Why do you suppose…

Drew B 58

…the outdoor sections on both sides of the promenade deck are such underutilized areas on the Panorama?  When I sailed last September, I found it to be nearly empty all the time (with the exception of the smoking area at the front of the starboard side).  I wondered if my sailing was an anomaly, but I have seen on various vlogs, reviews, and trip reports, that this is typical.  Is it the case on sister ships Vista and Horizon?

I’m just curious, as I consider it to be a highly desirable area with a wonderful selection of different types of excellent seating.  I would think it would be much more popular than it is…

Same way on the Dream class ships as well.  Yes, it is normal.  Best place to be in my opinion.  A lot of folks want to be where all the action is so that is why the lido area is so crowded.  I usually go to the sides of the Lido deck or down to lanai area on the lower deck and sit.

On the Dream class they tried adding hot tubs to draw folks out there but it isn't a great fit as wet bathing suits aren't great inside on Promenade.  We sailed on the Horizon in the Mediterranean on the second voyage and don't remember much about the ship because our sailing was so port intensive, but do remember the bbq lunch served at Pig and Anchor was nearly vacant on embarkation day.

I am not a fan of "open" decks that have high glass along the railing. I like open decks that are like deck three on the Conquest class where I can lean on the rail and see and feel the ocean. Looking at the ocean through dirty glass is perhaps worse than just sitting in my room watching the ocean on the TV, and you can't take decent pictures through that glass.

• Like 1

I wish that they would have a full loop that extends around the promenade decks on Carnival ships.  One of my favorite features on Disney  is that you have access to walk around the entire ship on the promenade deck.  It's a pain in the neck to walk on the upper decks when it gets crowded.  There used to be a way to walk around the Sunshine on the promenade when she was the Destiny but I don't think that you can even do that any longer.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, ryanpatricksmom said:

I wish that they would have a full loop that extends around the promenade decks on Carnival ships.  One of my favorite features on Disney  is that you have access to walk around the entire ship on the promenade deck.  It's a pain in the neck to walk on the upper decks when it gets crowded.  There used to be a way to walk around the Sunshine on the promenade when she was the Destiny but I don't think that you can even do that any longer.

The Dream deck 5 is like that. One of my fav features. 

8 hours ago, carrieluvsgreg said:

On the Dream class they tried adding hot tubs to draw folks out there but it isn't a great fit as wet bathing suits aren't great inside on Promenade.  We sailed on the Horizon in the Mediterranean on the second voyage and don't remember much about the ship because our sailing was so port intensive, but do remember the bbq lunch served at Pig and Anchor was nearly vacant on embarkation day.

That's partly due to the fact that they realllly push people to go up to Lido Deck for lunch on embark day.  We're happy it's therefore less crowded at Guy's BBQ... As well as at Jiji's Asian Kitchen and Cucina del Capitano, which are also uncrowded on embark day.  We make a beeline for them (2 out of the 3, usually) as soon as we board. 

In fairness, the vast majority of lunchtime dining is on the Lido Deck:  Buffet, Guy's, Blue Iguana, pizza place, etc., so it makes sense to generally direct people there.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kona_wahine said:

The Dream deck 5 is like that. One of my fav features. 

I had forgotten about the Dream promenade. I haven't sailed her, but  I have sailed the Breeze and the Magic and I believe that they had it as well.  I need to keep that it mine when we're booking going forward.  Thanks for reminding me!

I like finding the out-of-the way places to relax away from everything.   Lido isn't it!

We were just on Elation and I kept wondering around trying to find some decent seating where it was quiet, and some shade.  Not much luck.

While walking around early, we found a nice area on Verandah...covered...comfy chairs with cushions. We quickly figured out that was the smoking section.  Guess they get the nice stuff.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Sabalon said:

I like finding the out-of-the way places to relax away from everything.   Lido isn't it!

We were just on Elation and I kept wondering around trying to find some decent seating where it was quiet, and some shade.  Not much luck.

While walking around early, we found a nice area on Verandah...covered...comfy chairs with cushions. We quickly figured out that was the smoking section.  Guess they get the nice stuff.

The aft area of Lido, beyond the buffet area, has a nice al fresco seating area. You can often find a table there unless it's a busy meal time.

The serenity area is small on Fantasy class, but there are typically chairs available in the shaded area.

There are often tables and chairs available around the coffee shop, and on Empress deck in the atrium area.

There's always the library, limelight lounge, and piano bar, they're typically open and available for relaxation as long as they're not being used for some other event.

The opposite side of the ship from the smoking area should be a nonsmoking seating area that is similar in setup to the smoking area.

There's always your stateroom (balcony if you have one) as well.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sabalon said:

I'm fairly sure the portside of Verandah Deck has the same comfy chairs but with 100% less smoking.  

Also, the aft Serenity area on the Fantasy-class ships, while small, has a nice benefit:  it is almost completely OUT of the wind...the same strong winds that can be a major factor for Serenity when it's situated at the front.  

I loved the fact that the hot-tubs there* didn't officially close until midnight...and one night they kinda forgot and didn't close them until 2 am.  🙂   

-----

*  This was on Imagination (r.i.p.), but same class

16 hours ago, mz-s said:

The aft area of Lido, beyond the buffet area, has a nice al fresco seating area. You can often find a table there unless it's a busy meal time.

8 hours ago, Pellaz said:

I'm fairly sure the portside of Verandah Deck has the same comfy chairs but with 100% less smoking.  

Also, the aft Serenity area on the Fantasy-class ships, while small, has a nice benefit:  it is almost completely OUT of the wind...the same strong winds that can be a major factor for Serenity when it's situated at the front.  

-----

*  This was on Imagination (r.i.p.), but same class

The aft of Lido is where we tried to eat but for some reason those tables never seemed to get cleared - always had dirty plates all over.  We'd consolidate some sometimes, but usually was more than we felt like dealing with.  It was a nice out-of-the-way place to hang out.  Chairs are not the nicest but good views, great for morning coffee.   On the port side, the sliding door was so overworked it would sometimes stop working, or partially work.  Made for some fun people watching.

We were trying to stay outside to relax so the inside ones just weren't going to do it.  Library is nice though.

Did not walk through the port side Verandah - I just saw the same setup and assumed that it was also smoking.  I want a do-over now!!!  

Serenity was a catch-22.  We could usually find some seats in the shade.. but sometimes it was fine, but the lack of a breeze got a little stuffy.   

All I want is a quiet area with shade, a slight breeze, comfy chairs, no smoke and loud music, that no one else knows about or uses🙂