Yacht club wifi question

jean87510

I have 3 upcoming YC sailings.  2 on Divina.  1 on Seascape.  On all 3 I have premium wifi on 2 devices.  I have a few questions.

1.  Is the premium package the streaming package?

2.  If not, can you upgrade pre cruise or do you have to wait onboard?

3.  Can you switch between devices?  For instance, husband has phone, work computer and tablet.  Can he log off and log on another device?

This will be my first MSC and also obviously first YC.  Im new to MSC but have some cruises under my belt.  Reason I'm asking is I saw a YouTube video today where the person said the wifi given is non streaming.  I called MSC today and I got a non answer.  Can anyone clarify?

55 minutes ago, mmbcater said:

Once you assign the wifi to the device then you cannot change it. Yes the premium wifi is the streaming package. It is their best package. Enjoy your cruises MSC YC is the BEST!

... are you sure that is still the case?

This is how it is currently listed on the MSC website...

"Premium Internet package (Browse - 2 devices Unlimited Internet Package)"

image.thumb.png.27e137952e696c73f2445e4f753cfe2b.png

Edited by Mark_T

1 minute ago, Mark_T said:

... are you sure that is still the case?

This is how it is currently listed on the MSC website...

"Premium Internet package (Browse - 2 devices Unlimited Internet Package)"

Is there anything higher then premium? 

1 minute ago, jean87510 said:

'Premium' isn't a grade of wifi package though...

The two options are 'Browse' or 'Browse & Stream' ...

image.png.bb2203f9816a5c392a8f203cdaed0062.png

They list the included Yacht Club package as 'Browse' the lower of the two options...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

I am sure--when on board you can browse and stream with the YC packages. I own a travel agency and run my business (when I need to work) with the YC internet.

Edited by mmbcater
  • Like 1

Just got off of phone with a rep.  unfortunately yes, the browse and stream package is not the included package with the YC.  I cannot upgrade.  I will have to be charged the full price which is $358.  Or one device which is $201.  For 7 days.  Yes, we absolutely do need it because husband's job pays for these cruises and he has to be able to be reached.  

I would test it first-yes a rep may have told you that but you can call back again and get a different answer. MSC has just hired a lot of call agents and they are going through the training process.........

So, I decided to just pay for one device browse and stream as we needed it anyway for 1.  We have plan Bs for the 2 devices pp for browse only.  Fortunately I did it on the website where it was $100 instead of $201.  

1 minute ago, mmbcater said:

I would test it first-yes a rep may have told you that but you can call back again and get a different answer. MSC has just hired a lot of call agents and they are going through the training process.........

thanks for your help.  I try to have a glass of wine before I call MSC.  They are much better than they were a few years ago.  I think the reps just don't understand the question.  It's all good.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

Just got off of phone with a rep.  unfortunately yes, the browse and stream package is not the included package with the YC.  I cannot upgrade.  I will have to be charged the full price which is $358.  Or one device which is $201.  For 7 days.  Yes, we absolutely do need it because husband's job pays for these cruises and he has to be able to be reached.  

The info you received from customer service representative is not what we experienced. I am sure I reported with these photos in my "Observations" on February 19-26 Seascape cruise. Everyone in the Yacht Club gets complimentary 2 device "Browse". We could work on our phone and laptop at the same time (I took these screen shots and airdropped them to my laptop posting here on CC). We noticed that we could not get on YouTube, so on second  (or third) day we both upgraded to browse and stream and was charged $48 TOTAL for the rest of the week for the two devices. Do everything on board, one will never get a refund booking from home ahead of time.

The other screen shot is what to expect on sea days when everyone (5500) are using the wifi. The best time to use the wifi is in port when everyone is off touring, exploring. We stay on board and found this out.

0.thumb.png.a1b2a2368ceade5152d5e0a5cb3221d5.png

IMG_2254.jpeg

Edited by morpheusofthesea

30 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

It's kind of close.  I paid $100 for 7 days.  You paid $48 for 5 days.  I lost some dollars but all is good.  Now I know.  Thank you!

I went back and looked at our cruise file and appears these screen shots were from our January 2023 cruise. In February 2023 I found our statement and we were charged $50.40 for upgrading 2 devices to streaming for the week while on board. So with your calculations MSC YC actually decreased the price for its guests upgrading for the week while on board.

12 hours ago, jean87510 said:

thanks for your help.  I try to have a glass of wine before I call MSC.  They are much better than they were a few years ago.  I think the reps just don't understand the question.  It's all good.  

That's scary !!

34 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

That's scary !!

