Single in Antarctica

shorne

That could be the title of a novel, but never mind…

I've been wanting to visit Antarctica since childhood (yes, more than a year or two ago). Last December I came close to boarding the Ocean Endeavour. Today I was so tempted by thoughts of the icy continent that I couldn't help poking around at the offerings of Hapag-Lloyd, which beguile me despite their prices.

Can you help me to fill the following bill, or at least to come close?

1) Must make meaningful landings in Antarctica. I emphatically don't want one of those cruises—usually mass-market things, apparently—that just pass in the general vicinity of Antarctica without stopping. I'm not afraid of cold weather, wet conditions, proper clothing, and the like. Living in Canada, I already have a lot of suitable clothing and am prepared to buy more if needed.

2) Single accommodations. I don't think that I'd do well in a room with strangers, and they might not want me around either. Zero or low supplement would help greatly. And this criterion affects the next one:

3) Affordability. Hapag-Lloyd, from what I've seen, would strain my exchequer, though I might abandon prudence and take it as a one-time splurge. Hurtigruten seems more affordable but may not have the best itineraries. Within limits, I'd compromise on price to achieve quality.

4) Relatively long duration, probably around three weeks. There's a limit to what I can afford, but I'd sooner stretch my budget for a great trip that probably won't be repeated. I'm talking about the duration out of Ushuaia or similar southern locale, not out of Montevideo or Valparaíso.

5) Comfort in the way of luxuries would be great, though I'd compromise on this to achieve affordability. If I didn't get the best food or wine, I'd make up for it back in Argentina.

6) The Malvinas or South Georgia would be a bonus, but the priority is on Antarctica itself, preferably well to the south. Most compromises would probably be resolved in favour of Antarctica.

7) Much more interested in penguins than in whales.

8 ) Quite flexible about timing. Christmas would be convenient, but earlier or later times would work if I had enough notice.

9) Ideally a somewhat intellectual or æsthetic atmosphere, but I gather that this is common on cruises to Antarctica anyway.

10) Willing to wait a year or two if it will help, but also willing to move heaven and earth to go at the last minute, especially around Christmas.

11) No objection to a cruise in a language other than English, or one with lots of non-Anglos; I might even prefer it.

12) Some little treat on the slightly exotic side, such as kayaking, would be welcome but inessential.

Thanks for any advice.

2 hours ago, Nitemare said:

I jump back to your opening statement:  Why did you pick Ocean Endeavour and why is that no longer the answer to your question?  Or one of their sister ships?

I found out about a discount three or four weeks before departure, and it seemed that I could fit the last-minute trip into my schedule (it extended over Christmas and New Year's, when my office is closed anyway). The route out of Ushuaia seemed good (all Antarctica, something like 17 days), and there was no surcharge for travelling alone. So it wasn't the result of the most careful consideration of the options, more of a spur-of-the-moment opportunity that seemed reasonable. Something unfortunately got in the way.

Maybe Ocean Endeavour is still a good choice. I have seen no reason to rule it out.

#4 is going to be a sticking point, especially if budget is a concern. Even my trip that included South Georgia and the Falklands was just barely 3 weeks. The longest peninsula-only trips are usually only around 2 weeks. Longer trips are typically special itineraries like the Argentina-New Zealand one-way crossings or Oceanwide‘s upcoming four-week tour of the Weddell Sea. But those all start at around €30K.

There are a few ships that offer single cabins. I believe National Geographic Explorer does, and MV Ushuaia lists two on their deck plan. The latter could be a good option for a tighter budget.

However, I’ve done a twin share on two of my trips, and I don’t regret it at all. As long as you’re considerate, rooming with a stranger can be fine, because Antarctica tends to attract very like-minded travelers. My most recent cabinmate ended up sharing the room with me for 40 nights (due to COVID a closures), and two years later we just met up again when she was in town.

I’ve personally been down with GAdventures, Hurtigruten, and Oceanwide, and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend any of them.

• Like 1

I'm booked on Atlas Ocean Voyages solo right after Christmas. They are a newer line that is upscale but a bit more affordable. They do have single cabins, although I personally decided to splurge for a balcony which was more, but not 2x the double occupancy price. They had some hiccups early on (started during Covid) but this season seems to have gone more smoothly and I've heard from a lot of happy customers. There is a FB group with a lot of ongoing feedback and reviews here on CC. 

That is one line that's worth looking into. There are others as well, I think Quark, National Geographic, and Ponant also have solo cabins. Any Antarctica trip is going to be pricey, and length is a factor in price. You will mostly likely find a 14 day trip then can add a few days on each end for excursions. 

• Like 1

I have no issue with lots of non-English speaking folks aboard, but frankly, I think it'd be very difficult for me to go on a German speaking cruise where the lectures (which you said you wanted) would be in German.   My German isn't good, but maybe yours is?   I was looking at Ponant and had no fear because my French is good enough to get through the lectures.    

Have you tried to find YouTube videos from people who went on the cruises you want?   I saw where one Ponant cruise made you wash your own boots with a brush and I was not impressed (or maybe I was extremely impressed, in a negative way).   So I would have to confirm that it's a newer ship with the boot washing machine.   Apparently, I'm the only one concerned about that and the smells.   But I learned from YouTube that my ideal time is November...pristine snow.   🙂   March is whale season, but you wanted Penguins and apparently, they are out in Nov, however, it's pre-chick season.    I learned that the high season is Dec/Jan.   

