Tradewinds (duty free shops) idea . . .

DorothyB

I was watching a walkthrough of the Jewel and realized that NCL has missed one opportunity to make more sales.  I know you can buy candy (at relatively expensive prices), but they really should start selling soft drinks!!  Many of us have been disappointed that NCL doesn't have our favorite soft drinks available and we aren't allowed to bring them on board.  I would pay $3 for a can of Dr Pepper a couple of times during a cruise!  I'm sure that there are many others who would be willing to pay a premium price for their favorite beverage.

1 hour ago, DorothyB said:

I was watching a walkthrough of the Jewel and realized that NCL has missed one opportunity to make more sales.  I know you can buy candy (at relatively expensive prices), but they really should start selling soft drinks!!  Many of us have been disappointed that NCL doesn't have our favorite soft drinks available and we aren't allowed to bring them on board.  I would pay $3 for a can of Dr Pepper a couple of times during a cruise!  I'm sure that there are many others who would be willing to pay a premium price for their favorite beverage.

The cruise lines have exclusivity agreements with vendors to only sell soft drinks from one vendor.  That is, if the agreement is with coca cola, then only coke products can be sold on ship.

40 minutes ago, julig22 said:

While I like the idea, the shops are leased, not owned by NCL.  So they wouldn't want the competition.

Now if they could put in vending machines and reap the profits there...

There are vending machines in most arcades for the kids. 

17 minutes ago, UKstages said:

dr. pepper is not distributed by the coca cola company (except in europe and korea), so it's extremely unlikely you would see dr. pepper onboard an NCL ship since NCL now has a partnership with coke.

Incorrect.  It's distributed by Coke in a few area of the US, by Pepsi in some areas and on their own (with 7up and others) in other regions. 

For example,  you can get Dr Pepper in McDonald's in some states while others will have Mr Pibb.