Expedition cruise - Belize City to Belize City (Dumont d´Urville Nov 2023)

Charmar78

7 minutes ago, 3ric said:

I guess I expected that polar expeditons and boots/parka were the cold weather equivalent of snorkeling expeditions, with mask etc.. (re: above screenshot from Becky10)

I would be interested to know what the plan is for those who don't book the blue hole snorkeling or punta sal expedition so I can make an informed decision. It is understandable but a bit disappointing since it does not feel quite the same as what was marketed. 

Additionally. for the case of the punta sal expedition, The cruise description states a visit in a zodiac and now it has an optional excusions shown to do the zodiac tour of the marine park + small tour.
It is unclear what is optional and what is included.  Additionally, the website only shows the punta sal excursions but the app shows additional ones at placencia and for the blue hole. If I cant use the app, I dont have all the info when booking or before traveling. 

image.png

I also thought they would be the hot weather equivalent! I have found the Ponant rep to be really helpful so tomorrow I can reach out and ask about these things and see what they say! I really hope that there will be space for whoever wants to do things. It's one of the reasons that all-included expedition travels are appealing to us. I don't want to go on a trip and be "shut out" of something. Just would seem like a bummer! 

• Like 1

I spoke to the very nice Ponant rep today, and she said that she couldn't see any excursions on her end of the website, and that since it was an expedition, it should all be included. So who knows! I'm just counting down the days....😀

• Like 1

On 10/18/2023 at 2:35 AM, Charmar78 said:

Hi @Explore01, I was not planning on having any vaccination based on Ponant´s requirements for the destinations we are visiting but let me know what your travel clinic says about our itinerary. Thanks!

We went to the travel clinic and got a few vaccinations. They also recommended taking Malaria meds because the Bay Islands are listed as a risk area. https://www.cdc.gov/malaria/travelers/country_table/h.html

57 minutes ago, trena@affordabletours.com said:

We will be going on Dec 5th out of Belize

Ponant Le Dumont D Urville, Should be excellent weather. Looking foward to traveling to a new area and super excited. Looking forward to the areas that have not been really traveled to alot. Come on it will be a blast!

That’s the trip we’ll be on! Also super excited!

On 11/12/2023 at 3:07 PM, 3ric said:

Hi everyone, I am checking in to see if anyone has booked the additional excursions that are now listed? I understood during the webinar and booking that the trip was an expedition trip, with all excursions included but the diving one. I am a bit flustered to now see that a few paying expeditions have popped up. Including snorkeling. 

What is everyone else doing?

Hi - just wondering what the situation is now that you're onboard? Are the excursions included? Also I was wondering if we need to bring a white outfit? (I don't have one!)

Hi, so there are about 4 excursions not included. the blue hole snorkeling (but there is snorkeling at half moon caye that is apparently potentially better) and 3 in.placencia but that includes 3hr of bus and is a whole day thing. Everything else was included and the schedule was quite busy, never a moment to be bored! definitely pack mosquito spray that you can take with you on the more wild hikes, water shoes, and ankle shoes that can get muddy or good for jungle hikes. Long sleeves needed and pants required for about 3 of the days. It has been wonderful. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 3ric said:

I will add we feel no need to book the extra excursions given everything already included. on days of excursions you will miss something else if u book them.

Thanks so much for all of this! I have been reading that snorkeling at the Blue hole is not too spectacular, and we’ve actually been snorkeling in other parts of Belize that were, so I would believe that half moon Caye is better! I don’t have ankle shoes but I have hiking shoes that I hope will be fine! I’m glad to hear you’re having a wonderful trip and hope you enjoy the remainder!

@3ric or anyone who has been on this trip - just wondering about the "white party"? In the pre-cruise info it says we should pack "white or black and white outfit". Is there an event that everyone is supposed to wear all white to, and if so, will it be odd if I'm not wearing all-white? I don't have that, and would have to buy it before we depart in a week! Sort of stupid question, but just wondering — thanks!

9 hours ago, Becky2010 said:

@3ric or anyone who has been on this trip - just wondering about the "white party"? In the pre-cruise info it says we should pack "white or black and white outfit". Is there an event that everyone is supposed to wear all white to, and if so, will it be odd if I'm not wearing all-white? I don't have that, and would have to buy it before we depart in a week! Sort of stupid question, but just wondering — thanks!

We.had a white party on our Indonesia cruise in March. It was a pre-dinner event on the back deck and everyone did follow the suggested dressed code. We had brought white outfits so we blended in.

