Yacht Club and Specialty Dining

LewiLewi

If you are in the YC, do you have to pay full price for specialty dining in other restaurants on board?  If you get military discount, does it pay to also get Match Status for dining discounts or Diamond dinner?

3 hours ago, LewiLewi said:

If you are in the YC, do you have to pay full price for specialty dining in other restaurants on board?  If you get military discount, does it pay to also get Match Status for dining discounts or Diamond dinner?

While both YC and Aurea experiences advertise discounts with dining and spa packages pre-cruise, turns out the discount on the website available to everyone pre-cruise is the discount and it is cheaper than once onboard.  You will receive one speciality dinner for your Diamond status.  We loved Butchers Cut.

Make your reservations on day one!  Unfortunately we were only on a Four day YC sailing and did not purchase a dining package. A couple meals in the YC dining room (along with breakfast and lunch) left us looking elsewhere. By then we could not get reservations at pay restaurants for lunch or dinner.  We ended up at the main buffet for variety but I wouldn’t recommend that either…

enjoy! 

4 hours ago, LewiLewi said:

If you get military discount, does it pay to also get Match Status for dining discounts or Diamond dinner?

I would say yes.  My recommendation is get everything you can.  If you status match to Diamond you get a free specialty dinner.  That alone is worth it.  I can't answer your question about discounts.  When we were on Seashore we dined in Butcher's Cut but we didn't get a discount...we had a lot of OBC to burn so it was fine.  Unlike @L1211 we didn't really tire of the YC options and felt the other specialty dining venues lacked originality.  The Mexican place was interesting and if we go back, we may give it a try for lunch.

18 hours ago, L1211 said:

While both YC and Aurea experiences advertise discounts with dining and spa packages pre-cruise, turns out the discount on the website available to everyone pre-cruise is the discount and it is cheaper than once onboard.  You will receive one speciality dinner for your Diamond status.  We loved Butchers Cut.

Make your reservations on day one!  Unfortunately we were only on a Four day YC sailing and did not purchase a dining package. A couple meals in the YC dining room (along with breakfast and lunch) left us looking elsewhere. By then we could not get reservations at pay restaurants for lunch or dinner.  We ended up at the main buffet for variety but I wouldn’t recommend that either…

enjoy! 

We have asked the concierge at 2pm on the same day for specialty restaurants and it was always set up for us.

For clarification ,we always eat when it first opens. That may help.

Remember that since you're in YC, you can always make special requests for your meals. They will go out of their way to accommodate you, though sometimes they will need more than just a few hours notice. We had lamb five times on our last cruise, even though it was only on the menu once during that time. YC perks are quite nice. 🙂

• Like 2

4 hours ago, helenb said:

When you dine at a specialty restaurant, are the drinks included if you are a YC passenger?

Varies from ship to ship is my experience.  It used to be no, but that seems to be changing.

I ask which seems to be the best approach.

10 hours ago, helenb said:

When you dine at a specialty restaurant, are the drinks included if you are a YC passenger?

Yes, subject to the Premium Extra price per glass ceiling. 

Edited by hamrag

2 hours ago, hamrag said:

Yes, subject to the Premium Extra price per glass ceiling. 

Might have to make that a 'maybe'...

Currently our Yacht Club drink package says it is valid in  speciality restaurants, but others with more recent bookings have reported that is no longer the case...

Edited by Mark_T
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark_T said:

Might have to make that a 'maybe'...

Currently our Yacht Club drink package says it is valid in  speciality restaurants, but others with more recent bookings have reported that is no longer the case...

On 7 YC cruises, the 3 most recent in the past year and the most recent November, provided it is a drink by the glass it has always been honoured. What they will not do is bring a bottle of wine to the table, under the package, even if the per glass price of said bottle is within the plan.

My wife prefers Jaquart champagne, particularly with a specialty meal. During our November cruise we asked the barman in the YC lounge, before leaving for Butchers Cut, if we could take the bottle rather than a flute each (the specialties don't always have the allowed champagne). He said no, and asked if we would like it served in a (large) red wine glass...we said yes, then he almost drained the full bottle, and headed there with a glass each. 😉

Edited by hamrag
  • Haha 1

Hello,

I think MSC are taking lessons on inept/contradictory web design/content from RCI.

I have my original booking confirmation details AND boarding confirmation details both saying my PE drinks package can be used in specialty restaurants, but not signature ones (sailing later this month). However the webpages 'Packages > Drinks > PE' says it cannot be used in a specialty restaurant. This used to be the case for the lesser packages so, being charitable, someone just cut and pasted the T&Cs across all the packages - maybe?

What I also have, back in the days of the €13 limit on PE drinks, is a bullet point that says:

ENTIRE SELECTION [my emphasis] of wines and champagne by the glass.

I'm a bit miffed that I have been sent an upgrade email for the first of my B2B but not the second.

Regards,

Cublet

1 hour ago, hamrag said:

On 7 YC cruises, the 3 most recent in the past year and the most recent November, provided it is a drink by the glass it has always been honoured. What they will not do is bring a bottle of wine to the table, under the package, even if the per glass price of said bottle is within the plan.

