CORAL PRINCESS CABINS

Have done plenty of research on Coral Princess cabins and have selected some cabins based on this.  My criteria were:

Covered balconies and,

Two cabins together on which the balcony partition/separator can be opened (unlocked by steward I believe)

During my research I did find contradictory information regarding these issues, 

Hence, so, hopefully over to you good people to assist or confirm my research.  

Am considering Cabins D234/D232 Deck 9 DOLPHIN

1. or, C235/C233 Deck 10 CARIBE

Your help/information would be appreciated

Are these balconies covered and,

Can the Balcony partitions be opened

Thanks

Most balcony partitions can be opened unless the two cabins are either side of a smoke stop door. I can't check the Princess deck plans to see if that applies to your choices as the Princess website isn't working for that function.

Both your choices have very small balconies - ie less space door to railing but are fully covered.

The best balcony cabins on the ship in my opinion are D624/D626 and D628. These have large balconies and are fully covered. They are handy to the aft lifts which are less busy than the midships ones, and you can walk through to midships on decks 5, 6 and 7. Also there is a large section of public deck right at the stern that has loungers and overlooks the wake.  

Julie has made some excellent comments. I will add that there is an easy way to see if neighbouring cabins are either side of a smoke barrier door. Each section of the ship (starting at the bow) has its own numbering system and between each section there is a smoke-resistant door that can be closed in an emergency. The divider on the balcony cannot be opened if one cabin is in one section and the other is in the next.

The cabins near the bow are in the '200 series', followed by the 300 series etc. The most forward section has cabins from 200 (port side) and 201 (starboard) through to 234 and 235. Immediately behind them are 302 and 301 through to 334 and 335. Then the next cabins are 400 and 401 through to 422 and 423.

With both options that BruCu mentions, the door in the balcony partition should be able to be opened. This is done by the steward when the passengers request it.

Evon, I think I spotted an exception to that rule on Coral. I'm sure there was a smoke stop door mid-aft where the numbers didn't change but I can't check it on the website at the moment 

19 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Evon, I think I spotted an exception to that rule on Coral. I'm sure there was a smoke stop door mid-aft where the numbers didn't change but I can't check it on the website at the moment 

The easiest way to see where the smoke retardant door is located, is by the metal strip across the corridor. These are reasonably close together - only a run of 11 to 16 cabins (on one side) between the two smoke doors. I think the sections are referred to as 'zones'.

2 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

The easiest way to see where the smoke retardant door is located, is by the metal strip across the corridor. These are reasonably close together - only a run of 11 to 16 cabins (on one side) between the two smoke doors. I think the sections are referred to as 'zones'.

I know but I'm sure there was a smokestop door between cabins in the 600s where the cabin number didn't change to a 700 aft of the metal strip. It was a bit strange but it was just forward of where the aft lifts were on Dolphin deck. The 700s don't start until well aft of the lobby, where the Vista Suites are.

56 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I know but I'm sure there was a smokestop door between cabins in the 600s where the cabin number didn't change to a 700 aft of the metal strip. It was a bit strange but it was just forward of where the aft lifts were on Dolphin deck. The 700s don't start until well aft of the lobby, where the Vista Suites are.

I believe there is a smoke/fire door just either side of the lift/stair foyer areas.

there may also be one in the middle between doors, but not sure for coral, because of the third lift/stair wells.

To all you good people

Thank you so very much for your information.

It has confirmed my research and more importantly, given me more information that I can apply for future cruises with Coral.  Have completed some 14 cruises but this is the first time with Princess.

Your comments were very comprehensive and in effect, someway better than my call to Princess as part of my research.

Thank you

2 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

I believe there is a smoke/fire door just either side of the lift/stair foyer areas.

there may also be one in the middle between doors, but not sure for coral, because of the third lift/stair wells.

Yes, that's what I recall but it still surprised me that there wasn't a change of cabin numbers. I think there was another fire door mid aft, a couple of cabins aft of where we were and the cabin numbers did change after that one. 

49 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, that's what I recall but it still surprised me that there wasn't a change of cabin numbers. I think there was another fire door mid aft, a couple of cabins aft of where we were and the cabin numbers did change after that one. 

I haven't been on the Coral, mostly on the Sea class ships and there was I believe a fire/smoke door midway down as I recall. but it only had two lift/stair foyers.

However I was on the Pacific Encounter (Star Princess?) recently, and I think it is similar to the Crown.

If it is There is one near D121, D301, D401, D501, D601, D701, and similar for the other side of Encounter. The other levels would be similar also.

So that would make Aus Traveller correct in the number giving the clue for location.

I assume then that there are Fire/Smoke doors to the Lift/stair foyers each level to seal the corridors off from them.

49 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

I haven't been on the Coral, mostly on the Sea class ships and there was I believe a fire/smoke door midway down as I recall. but it only had two lift/stair foyers.

However I was on the Pacific Encounter (Star Princess?) recently, and I think it is similar to the Crown.

If it is There is one near D121, D301, D401, D501, D601, D701, and similar for the other side of Encounter. The other levels would be similar also.

So that would make Aus Traveller correct in the number giving the clue for location.

I assume then that there are Fire/Smoke doors to the Lift/stair foyers each level to seal the corridors off from them.

Coral is slightly different to the Grand Class ships but, yes, normally the cabin number on all ships gives a clue to the location of the fire doors and therefore whether adjacent balcony dividers be opened or not. There are exceptions to that rule though. I cruised 66 days on Coral last year in a variety of cabins from midships to aft so have a reasonable idea of what that part of the ship is like.

4 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

P&O has only recently started to keep similar numbering from the Princess days, and their deck plans still show the location of the fire doors. For Pacific Explorer and earlier, each deck has/had continuous numbering, but you could still work it out via the doors marked on the deck plans.

For most Princess ships, there are 6 zones on each deck which are divided by 5 sets of fire doors. 3 of those are adjacent to the 3 sets of lifts, as well as 2 more sets between those. As mentioned, there are some random exemptions. Apart from those, most balcony dividers can be opened. The other exception is where the outside of the ship juts in/out, for obvious reasons. eg - on Coral, there won't be a balcony divider between A622 & A624.