Electrical outlets on Symphony

I'm sailing in April on Symphony of the Seas from Barcelona. Are the outlets on the ship for US or European plugs? I'll need a converter anyway since I'll stay a bit in Barcelona before the cruise, but it'll be easier if the cabins have US plugs. Thanks!

43 minutes ago, Leleka said:

I'm sailing in April on Symphony of the Seas from Barcelona. Are the outlets on the ship for US or European plugs? I'll need a converter anyway since I'll stay a bit in Barcelona before the cruise, but it'll be easier if the cabins have US plugs. Thanks!

Welcome to Cruise Critic

All Royal Caribbean ships have US power. Assuming that all of your devices accept 240 volts, you do not need a converter. Just a plug adaptor. 

image.png.41945b38ee48d4088c6eb22807ed0d2c.png

The desk in our Symphony room had three US, 1 European, and 2 USB. From a cybersecurity perspective, you should never plug you device into an untrusted USB outlet, and should always use your power cube. 

image.png.d32fe1b00e78229145e72d196590ea76.png

image.png.c3d15736b941c3a7060410ff4065ff20.png

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, little britain said:

@BirdTravels what is a power cube? I always just plug 🔌 into the usb? 

I think what they call a "power cube" is what other people call a "block".

The square thing that you plug into the wall's electrical outlet that you then plug the cord into, versus just plugging your cord into the USB port on the wall directly.

8 hours ago, Leleka said:

All ships, have both 110v and 240v plugs.  Newer whips have USB plugs.  

When you say you need a "converter" is it because you plan on using items that will not work with 240v? Example is hair dryer.  Most electronics, like phones, cameras, computers etc are dual voltage so to carry a "converter" does not seem to be needed.  Adapters to change USA flat pins to the Euro two pin plug is needed and you should keep a bunch of those on hand, and very cheap to get. 

Since we don't carry hair dryers etc we very seldom carry a converter for international travel now. But it is a personal choice, and what you need.

1 hour ago, Joseph2017China said:

When you say you need a "converter" is it because you plan on using items that will not work with 240v? Example is hair dryer.  Most electronics, like phones, cameras, computers etc are dual voltage so to carry a "converter" does not seem to be needed.  Adapters to change USA flat pins to the Euro two pin plug is needed and you should keep a bunch of those on hand, and very cheap to get. 

No, we'll just have electronics like phones or tablets. I just wasn't sure which term to use, adapters or converters.

I would be careful about bringing these all-in-one blocks on board. I have heard that they (cruise terminal) might confiscate them. I had a nice conversation with RCL about this, and since they are a 3rd party and don't work directly for RCL you might get some mixed results (even though they are RCL approved). My recent cruise I bought several different types, some in my luggage, and some in my carry on - all had no issues. However again, your results could vary.

Just be sure you don't bring anything that appears to be a corded surge protector. Regardless if its not a surge project or a power strip, they will take it from you.

• Haha 1

On 4/3/2023 at 9:10 AM, Leleka said:

No, we'll just have electronics like phones or tablets. I just wasn't sure which term to use, adapters or converters.

We’ll be on Allure in August and being an older ship,I was wondering how many plugs/USB outlets it has, so we can keep everything charged.

18 hours ago, Smooth_J said:

I would be careful about bringing these all-in-one blocks on board. I have heard that they (cruise terminal) might confiscate them. I had a nice conversation with RCL about this, and since they are a 3rd party and don't work directly for RCL you might get some mixed results (even though they are RCL approved). My recent cruise I bought several different types, some in my luggage, and some in my carry on - all had no issues. However again, your results could vary.

Just be sure you don't bring anything that appears to be a corded surge protector. Regardless if its not a surge project or a power strip, they will take it from you.

Where are you hearing that?  The issue isn't about the power converters, it's a different safety feature that's the issue.

We've been sailing with a 4 USB outlet plug block for about a decade, and have had no second glances at it.  And that's probably 30-40 cruises.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sargemrs said:

We’ll be on Allure in August and being an older ship,I was wondering how many plugs/USB outlets it has, so we can keep everything charged.

Just sailed on the Allure in Feb- no USB outlets.  Just plugs to put adaptors in.

The closest thing to a USB outlet are the clock radios that have the older Apple 30 pin dock adaptor.  

5 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

Just sailed on the Allure in Feb- no USB outlets.  Just plugs to put adaptors in.

The closest thing to a USB outlet are the clock radios that have the older Apple 30 pin dock adaptor.  

Ok, thanks for that!

45 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Actually, what I believe @BirdTravels was referring to is the "wall wart" or block that comes with your device to charge it (little white cube), that they in many cases sell as an "extra" these days.  He is saying that an unknown USB port could be a malicious data port and not a power port.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alfaeric said:

Where are you hearing that?  The issue isn't about the power converters, it's a different safety feature that's the issue.

We've been sailing with a 4 USB outlet plug block for about a decade, and have had no second glances at it.  And that's probably 30-40 cruises.

There was another thread about this on this forum or another and they posted a picture of the “bad table” where all the contraband was. Some also stated that anything with a multi plug could be confiscated. I do sail with the blocks and multiplug adapters and I personally had no issues. However it’s something to keep aware of.

12 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Actually, what I believe @BirdTravels was referring to is the "wall wart" or block that comes with your device to charge it (little white cube), that they in many cases sell as an "extra" these days.  He is saying that an unknown USB port could be a malicious data port and not a power port.

Cube vs. block.  No problem, you are probably right.

On 4/3/2023 at 3:08 AM, little britain said:

@BirdTravels what is a power cube? I always just plug 🔌 into the usb? 

I meant to say the power that came with your phone. 

image.jpeg.06e9c3cb693f85071311c48e9b5530ab.jpegimage.jpeg.be5eb37697773b2e610af8784b26c070.jpeg

And that using your power adaptor is the safest way of recharging a smart device versus using an untrusted USB port at the airport, hotel, or even a cruise ship. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1