Boston Accessible Transportation

510picker

Are you already certified in your hometown to use complementary paratransit service? If so, then you could use the paratransit service in Boston, known as The RIDE, as a visitor. http://www.mbta.com/accessibility/the-ride/the-ride-paratransit-visitors Otherwise, the bus service to and from the cruise vessel terminal is accessible, and there is otherwise good, extensive, and accessible public transportation service throughout Boston operated primarily by the "T." http://www.mbta.com. Is there any other type of accessible transportation (e.g., intercity service) that you're seeking?

• Like 1

Thanks for the info! We are only looking for transportation to and from the airport/cruise port. I am not certified for complimentary public transportation. I am a paraplegic and thankfully can drive myself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 510picker said:

Thanks for the info! We are only looking for transportation to and from the airport/cruise port. I am not certified for complimentary public transportation. I am a paraplegic and thankfully can drive myself.

Given this information, you might need to wait for an accessible taxi to show up. I would assume the wrangler can call for one. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 510picker said:

The RIDE is actually not complimentary (because there is fare charge), but rather The RIDE is complementary (it supplements the local public transportation system). You can be certified for complementary paratransit in your hometown even if you're able to drive yourself. The standard for certification is the inability to use conventional public transportation (for whatever reason, even if it is simply the inability to travel by wheelchair between home and the nearest bus stop), and so ability to drive oneself does not disqualify a person from certification. Also, complementary paratransit service can be used for any purpose, within the service area of the public transportation system, so it is available to transport people with disabilities between the airport and the cruise port (and vice versa). So it you contact the public transportation provider in your hometown, and meet its requirements (e.g., filling out the form, getting a physician to approve), you will then be able to use The RIDE in Boston. But if you cannot get certified (e.g., you're found able to use conventional public transportation), then in Boston you will have to rely on using either conventional public transportation or an accessible taxi. Of course, using an accessible taxi would not require certification, so it would be easier in that regard, though it would have a higher cost (the cost for traveling on The RIDE is $3.35 for each of the disabled person and their guest, but a personal care attendant is carried without charge). There are a total of 100 accessible taxis in Boston, along with additional accessible vehicles arranged by the two main TNCs, Uber and Lyft. http://www.boston.gov/departments/disabilities-commission/transportation-help-people-disabilities Alas, the number of accessible taxis and TNC vehicles may not be sufficient for reliable service (with The RIDE there is a reservation confirmed in advance). Hopefully this information will help in your decision-making.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What a great post, and not only because of the excellent analysis of the difference between Complimentary and Complementary!

Next:  Alternate vs. Alternative!

Edited by Nitemare
  • Like 1