Self-Serv Laundry

REGINA

Not on any RCCL ship, Carnival does. You can send out your laundry and pay for them to clean it, there is a charge.

I have a question, why when on vacation would anyone want to do laundry?? I have always wondered this. I go to get away from the normal chores, like making the bed, cleaning and laundry. I know some dont want to bring home dirty clothes but why spend a day of something you paid for to do something you can do when you get home?

Just curious.. not flaming anyone.

Not on any RCCL ship, Carnival does. You can send out your laundry and pay for them to clean it, there is a charge.

I have a question, why when on vacation would anyone want to do laundry?? I have always wondered this. I go to get away from the normal chores, like making the bed, cleaning and laundry. I know some dont want to bring home dirty clothes but why spend a day of something you paid for to do something you can do when you get home?

I don't think I would ever have the need for it on a 7 day cruise or shorter but I could definitely see the need on a 10 day or longer cruise. I would much rather pack light and do 1 load of laundry then have to bring more then 1 suitcase.

We're doing a 12 day repo this fall and I sure wish there was a self serve laundry on board. I just hate packing so many clothes. I can do 7 days just fine, but 12? At least this time I'm just packing for myself, as DH is staying home.

I don't think I would ever have the need for it on a 7 day cruise or shorter but I could definitely see the need on a 10 day or longer cruise. I would much rather pack light and do 1 load of laundry then have to bring more then 1 suitcase.

I actually experimented with this for the first time on the Carribean Princess last December. We went on a 7 day and I knew Princess had self serve laundry so I talked the DW into packing extremely light with the thought that one night (it happened to be around 1 in the morning) we would do the laundry. It took about 70-85 minutes to do our laundry. The trade off was I was able to go with one suitcase and the DW one case (note this included packing my tux and her two formals). We had a carry-on but the only reason was to keep my meds and any valuables with us.

Sure I understand the thinking why do the laundry on vacation but the way we planned it, it was not a bother and it sure worked great not hauling the "house" on my back. Quite frankly, the biggest hardship was prior to the cruise convincing the DW she didn't need all that "stuff"! :cool:

I agree--I don't mind throwing a load of clothes in a machine--it's not like I'm scrubbing them on rocks or anything! Packing for 10 or more nights is difficult, for me. I know I always overpack--just in case. (Sometimes I can be a real slob! Must have a hole in my chin, or something!) A self-service would be handy.

For those of you doing laundry onboard, do you stay with your laundry or is it your stuff that people toss out on the floor after you don't show up for a couple of hours? The problem as I see it with public laundry facilities is that people bring a load down, put it in the machine and then take off to do something fun rather than sit with the laundry. Anytime I've had to deal with a public laundry facility while on vacation, some inconsiderater person has left their wet clothing in the washer for a couple of hours (it doesn't take nearly that long to do a load in the washer) or there's been a load in the dryer for the better part of the day (or night).

One other thought. Do cruise lines have problems with laundry machine hogs the way some people hog chairs by the pool?

Well, we are going on a 16 day trip with two day pre and 2 day post cruise. I just don't have 21 pairs of some things......so, I am thankful HAL has self serve laundry as well as their laundry service!

One week till we fly off to South America!

March 20th Rotterdam- Valparaiso to Rio de Janeiro

For those of you doing laundry onboard, do you stay with your laundry or is it your stuff that people toss out on the floor after you don't show up for a couple of hours? The problem as I see it with public laundry facilities is that people bring a load down, put it in the machine and then take off to do something fun rather than sit with the laundry. Anytime I've had to deal with a public laundry facility while on vacation, some inconsiderater person has left their wet clothing in the washer for a couple of hours (it doesn't take nearly that long to do a load in the washer) or there's been a load in the dryer for the better part of the day (or night).

One other thought. Do cruise lines have problems with laundry machine hogs the way some people hog chairs by the pool?

Good question Doug,

My one experience (or experiment) showed that people were pretty good with others belongings. Yes folks loaded the washer/dryer and left, but if the washer/dryer became idle, other folks that needed the washer/dryer would just put them carefully on the tables in the laundry room. I never saw any moved to the floor and I witnessed this three times. Also, no one seemed bothered that their clothes were moved. However I guess it comes with experience and understanding of the "protocol". And I guess, you could always have that bad experience.....

