Atlantic Southeast Air CR7

wdonnieb

Has anyone ever flown on Atlantic Southeast Airlines (Delta connection) on a CR7 jet? We have been bumped to one for a leg of our flight and are leaning toward keeping the seats based on travel timing and other availability. I am just concerned about the type of plane it is and what type of flight and amenities it has.

Any help would be appreciated.

Donnie

ASA is nothing worry about. A CR7 (or any regional jet for that matter) is not typically a very comfortable aircraft for flights over 500 or so miles (unless you are a munchkin or a kid). Hopefully you don't have far to fly.

The airplane has zero amenities. Check out this link for exact details: http://seatguru.com/airlines/Delta_Airlines/Delta_Airlines_Canadair_CRJ700.php

If you have a big roll-on you'll have to check it at the gate. There also are no power ports or in-flight audio. Head room is only about 6 feet so it's a tight fit all around. Try to sit as far forward as possible as the engines are at the rear and it can get VERY loud back there.

It is a good aircraft for getting you from point A to point B, but the only amenities will be a can of soda and maybe some crackers. Aircraft is small, but most flights on those are pretty short. Don't make the effort to try to change

We flew on CRJ aircraft this summer and found them relatively comfortable.

If you check on seatguru.com, you will find that the seats on the CRJ (either configuration) are actually wider than on the 3/3 767 configuration on Delta. Go figure.

Seat size is definitely an issue for us - DH is 6'5", 280, and I'm economy-sized myself. As an earlier poster said, if you have someone over 6', try to get them an aisle seat because of the aircraft curvature. DH had no problems in the aisle seat.

I actually liked the aircraft because they were very quick to load and unload, and we were quite comfortable.

My only issue with the plane was that the seats were leather, so I got a bit sticky.

Hope this makes you feel better!

Wendy

It is a good aircraft for getting you from point A to point B, but the only amenities will be a can of soda and maybe some crackers. Aircraft is small, but most flights on those are pretty short. Don't make the effort to try to change

I do 2 segments each way each week. On one soda and snack (crackers) but on the other only water. The flight is too short to bother with soda service. They are great for short flights. Easy to load and unload.

ASA is the poor stepchild of the Delta Connection family. Far greater problems than SkyWest or Comair. If you want examples, try reading the DL forum on FlyerTalk.

I would be sure that I have plenty of connect time after the ASA flight if you really have to make the next flight.

As for amenities and comfort, it's on the low end of the scale. As previously mentioned, larger carry-ons have to be gate checked and put in the cargo hold. The seats have a thinner "padding" and less recline. IMO, the aircraft is noisier than a DL MD-88. Windows are low, so you have to crunch your neck to look out. You do deplane faster (since there are fewer pax), but have to wait for gate-checked carry-ons. No upgrade possiblity for elite flyers since there is no F. Often considered a torture chamber for flights over 500 miles.

CR7 stand for Canada Air regional jet 700 series. It holds 70 PAX (average fleet age 2.3 years old). It is almost always a pretty new aircraft and is much greener and safer than any of the old MD88s (25 years old) and many other "big jets" though a bit on the smaller side as far as cabin height, this series boasts many improvements that the "200" series doesn't have (50 PAX). This includes not having freezing cold air blow on your feet, instead it blows at elbow level. (Which is actually an improvement, trust me). ASA has 93% on time rate this month, and typically is over 90% most of the year. The lost bags that ASA gets a bad rap for aren't their fault at all. Its Delta's. Yep that's right. ASA doesn't have its own baggage system, it is completely run by Delta, but in this Delta connection/ Delta environment, PAX typically arrive at their destination on ASA not on a large delta Jet, so, ASA bears the brunt of incompetence on Delta's part, but has to report baggage losts seperalety from delta due to FAA regulations. FYI Skywest recently purchased ASA. Also, it is remarkeable that you get any professional service with ASA at all, given that the ASA management treats its employees like crap. For example, the pilots have not had a cost of living increase in their pay in almost 4 years. The pilots have also been negioating a new contract for at least that long-and they have not gone on strike, they continue negioate (note in Atlana, there is a big billboard procaliming this when you appraoch the airport by car). Keep also in mind, these pilots don't even make half as much money as the Delta pilots make after their nearly 40% pay cut. CR7 seats are all leather, and unless it is a 3 plus hour trip, you'll likely be pretty comfortable. It is not first class, to be sure, but I think it better than coach in a lot of other planes.

Archived