Hot Glass Classes

Cruisingirl2012

24 minutes ago, Cruisingirl2012 said:

We are planning on taking this class and pre-booking it if possible.  I'm just wondering if anyone knows if we can book for 2 from different cabins together as booking for 2 is a little less money. 

Yes, you can.  When you book the class through your Cruise Planner, it does not make you declare who the second person is.  The only passenger identified is the one that is buying the package for two.  That is the way it was done when I purchased it in advance of our late 2019 cruise, and I just checked my CP for an upcoming 2023 sailing to confirm that it is still true today (although the price has almost doubled!).

image.thumb.png.f6f4661c791a3af6156de4dc500c0b58.png

image.png.3657d53db17b36b1910e45a6b34b1a25.png

Edited by mahdnc

Also, don't forget to ask for your 5% Captain's Club discount (only available if you call in tho).

As Georgia Peaches says, you have $120 each to apply to your piece. If you want a more expensive piece, you pay the difference.....and don't forget a nice tip for your "helper"!😀

Edited by CaroleSS
  • Like 1

I made the tidal wave vase shown in yellow and white (far left in picture above).  Be sure you talk with the person about the colors you want because they don't necessarily look like the colors in the bowls.  The vase I made turned out more brown than I would have wanted as I was going for red like in the heart in the picture above.  I still like it a lot but wont be using it for the holidays like I originally planned. Here's a couple pictures.  The blue piece was one that we commissioned by one of the glass blower artisans on the ship.

image.png.633608a2508c82220444f6cfb0777ed5.png

image.png.6a3bf749162aa91ba0dc08c4c5719bba.png

• Like 5

1 minute ago, driftychick said:

I reserved a spot on our Solstice Cruise for 4-8-2023.  When and how are you notified of your assigned date and time for your session?

Go to the glass blowing spot on the first day around sail away to sign up.

• Like 1

We sat and watched them several times on our cruise and never really saw two people blowing at the same time.  When people came together for a class they made one person sit and watch from behind the rails while the other person did their pieces then they switched.  Just fyi in case you were hoping to actually work together. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Yes, you can.  When you book the class through your Cruise Planner, it does not make you declare who the second person is.  The only passenger identified is the one that is buying the package for two.  That is the way it was done when I purchased it in advance of our late 2019 cruise, and I just checked my CP for an upcoming 2023 sailing to confirm that it is still true today (although the price has almost doubled!).

image.thumb.png.f6f4661c791a3af6156de4dc500c0b58.png

image.png.3657d53db17b36b1910e45a6b34b1a25.png

That has been our recent experience for pre-booking for the glass blowing class for 2 guests for our Sept. cruise: easy but great increase in price!

9 minutes ago, chimchimtx said:

We sat and watched them several times on our cruise and never really saw two people blowing at the same time.  When people came together for a class they made one person sit and watch from behind the rails while the other person did their pieces then they switched.  Just fyi in case you were hoping to actually work together. 

Chimchimtx, that was our experience pre-covid and expectation for  our September cruise:  we can book for 2 guests but it will be a consecutive not concurrent experience.

Two points - the time of the glass demo will be in the app.  Go BEFORE that to sign up for your time.  While they are doing their demo they won't schedule you and the demo pretty much takes the whole sailaway time.  Second, there is no requirement for both people to be scheduled together.  You paid for two appointments and they can even be on different days.  Your other option is to wait until they are open later in the cruise and schedule then, but you will have fewer choices of times.

Pieces have to anneal overnight after you do them.  You will pick them up the next day they are open.  Well-packed for taking home, although we didn't try to put them in our suitcases.

Edited by LeeW

Hubby and I just booked our first Celebrity cruise aboard Equinox for 2024.  I am very interested in these hot glass classes but have lots of questions.  How many people are in the class at the same time (I get that we will not all be blowing at the same time from SusieAV8R).  Can we both be in there at the same time?  How many others will be with us?  Is the 20 minutes for each person to "create" their piece or the whole group together?  Is this done during sea days or will I be forced to do this on port days?  I'm trying to wrap my head around this but have no schema on what actually goes on.  Can someone who has taken the class please tell me how it works?  Thanks in advance

30 minutes ago, bucky0926 said:

Hubby and I just booked our first Celebrity cruise aboard Equinox for 2024.  I am very interested in these hot glass classes but have lots of questions.  How many people are in the class at the same time (I get that we will not all be blowing at the same time from SusieAV8R).  Can we both be in there at the same time?  How many others will be with us?  Is the 20 minutes for each person to "create" their piece or the whole group together?  Is this done during sea days or will I be forced to do this on port days?  I'm trying to wrap my head around this but have no schema on what actually goes on.  Can someone who has taken the class please tell me how it works?  Thanks in advance

My family of 4 has done the Hot Glass class on several different cruises.  It is not done as class with multiple people.  They are set up as individual appointments. 

Each time the class was done with one pupil at a time from beginning to completion of the piece..  So for my family of 4, we simply took turns.  While we waited for our turn we watched the other family member create their piece with the instructor.  