I noticed that the bargains (like no single supplement) are Nov and March.   I heard that March is too late for penguins and more about whales.   I want penguins and I want to minimize the poop mud.   I also don't want to pay the airfare at holiday seasons  (Christmas/New Years).

From my observation, you might consider Hurtigruten since they offer no single supplement for the less popular voyages.   The one I want is on a ship with no balcony...which is not ideal so I am going to keep shopping.   Also consider 2 days in the Falklands and 2 days in South Georgia.  If you watch the videos, you can decide for yourself if you care about those areas or just want to do the peninsula and some other areas in South America.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, southerngoose said:

Have you tried to find YouTube videos from people who went on the cruises you want?   I saw where one Ponant cruise made you wash your own boots with a brush and I was not impressed (or maybe I was extremely impressed, in a negative way).   So I would have to confirm that it's a newer ship with the boot washing machine.   Apparently, I'm the only one concerned about that and the smells.   

Every expedition I've been on involved a high pressure hose, trays of antiseptic liquid to step in, and boot brushes. 
what is the issue with that? The ships I've been on didn't have muck rooms so all outdoor gear went back to our cabin in between landings. Nothing retained any aromas because they were properly cleaned before and after every landing. 
My Muck boots have done 3 polar trips with me and I've loaned them to 5 or 6 friends for their trips. They are in my wardrobe right now and smell of rubber - not penguin or seal poo. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, southerngoose said:

I saw where one Ponant cruise made you wash your own boots with a brush and I was not impressed (or maybe I was extremely impressed, in a negative way).   So I would have to confirm that it's a newer ship with the boot washing machine.   Apparently, I'm the only one concerned about that and the smells.

I have never heard of a ship where they wash your boots for you. If that’s a concern, Antarctica might not be the best destination for you as visitors are expected to follow strict bio-protection protocols.

I have been on a few different ships where the staff vacuumed the passengers’ landing gear, but that was more about ensuring the job was done thoroughly than about service. I’ve also been on a ship where everyone did their own vacuuming and the staff just did a control check after.

Honestly, spraying down and brushing landing boots has never seemed to phase anyone on any of my trips. And while I do enjoy having a large mudroom, storing the boots and landing gear in the cabin turned out to be NBD when I was on a ship that used that model.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, kaisatsu said:

I have been on a few different ships where the staff vacuumed the passengers’ landing gear, but that was more about ensuring the job was done thoroughly than about service. I’ve also been on a ship where everyone did their own vacuuming and the staff just did a control check after.

Yes on each of my trips there was a combo of doing your own vacuuming plus staff doing extra stubborn vacuuming especially of velcro (even using tweezers!), and the control checks. Plus we all signed forms confirming the vacuuming had been done. 

• Like 1

I'm proficient in French, so Ponant is a good suggestion. My German could stand some improvement but would be good enough for a cruise in German, and I'd get a rare chance for practice in the bargain.

I'm prepared to clean boots or other items.

• Like 2

I was editing my post to add - but timed out!

As I have said for many years - if "your" boots or gear smells then "you" have not cleaned them properly. It's not the responsibility of a machine. It's yours. And not just boots. Your    overpants if you sat on the ground, your parka if you lay on the ground, your bag if you put it on the ground, your tripod legs etc. Everything gets scrubbed after each landing. And it many cases in specific regions also before each landing. 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2023 at 9:44 AM, southerngoose said:

But I learned from YouTube that my ideal time is November...pristine snow. 

I heard that March is too late for penguins and more about whales.   I want penguins and I want to minimize the poop mud.

I've been there in every month except mid January. 

There is no such thing as "pristine" snow except where there are no seals or penguins at all. They don't only poo at certain times of the year. They poo constantly. If you want to see penguins you will see, smell and walk on poo regardless of what time of the season you choose. Seal poo is huge - bigger than that of a huge German Shepherd dog ! Can't avoid it. 

There are still plenty of penguins through March. Tens of thousands of them on SGI shores. Thousands on many landing zones along the peninsula. Seals will be on ice flies and shores. 
Whales of all kinds are plentiful throughout the season but certain breeds like humpbacks are more abundant in March. 

Edited by PerfectlyPerth
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, PerfectlyPerth said:

Your    overpants if you sat on the ground, your parka if you lay on the ground, your bag if you put it on the ground, your tripod legs etc.

In case you missed it in last season’s reports, IAATO guidelines now restrict visitors from sitting down on shore due to increased avian flu risk. I don’t know if it’s a temporary change or not. A little disappointing, but understandable.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, kaisatsu said:

In case you missed it in last season’s reports, IAATO guidelines now restrict visitors from sitting down on shore due to increased avian flu risk. I don’t know if it’s a temporary change or not. A little disappointing, but understandable.

Hiya. Yes I pinned a post in TA a while back with the most current IAATO guidelines and the changes re avian flu. 
(But as we know not all folks obey the rules so at the very least they should be scrubbing/vacuuming before landings). 

• Like 2

We went on Ponant and all announcements and lectures were in both French and English. Yes we had to walk through solution to clean boots and had to scrub them with a brush for South Georgia island. Our boots were stored in the hallway and there was never a smell from them. We went in March and saw loads of penguins, in both Antartica and South Georgia. 

• Like 3