Mexico

jamesnnb

Just now, Cruise Raider said:

The state department warnings have been in place for a really long time in Mexico.  Princess did cancel the port of Mazatlan for a couple of years when the cartels took over.  So, if any consistent unrest does happen, they will most likely cancel it again.  But for now, they have assurances from the city officials to keep the tourist areas safe to the extent that is possible.  
There are no assurances that bad things can happen but that is anywhere, even in our home town.  But, exercising some increased awareness of your surroundings and remaining in the clearly marked tourist areas is your best bet to staying safe.  Enjoy your cruise.  

Does anyone cruise to Acapulco  anymore?   It use to be a favorite stop many many years ago. 

Edited by waltd

57 minutes ago, Vic The Parrot said:

What beach was this?  

Mazatlan's main beach in the Golden Zone.  Lots of trash on the beach and smelled of decaying fish/seafood despite being on far from the fishermen.  Beaches in Cabo and PV were so much cleaner and welcoming.  Mazatlan lacks the upkeep of a tourist destination.  I've always had this feeling about Mazatlan, even pre-COVID.  Having said that that nothing beats the beaches on the Caribbean side of Mexico (Cancun, Cozumel, etc.).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

Mazatlan's main beach in the Golden Zone.  Lots of trash on the beach and smelled of decaying fish/seafood despite being on far from the fishermen.  Beaches in Cabo and PV were so much cleaner and welcoming.  Mazatlan lacks the upkeep of a tourist destination.  I've always had this feeling about Mazatlan, even pre-COVID.  Having said that that nothing beats the beaches on the Caribbean side of Mexico (Cancun, Cozumel, etc.).

That explains the lack of crowds.

Every picture I see of that beach shows that it's not really a popular spot for a dip.

I was afraid you were gonna say Stone Island. Whew, what a relief. 😵

4 hours ago, waltd said:

Does anyone cruise to Acapulco  anymore?   It use to be a favorite stop many many years ago. 

It will be a stop that pop up sometimes on some lines Panama Canal cruises.  Problem is that it is really too far south for the really common 7 day loops that Princess does most of the time. Less fuel to do PV, Mazatlan, and Cabo then to do the original Princess route (love boat days) of Acapulco, PV, and Cabo.  The longer 10 day cruises focus on sea of Cortez so they do not go farther south either.  

Edited by ldtr

4 hours ago, Vic The Parrot said:

That explains the lack of crowds.

Every picture I see of that beach shows that it's not really a popular spot for a dip.

I was afraid you were gonna say Stone Island. Whew, what a relief. 😵

Ssshhhh I was afraid you were going to give away the secret of the beautiful beach at Stone Island. The beach the locals go to where they can avoid tourists.

• Like 2