Most people take their classes on sea days.  I am not sure what the availability, if any, is on port days.  I know on our last cruise on Solstice, we saw the Hot Glass employees ashore at a bar when we docked at Wellington.

image.thumb.jpeg.c36a47cbcc31c91754de756a72bb5d3a.jpeg

Our daughter working on her piece while Solstice is cruising the Tasman Sea.

image.thumb.jpeg.59068f16d8c664bdf4aabd245d33fe92.jpeg

Later our son is working with his instructor.

Here are the choices of pieces that could make.  The class fee allowed you to make the cheaper pieces for free.  You were charged extra if you wanted to make the larger pieces.

image.thumb.jpeg.95de1ca890c7414e1a39ba9b977b358b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.08228b135fa21e423442891fd7e84171.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc
  • Thanks 2

I also meant to add that the pricing in the two pictures was as of Dec 2019/Jan 2020.  I am sure that today's pricing is much higher.  But the principle remains the same: the class fee includes the cheaper pieces.  The more expensive pieces required an additional charge.

• Thanks 1

My understanding is that for the equipment to be on, the ship must be moving. So appointments are on sea days only, or perhaps for a few hours on a port day when the ship arrives early or departs late from port.

Edited by hrhdhd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mahdnc provided a complete response.  I would add that there is an audience nearby (the other side of the plastic barrier):  folks who simply want to watch others making glass objects!  It really is a cool experience!  And such fun memories when I look at my fave piece!!  I like the pumpkins and I think Mahdnc (in another thread) had made one in blue which will my next project (despite the price nearly doubling  from when I made my last one 🙂 )

• Thanks 1

For those that are interested in seeing more online information besides the standard Celebrity web page, here are some interesting websites from the two companies contracted to run the Hot Glass Class:

Hollywood Hot Glass: based in Florida, this is Celebrity's current vendor since late 2018.  Their web page shows you the options for the things you can make (no prices) and there is even employment opportunity information.

Corning Museum of Glass: Celebrity contracted this famous organization to introduce "Hot Glass at Sea" on Solstice, Equinox, and Eclipse starting in late 2008.  Their museum in Corning, NY is very impressive and is well worth a visit if you are in the area. One odd thing about their Hot Glass at Sea web page is that a picture of Silhouette is shown which never had it as that space was used for specialty restaurants.

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 3

One last series of questions:  I see right now that there is a 5% discount (113.99 for one and 208.99 for two).  Do the prices ever go down? Or am I better off just securing my spot now and not worry about additional money off? 

For anyone who has made the wavy bowl: How hard was it getting it off the ship?  I am an overpacker but do self assist when leaving.  Will I be able to safely pack this in my luggage or be prepared to somehow carry this off with my third hand?  LOL 

Re prices: all I've read is that the prices are going up. I've watched our class for a while and it has never gone on sale.....so buy now. You can always cancel and rebook should the price drop. Also, don't forget to call to book as there is a 5% Captain's Club discount.....every little bit helps!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bucky0926 said:

One last series of questions:  I see right now that there is a 5% discount (113.99 for one and 208.99 for two).  Do the prices ever go down? Or am I better off just securing my spot now and not worry about additional money off? 

For anyone who has made the wavy bowl: How hard was it getting it off the ship?  I am an overpacker but do self assist when leaving.  Will I be able to safely pack this in my luggage or be prepared to somehow carry this off with my third hand?  LOL 

I have seen the Hot Glass Class on sale, but CaroleSS's advice is very good: book now and if you see a sale afterward, you can always cancel and rebook to lock in the savings. 

My family made the wavy bowl as well as several other pieces on Christmas Day 2019 while on Solstice. We packed it very carefully in our carry-on luggage and managed to get off the ship at Sydney and flew home to Chicago without breaking it. The Hot Glass Class doesn't offer anything to pack it in other then maybe some bubble wrap. So you're pretty much on your own. If you know that you're going to make a wavy bowl ahead of time (we didn't), you can at least come prepared with materials and a plan. If you'd like, I can measure the dimensions of our wavy bowl if you're thinking of bringing some kind of rigid box or container to house it in. 

IMG_9328.thumb.jpeg.c94dd0dc26f03756eb3365f0e9c11314.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, mahdnc said:

I have seen the Hot Glass Class on sale, but CaroleSS's advice is very good: book now and if you see a sale afterward, you can always cancel and rebook to lock in the savings. 

My family made the wavy bowl as well as several other pieces on Christmas Day 2019 while on Solstice. We packed it very carefully in our carry-on luggage and managed to get off the ship at Sydney and flew home to Chicago without breaking it. The Hot Glass Class doesn't offer anything to pack it in other then maybe some bubble wrap. So you're pretty much on your own. If you know that you're going to make a wavy bowl ahead of time (we didn't), you can at least come prepared with materials and a plan. If you'd like, I can measure the dimensions of our wavy bowl if you're thinking of bringing some kind of rigid box or container to house it in. 

IMG_9328.thumb.jpeg.c94dd0dc26f03756eb3365f0e9c11314.jpeg

Yes, if you could supply the approximate dimensions that would be helpful.  I have quite a while until this cruise and am sure I will order something from Amazon that would be appropriate to take it home in.  Would be heartbroken if it broke.