eSIM on a Cruise

irishclover59

Hi - has anyone ever used an eSIM on their mobile phone while traveling in Eastern or Western Caribbean?  If so, did it work ok?  I'm not looking for constant wifi or the ability to stream but just to get walking directions in port.  Thank you.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, irishclover59 said:

Hi - has anyone ever used an eSIM on their mobile phone while traveling in Eastern or Western Caribbean?  If so, did it work ok?  I'm not looking for constant wifi or the ability to stream but just to get walking directions in port.  Thank you.

You need to check with your carrier.

I haven’t used one in the Caribbean, but have in Europe and in the US. As long as you purchase one that has coverage there (you can usually select areas) they should work. We also use it while docked and tether off of my phone rather than use the ships slow wifi.

They work great, before switching to T-Mobile last year when they gave free Data (5GB) with no extra cost I used Google Fi.  It was cheap and I could toggle it on and off at will so I only paid when we traveled.  I have heard GigSky is good and actually have it setup to use if I need it, but you will be just fine as long as you choose a carrier and plan that works in the country you are going.  

Side note, we had ATT and I have been very happy with the switch to T-Mobile.  I was worried it was going to be a hassle with 3 phones, 2 watches and 2 tablets but it was easy and they paid me almost $1000 in VISA gift cards to switch, which cost me nothing.  I have traveled overseas twice with the service and it’s seamless.  I saved money from ATT and have way better service and options.  I would highly recommend it especially if you frequently travel overseas.

• Like 1