Never doubted it was possible in the past, but currently, as cublet has confirmed, the wording has changed and PE is no longer shown as valid in speciality restaurants...

Edited by Mark_T

1 hour ago, Mark_T said:

Never doubted it was possible in the past, but currently, as cublet has confirmed, the wording has changed and PE is no longer shown as valid in speciality restaurants...

Cublet has pointed that out, as you say, and is correct. What you fail to realise is that in the YC you do NOT have a PE drinks package as such, rather the YC experience which happens to include all drinks which are broadly in line with those available in the PE package.

Trust me you will not be denied any drinks, available within the YC package, in the specialty restaurant subject to availability. If all else fails, call the concierge and ask to be put through to the YC lounge, place your order and ask them to bring it to the restaurant. Believe me, that would only happen once as the restaurant will very quickly play ball.

Edited by hamrag
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, hamrag said:

What you fail to realise is that in the YC you do NOT have a PE drinks package, rather a YC experience which happens to include all drinks which are broadly in line with those available in the PE package.

I certainly hope that there will be no problems, but for clarity, my Yacht Club booking very definitely does specifically state that it includes the "Premium Extra Drink Package".

• Like 4

Hello,

Whether it was my email to MSC or my TA but this morning the wording on the PE package now says:

"*The Premium Extra Package can be enjoyed in our bars, buffet, main restaurant and specialty restaurants as well as on private islands, but does not cover our signature venues."

Now only the Easy, Alcohol Free and Minors' packages that may not be used in specialty restaurants.

Yippee!

Regards,

Cublet

1 hour ago, cublet said:

Hello,

Whether it was my email to MSC or my TA but this morning the wording on the PE package now says:

"*The Premium Extra Package can be enjoyed in our bars, buffet, main restaurant and specialty restaurants as well as on private islands, but does not cover our signature venues."

Now only the Easy, Alcohol Free and Minors' packages that may not be used in specialty restaurants.

Yippee!

Regards,

Cublet

That will be interesting   

UK booking, kids go free,  with the added drinks promo  premium for the adults and minors for the kids., 

Family sit down in Butchers cut,  the adults get their wine but the kids have to pay for the coke.

23 hours ago, Mark_T said:

I certainly hope that there will be no problems, but for clarity, my Yacht Club booking very definitely does specifically state that it includes the "Premium Extra Drink Package".

IT used to be that YC experience did not include the rest of the ship,  now you get the PE for use outside YC.

Inside the YC, menu has no prices one side side flip  it over and there is the upcharge list.

2 hours ago, cublet said:

It the other group/family members booked Easy Plus or Premium Extra, then the Minor´s package can be used in specialty restaurants.

Edited by RudiRatlos
typo

1 hour ago, insidecabin said:

IT used to be that YC experience did not include the rest of the ship,  now you get the PE for use outside YC.

Inside the YC, menu has no prices one side side flip  it over and there is the upcharge list.

Thanks, that part wasn't in doubt fortunately 🙂

The problem was only outside the Yacht Club in the speciality restaurants, but it looks like that wording has now been changed and is no longer a concern, so a good outcome for sure. 

Now just have to wait and see if the ships got the memo as well as the website 🙂

Hello,

I fear I may have rejoiced too soon.

From the 'home' page, if I go down from 'On Board' > 'Dining and Drinks' > 'Drink Packages' then the PE package does say it can be used in specialty restaurants. However if I go to my booking then go to add a PE package as if I did not already have one, then that page says it may NOT be used in specialty restaurants.

I think it's sloppy to say the least that there are two versions of the same page live at the same time.

I have sent this to MSC but don't expect a direct response.

Regards,

Cublet

We recently returned from a Caribbean cruise in the YC aboard MSC Seaside.  We took our Diamond status free meal in Butcher's Cut and the meal was terrible. We also tried the Teppanyaki, again food was just ok although the show was good. I was extremely surprised that the food in the YC restaurant was far superior to our past experiences and definitely much better than the speciality restaurants.

With regard to wine, we were allowed to take a bottle of our choice from the YC to the specialty restaurant both times if that's of any help.

9 hours ago, mickey89 said:

We recently returned from a Caribbean cruise in the YC aboard MSC Seaside.  We took our Diamond status free meal in Butcher's Cut and the meal was terrible. We also tried the Teppanyaki, again food was just ok although the show was good. I was extremely surprised that the food in the YC restaurant w

how do you let them know you are diamond or diamond plus on RCI?  at time of booking or when?

55 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

how do you let them know you are diamond or diamond plus on RCI?  at time of booking or when?

You need to google MSC status match.  It was a crazy easy process.  Only a couple of days after submitting the online form with your status info.  Good luck! 

1 minute ago, L1211 said:

You need to google MSC status match.  It was a crazy easy process.  Only a couple of days after submitting the online form with your status info.  Good luck! 

okay.  I know Celebrity automatically recognizes because of being part of same corp.

thanks.