" and considered allergy free....at least that is what I have been told.  One family member also has one of these unique creatures...

• Like 1

Sorry, Jancruz, but there was once a time when Oceania allowed pets.  About 5-6 years ago we had a big fluffy white Pekinese on our Oceania cruise whose "Mommy" took it everywhere.  Their stateroom was a few doors away from ours and she took the dog to the main dining room and daytime events in the lounge.  At the Captain's Q&A she and the dog were seated very close to me and she glared when I asked about the ship's pet policy.  Official answer was that she had pre-arranged it with O.  I asked the obvious question about bathroom issues and was told she used doggie training pads which I assume the housekeeping staff had the task of removing.  There was quite a buzz in the room when I asked my question, some in favor of pets and some not.  Perhaps the "support" pet problem has now been solved, but I personally think it's unhygienic to have animals on ships, especially in areas where food is served.   It's bad enough on planes where space is even more confined.  Glad Oceania has taken a firm stance on this.

• Like 7

I cannot believe PETS are allowed

Service animals are though 

If some people lie about the animal the cruise line cannot challenge them  per the ADA  Act in the USA

If the dog was being fed in the dining venues people food  then I would have a conversation with the GM

It is not a service animal

Many people try to game the system  so they can take FiFi with them on a cruise

• Like 3

It’s disgusting when someone feed the dog from their hands and then touch the table, the chairs and everything else in the buffet. Shouldn’t be allowed on the ship. Some people cannot stand even the kids on board. What about the dogs?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@LHT28 There are actually two questions that can be asked about an animal presented as a “service” animal.  Per the ADA, those questions include:

In situations where it is not obvious that the dog is a service animal, staff may ask only two specific questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability? and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform?

https://www.ada.gov/resources/service-animals-faqs/

• Like 1

Just now, 4jsmama said:

@LHT28 There are actually two questions that can be asked about an animal presented as a “service” animal.  Per the ADA, those questions include:

In situations where it is not obvious that the dog is a service animal, staff may ask only two specific questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability? and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform?

https://www.ada.gov/resources/service-animals-faqs/

Exactly

But people do not have to say what the disability is

Some people  lie  so their PET  can be with them

• Like 1

@LHT28, you are correct.  You cannot legally question what the person’s disability is, but you are legally entitled to question if the pet has been trained to assist with a disability and what the tasks are that the animal provides.  The legitimacy of the pet can most certainly be falsely attested to by the owner, but you are within your rights to raise the two questions as outlined by the ADA.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 4jsmama said:

@LHT28, you are correct.  You cannot legally question what the person’s disability is, but you are legally entitled to question if the pet has been trained to assist with a disability and what the tasks are that the animal provides.  The legitimacy of the pet can most certainly be falsely attested to by the owner, but you are within your rights to raise the two questions as outlined by the ADA.

Agree

answer   to part one   YES

Part 2   it keeps me calm

😄🍷

@LHT28, not necessarily.  Per the ADA link provided:

The ADA makes a distinction between psychiatric service animals and emotional support animals. If the dog has been trained to sense that an anxiety attack is about to happen and take a specific action to help avoid the attack or lessen its impact, that would qualify as a service animal. However, if the dog’s mere presence provides comfort, that would not be considered a service animal under the ADA.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, china addict said:

Sorry, Jancruz, but there was once a time when Oceania allowed pets.  About 5-6 years ago we had a big fluffy white Pekinese on our Oceania cruise whose "Mommy" took it everywhere.  Their stateroom was a few doors away from ours and she took the dog to the main dining room and daytime events in the lounge.  At the Captain's Q&A she and the dog were seated very close to me and she glared when I asked about the ship's pet policy.  Official answer was that she had pre-arranged it with O.  I asked the obvious question about bathroom issues and was told she used doggie training pads which I assume the housekeeping staff had the task of removing.  There was quite a buzz in the room when I asked my question, some in favor of pets and some not.  Perhaps the "support" pet problem has now been solved, but I personally think it's unhygienic to have animals on ships, especially in areas where food is served.   It's bad enough on planes where space is even more confined.  Glad Oceania has taken a firm stance on this.

Why are you sorry the question was are dogs or cats allowed on Oceania and the answer is NO

Jancruz1

10 hours ago, 4jsmama said:

@LHT28, not necessarily.  Per the ADA link provided:

The ADA makes a distinction between psychiatric service animals and emotional support animals. If the dog has been trained to sense that an anxiety attack is about to happen and take a specific action to help avoid the attack or lessen its impact, that would qualify as a service animal. However, if the dog’s mere presence provides comfort, that would not be considered a service animal under the ADA.

What does your  dog  do for you?

Do you feed it from the table in the restaurants ?

2 hours ago, artlee said:

Why are you sorry the question was are dogs or cats allowed on Oceania and the answer is NO

Jancruz1

Not true. I saw it myself. 

But not  pets   they are supposed to be service animals

Not sure on Cats  but I guess if  a Cat is trained  they might be also allowed  but I have not seen one on a ship  that we have been on

As per the other  posts   if they say they are a  support animal  the cruise line  has no choice  they must allow them onboard   but the owners can lie about  their status

There is  a difference in pets & service/support  animals