I actually cancelled my 30th anniversary cruise with them because they drove me THAT crazy on the phone back in 2019.  I'm usually pretty patient and this was just a nightmare.  I swore never again.  However, those YC prices were pretty good compared to Celebrity Retreat let alone an Oceanview.  So I decided to be more patient this time and so far a couple of hiccups but not deal breakers.  

• Like 1

Just got off Seascape last week:

I have 3 upcoming YC sailings.  2 on Divina.  1 on Seascape.  On all 3 I have premium wifi on 2 devices.  I have a few questions.

1.  Is the premium package the streaming package? - No.  Premium package in YC only get's you the "BROWSE" package.  They must have some form of "traffic restrictor" on their service.  I did a speed test on the "BROWSE" package and I had 100 MBPS up and down speeds.  But when using the internet it was way slower than what you'd expect at those speeds.  

2.  If not, can you upgrade pre cruise or do you have to wait onboard? - Wait until you get on board to see if you actually need it. 

3.  Can you switch between devices?  For instance, husband has phone, work computer and tablet.  Can he log off and log on another device? - No...once a device is registered that is your assigned device.  If you need a 3rd device you will have to pay for it.  However, if you aren't using both of your 2 assigned devices you can obviously assign one to him.    

6 minutes ago, UWGRAD1 said:

1.  Is the premium package the streaming package? - No.  Premium package in YC only get's you the "BROWSE" package.  They must have some form of "traffic restrictor" on their service.  I did a speed test on the "BROWSE" package and I had 100 MBPS up and down speeds.  But when using the internet it was way slower than what you'd expect at those speeds.  

2.  If not, can you upgrade pre cruise or do you have to wait onboard? - Wait until you get on board to see if you actually need it. 

3.  Can you switch between devices?  For instance, husband has phone, work computer and tablet.  Can he log off and log on another device? - No...once a device is registered that is your assigned device.  If you need a 3rd device you will have to pay for it.  However, if you aren't using both of your 2 assigned devices you can obviously assign one to him.    

thank you.  I did get answers and did purchase one premium with stream for him as we had to do it anyway since we have 5 devices and we only had 4 allotted.  We have some plan Bs for the other 4 devices.  We also have his international work plan for his phone.  I think this may work.  I'm glad I noticed that YouTube video re the premium package because I had not picked that up prior.  Also just found out from him that he will now moving forward be reimbursed for internet for him only on cruise so it all worked out well.

30 minutes ago, UWGRAD1 said:

I'll try running my VPN (Hotspot Shield) on my phone later this month and see if that helps. On a couple of ships I was able to get a 10 fold speed improvement - apparently by bypassing bandwidth filtering (as they can't see what sites you're going to, so it doesn't kick in their limiters). That's assuming that they don't have VPN's blocked too !

Tom

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I'll try running my VPN (Hotspot Shield) on my phone later this month and see if that helps. On a couple of ships I was able to get a 10 fold speed improvement - apparently by bypassing bandwidth filtering (as they can't see what sites you're going to, so it doesn't kick in their limiters). That's assuming that they don't have VPN's blocked too !

Tom

there's always a way....😁

• Like 1

Just got off the Seascape on Sunday.  Had no issues streaming Youtube videos, video chatting, or watching sporting events on the Browse package.  The upgrade would have been $70 for the week for the streaming package, which would have been unnecessary. 

• Like 1

I have sailed in YC on Meraviglia four times since last October. I have always been able to do Facebook Live videos using the included package, as well as doing FaceTime with my adult kids back home. As mentioned, occasionally the signal gets a little weak during "prime time", but the signal seems better in the YC than other areas of the ship as well.

Edited by GA Dave
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 4/6/2023 at 2:25 PM, sabres431 said:

Just got off the Seascape on Sunday.  Had no issues streaming Youtube videos, video chatting, or watching sporting events on the Browse package.  The upgrade would have been $70 for the week for the streaming package, which would have been unnecessary. 

Thanks for this. Is the internet 2 devices per person or 2 devices per cabin included in the YC? I’ve seen it described both ways. Do you know if you pay for a third person in the cabin the YC do they get additional devices included in their price?

8 hours ago, schittenden said:

Thanks for this. Is the internet 2 devices per person or 2 devices per cabin included in the YC? I’ve seen it described both ways. Do you know if you pay for a third person in the cabin the YC do they get additional devices included in their price?

2 devices per person.  I think it is for the first two people in the cabin so I think you'd have to buy for the third person, but I'm not sure

Each person's sail card has a code needed to set up the WiFi account, so it is two devices per person. That said, nothing stops you from using the other person's code if they only have one device. My wife had her phone, and I had my phone and tablet but used her code to join my laptop.