No more liquor from fun shops?

momin05

I have been away from the boards and away from cruising since last June, so I may have missed it. But I am back on the wagon with 3 cruises booked in the next 18 months!  But I noticed there are no liquor bottles for purchase in the Fun Shop?  My dad will not be happy if he can’t get his bottle to enjoy on the balcony.  I see water, soft drinks and wine. 

Thanks for any information you have. 

Wow, people were fighting with the liquor bottles from the fun shops?

Just kidding. It does seem strange they would pick that to single out. That really is disappointing. Price never mattered to dad…he just wants to mix his own bourbon and ginger ale in his cabin and enjoy it on his balcony. At 83, he probably wouldn’t even pick a fight with anyone.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, momin05 said:

Wow, people were fighting with the liquor bottles from the fun shops?

Just kidding. It does seem strange they would pick that to single out. That really is disappointing. Price never mattered to dad…he just wants to mix his own bourbon and ginger ale in his cabin and enjoy it on his balcony. At 83, he probably wouldn’t even pick a fight with anyone.  

It's easier for them to make sure nobody is overserved if folks don't have liquor in their rooms they can drink indiscriminately.

Now they brought back the bottles for longer cruises but a bottle of Jack is I think $130 plus delivery charge, hardly worth it vs. paying for drinks.

• Like 1

I’m sure that that may be part of the spirits are not available for purchase from the fun shops but from somebody in the business there are a lot of  spirits that are not available  in the general  public because of no availability for Bottles or product due to Covid

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sgwscruiser said:

I’m sure that that may be part of the spirits are not available for purchase from the fun shops but from somebody in the business there are a lot of  spirits that are not available  in the general  public because of no availability for Bottles or product due to Covid

The reason cited on JH's Facebook page when bottle sales was discontinued was due to behavioral issues. I don't recall him mentioning availability as a reason. Availability has certainly affected the brands available onboard.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, pnwredhead said:

I recently found out that they only allow you to purchase bottles of hard liquor on cruises that are 7+ days. Wine and beer are your only options for cruises shorter then that. 

Oh ok,  ours is a 5-day. Too bad. He has DOUE so I guess he can order shots and take them to his cabin to mix. 

12 hours ago, momin05 said:

Oh ok,  ours is a 5-day. Too bad. He has DOUE so I guess he can order shots and take them to his cabin to mix. 

If he has DOUE, he can do this.  Take onboard a covered tumbler (like a Yeti or bubba cup).  Order a shot.  Empty into tumbler.  Repeat every 5 minutes for as long as he wants.  Take tumbler back to the room.  It's a workaround, but will cost him some time and each shot will count against his 15.

14 hours ago, mz-s said:

Now they brought back the bottles for longer cruises but a bottle of Jack is I think $130 plus delivery charge, hardly worth it vs. paying for drinks.

How is it hardly worth it? Is 1 liter of Jack at the bar coming at some premium? 

Some of us love making a heavy pour in our room. 

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

How is it hardly worth it? Is 1 liter of Jack at the bar coming at some premium? 

Some of us love making a heavy pour in our room. 

Making your own pours is definitely a good reason to get the bottles.

The bottles used to come cheaper. You get about 22 shots. At the current prices for a bottle there is very little savings over buying drinks from the bar or room service.

A liter is about 33.8140227 ounces. How many shots you get depends on the size of your shots.

If you are okay with the price of a bottle, then it is worth it. No waiting in line and no need to tip extra to get a decent pour.

33 minutes ago, LHARTWICK said:

Do they no longer keep your liquor purchases until the last night of the cruise?  It doesn't matter to us one way or another...........just curious. 🤔

We are discussing the bottles of liquor you could buy before the cruise for delivery to your cabin. Duty free liquor is still held until the end of the cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

We are discussing the bottles of liquor you could buy before the cruise for delivery to your cabin. Duty free liquor is still held until the end of the cruise.

Ah - thank you for the clarification!  😊

• Like 1