We did not have one on our 7-day Corsica trip the year prior.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jpalbny said:

We.had a white party on our Indonesia cruise in March. It was a pre-dinner event on the back deck and everyone did follow the suggested dressed code. We had brought white outfits so we blended in.

We did not have one on our 7-day Corsica trip the year prior.

Was that a Sea Day?  We didn't have any white party on our Azores 7-day, but we also didn't have any sea days.  [It was go-go-go one island after the next!]

6 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Was that a Sea Day?  We didn't have any white party on our Azores 7-day, but we also didn't have any sea days.  [It was go-go-go one island after the next!]

Yes, I took a look and this was on a sea day.

7 hours ago, 3ric said:

We had a white party during our 7 days with no sea days.

But it’s a party after dinner? I can manage black and white but I just don’t have a white dress or white pants. I actually tried to buy some but I hated them and I don’t want to spend money on something I’m never going to wear again!

Edited by Becky2010

7 hours ago, Becky2010 said:

But it’s a party after dinner? I can manage black and white but I just don’t have a white dress or white pants. I actually tried to buy some but I hated them and I don’t want to spend money on something I’m never going to wear again!

In our case it was around sunset, before dinner.

It was very pleasant out on the back deck, close to the water. With the quiet electric drive system you hardly hear anything but the ocean rushing by. And no diesel fumes to interfere with the taste of your wine!

20230312_190743.thumb.jpg.fa2e9c3b2dabb04f23fe249111f1ccb0.jpg

Chris brought a simple white linen dress that took minimal packing space. It was useful in other parts of the tropics as well.

20230312_184338(0).thumb.jpg.9c3dffa42cd829ec5f3571af9c6be96b.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

In our case it was around sunset, before dinner.

It was very pleasant out on the back deck, close to the water. With the quiet electric drive system you hardly hear anything but the ocean rushing by. And no diesel fumes to interfere with the taste of your wine!

20230312_190743.thumb.jpg.fa2e9c3b2dabb04f23fe249111f1ccb0.jpg

Chris brought a simple white linen dress that took minimal packing space. It was useful in other parts of the tropics as well.

20230312_184338(0).thumb.jpg.9c3dffa42cd829ec5f3571af9c6be96b.jpg

That looks perfect! Ask her if she wants to sell it to me! 😂 we leave in a week!

• Haha 1

Our cruise is coming to a close and I wanted to share some impressions (this was my 1rst Ponant cruise). For those of you departing on the same cruise in the coming weeks: lucky you!!

I won't spoil it with pictures and too much details to keep the surprise, this itinerary is very unique and will please any traveller loving wildife, culture and gastronomy. Truly a once in a lifetime experience that I highly recommend.

The boat is amazing, no surprise as we had seen pictures but what truly was unexpected was the level of service and passion showed by all the crew.

I am looking forward to the next one already... it will be hard to get any better, my expectations are ridiculously high now 🙂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Charmar78 said:

Our cruise is coming to a close and I wanted to share some impressions (this was my 1rst Ponant cruise). For those of you departing on the same cruise in the coming weeks: lucky you!!

I won't spoil it with pictures and too much details to keep the surprise, this itinerary is very unique and will please any traveller loving wildife, culture and gastronomy. Truly a once in a lifetime experience that I highly recommend.

The boat is amazing, no surprise as we had seen pictures but what truly was unexpected was the level of service and passion showed by all the crew.

I am looking forward to the next one already... it will be hard to get any better, my expectations are ridiculously high now 🙂

Wonderful! Thanks for sharing and I’m so glad it was such a positive trip. Safe travels home!

On 10/17/2023 at 5:24 PM, Explore01 said:

I am also booked for this Belize cruise expedition.  You seem to be very knowledgeable as having taken cruises with Ponant before! I am just wondering if you ever received any type of directive from Ponant regarding recommended vaccinations for the countries that you are visiting? I reached out to Ponant and was told that there are no required vaccinations for this trip. I looked up the United States vaccination recommendations for Belize and Honduras. There are specific recommendations for high risk groups (like those going on expeditions). I am trying to figure out which vaccinations to get without going overboard! I am wondering if you have any recommendations on who I might be able to reach out to at Ponant and how you figure out what vaccinations you might need for a given expedition. Thank you! 

The cdc recommends taking malaria medication if traveling to the Bay Islands in Honduras - which this itinerary takes you to. Wondering if anyone who has gone or is going is planning on doing that?