Birth certificate

Thad409

17 hours ago, Thad409 said:

"Also acceptable for cruise travel (for cruises that begin and end in a U.S port), U.S. citizens can show proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate  issued by a government agency and accompanied by government-issued photo identification.....

That's true for MOST,  but not ALL cruises (even if they start and end at the same port).  For instance, on our upcoming cruise that visits Greenland the ONLY acceptable proof of citizenship is a passport.  (Carnival recently sent an email explaining this).  

22 minutes ago, groundloop said:

That's true for MOST,  but not ALL cruises (even if they start and end at the same port).  For instance, on our upcoming cruise that visits Greenland the ONLY acceptable proof of citizenship is a passport.  (Carnival recently sent an email explaining this).  

Missing from the FAQ is the additional information is that the cruise has to travel in the area defined by the WHTI, which is generally Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean. 

@ZoeyVictoria, the check-in agent that you were working with may have been new, and just trying to go 'by the books' until he/she figured out the nuances of the system. 

It is also possible if you had submitted your passport info when you booked the cruise, but presented your birth certificate instead, it would have alerted the system to the change in documents.  If this was the case, the check-in agent would have had to do a bit more work to change the document being submitted, (or send you to the counter where agents with laptops could have handled it quickly).

In any case, sorry that it happened to you.

When check-in agents look at birth certificate, we are looking at name, date of birth, and whether it matches up with the gov't issued photo ID of the person standing in front of us.  For women whose maiden last name doesn't match the last name of their current photo ID (usually a married name), as long as her first and middle name is the same as the current gov't issued photo ID - they are good to go.  That's how we do it in Seattle.

Also, it wouldn't make any difference that your last name was different from your traveling companion - we are just looking at each individual's presented documents.

8 hours ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

Not a true statement at all.  Some ports do have different lines and some do not.  We have done both and never had an issue or delay getting off a ship.  If it takes a little longer... it's like 2 seconds.

Sorry, should have stated at Port Canaveral, where the Magic and Freedom Dock, they use

a different line for B.C.

Thank goodness we can use birth certificates.  Our passports expired in Jan and we applied for our renewals in the beginning of February not anticipating that they would be inundated with passport applications.  When we applied the turn around time was 6-9 weeks and we had 12 weeks until our cruise.  Now the processing time is 10-13 weeks.  It's been 9 weeks and my status is still In Process and my husband's is Not Available.  We leave on the 22nd and most likely will not have a passport in hand.

41 minutes ago, July707 said:

Thank goodness we can use birth certificates.  Our passports expired in Jan and we applied for our renewals in the beginning of February not anticipating that they would be inundated with passport applications.  When we applied the turn around time was 6-9 weeks and we had 12 weeks until our cruise.  Now the processing time is 10-13 weeks.  It's been 9 weeks and my status is still In Process and my husband's is Not Available.  We leave on the 22nd and most likely will not have a passport in hand.

Did you mail your renewal applications or use the new online program?  I used the online program on January 19 with a 5-9 week timeline given. After 11 weeks of seeing the unchanged statue of “in process”, I submitted a form requesting assistance from my Congressman. I submitted the form  on Tuesday, I received a response with further instructions on Wednesday. On Thursday I was emailed a status report, the passport was shipped on Friday, and I received it on Monday. I was told that there are “dozens and dozens” of applicants who submitted online in December and January who have requested and receive help from their Congressmen. 

My SO mailed his application (first passport, not a renewal) in January.  His check was cashed 32 days later, and his status is still “in process”. We will not be requesting assistance for his, as the online program is the one with glitches. 

51 minutes ago, July707 said:

It says that the turn around time is supposed to be as of the date they received it, not the current processing time.  

They received my kids applications on Feb 2, and I received them last week, about 9 weeks total.

If it says not available, you should call them at the number.  They probably never got the application.

Also, if you leave within 2 weeks, you can call them to have it expedited. I'd call today, see if they can get it to you.

2 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

Did you mail your renewal applications or use the new online program?  I used the online program on January 19 with a 5-9 week timeline given. After 11 weeks of seeing the unchanged statue of “in process”, I submitted a form requesting assistance from my Congressman. I submitted the form  on Tuesday, I received a response with further instructions on Wednesday. On Thursday I was emailed a status report, the passport was shipped on Friday, and I received it on Monday. I was told that there are “dozens and dozens” of applicants who submitted online in December and January who have requested and receive help from their Congressmen. 

My SO mailed his application (first passport, not a renewal) in January.  His check was cashed 32 days later, and his status is still “in process”. We will not be requesting assistance for his, as the online program is the one with glitches. 

My FIL did the online renewal. Submitted Nov 30, received Jan 15ish, about 6 weeks later.

4 minutes ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

My FIL did the online renewal. Submitted Nov 30, received Jan 15ish, about 6 weeks later.

It sounds like it was working at one time.  I waited until we had a long-enough gap in between cruises and it was a mess by then.