I went to Turkey for 21 days, with 1 bag, a large one but still only 1, plus my carry on. I did not have 21 days worth of clothes with me, some things I wore more than once and once I had to wash out the delicates in the sink in the hotel and hang them up, but that was all I had to wash. I guess because when I am home I wear my clothes more than once before I wash them, I do the same on a cruise or other vacation. I just hang things back up when I get back to the cabin, if needed, I spray them with febreeze and iron them.

I really hate doing laundry.. LOL If I could afford it, I would have everything sent out, I used to do this with most of my clothes but then lost one of my jobs so the laundry bill had to be cut. Now I just take everything I am going to wear on a cruise to the cleaners before I go, leave it in the bags, then drop everything off when I get back. Lucky my cleaner is reasonable! I can get a whole weeks worth of cruise stuff, including formal, cleaned for less than 60 dollars.

since their costumes cannot be washed after every performance, they spray with voka to remove unpleasant odors. Quite unique.

I pefer Tide in sink to wash out shirts, wrap in towel to ring out & hang to dry overnight. My DH brings 14 days of underwear & socks but clothes, we bring a week & rinse everything out after wearing. I refuse to pay $30 for week's worth of clothes......

Our last vacation was a total of 21 days precruise time in London plus a Med Cruise. I bought underwear especially made for hikers/campers that are meant to just be rung out and hung to dry. We had two pair a piece, and I alternated handing washing with a little liquid soap.

As for our other stuf...I'm with Nitra on I rewear clothes until I can't. I then love sending a few items to laundry. My clothes never look better than when I get them back from RCCL laundry. It is a real treat to get a hard to iron shirt in perfect form back from the laundry.

In fact, clothes that wrinkle easy, I'll pack them dirty to have them sent out to laundry when I unpack on the ship. Or for 1/2 price they will press only.

I have never seen laundry facilities on any Royal or Celebrity ships, only on Carnival, Princess, Holland, and Cunard. For long sailings it is sometimes an advantage to choose one of those cruise lines for that reason! :) Or you have to decide to pack more or just pay to have things cleaned while you are on the ship. Not that bad for pricing and you don't have to worry about wrinkles from being in your suitcases!:)

I have a question, why when on vacation would anyone want to do laundry?? I have always wondered this.

Because I like to work out, I hate having dirty sweaty clothes around, and I have no desire to wash clothes out in the bathroom sink.

Every August we vacation for at least three weeks. After our seven night cruise on the Mariner, we are going to Disney for 11 days and Universal for 4 or 5. Three nights before cruse in St. Augustine. I don't have that many shorts or bathingsuits. But I would not want to do laundry on the cruise. We'll try to find a laundrymat on the way to Disney. Or use the one at the Wilderness Lodge when we get there.

Wear things twice? I don't care about the cleanliness factor, as much as the "wearing things twice" factor. ROFL

All kidding aside....as I sit here, I have a pile of laundry that needs to be done, and here I am on the computer rather than my own personal at-home laundry room. Argghhh, laundry is not a difficult task, but for some reason I avoid it until absolutely necessary. Damned if you'd ever find me doing laundry on a cruise ship!

There are porters for my multiple, big, full bags, and most modern suitcases have wheels for the short amount of time I have to handle them myself. :)

Tracy

Tracy, I just got home from my friend's house. I had just washed one large load, put it in the dryer, washed another load, and went back to get the first load out of the dryer. Guess what? The heating element quit! Two full loads of damp, cold clothes. Had to take everything out, put it in a basket, drive to a friend's house, lug this very heavy thing into HER laundry room, and put it in her dryer.

I AIN'T GONNA DO THAT ON MY CRUISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll always opt for the laundry service while cruising. It cuts down on packing, and everything is returned folded/pressed etc. I pack for half the trip, then send it out midway. It's a nice luxury for me since I work hard (and can't afford a housekeeper at home!) I figure, what's another $30 bucks after all I've shelled out, so I always budget for it.

No matter how quick/easy/convenient some say it is, I'm not about to spend one minute of my cruise vacation in a laundry room on any ship.

Archived