Carnival jewelry shop are the savings really worth it?

Thad409

3 hours ago, RockHoundTX said:

The answer is "sometimes". Tanzanite is trichroic which means that it changes color if viewed from different angles. This is much more evident on larger pieces that have a vivid purple color. On smaller pieces (or ones that are a lighter lavendar) that are set in jewelry, you may not be able to easily see the color change even with real tanzanite. You can also view the tanzanite in different light sources. Depending on the light source (incandescent vs daylight), a good tanzanite should go from a pretty flat purple to more of a blue with deep red flashes. If the color stays the same no matter what the light-source, then likely a fake (or really low quality).

If someone is wanting to make a significant tanzanite purchase, then you would want a few tools with you. A loupe, two different color flashlights, and a dichroscope will quickly weed out the worst of the fakes. I have seen both good and bad fakes. The worst ones are where a colored foil backing are put on clear gemstone (likely lab grown topaz) to fake "the red flashes". The better ones are lab-grown stones that have the same dark purple color and shine of real tanzanite but do not show any of the color shift (or reds) when viewed under different light sources.   

As for EFFY, I personally have no thoughts. I deal mainly with loose gemstones and mineral specimens.   

So generous to share your knowledge. As one new to the gemstone and mineral industry I would love a mentor like you! Thanks a lot for all the details! I took it all in!

8 hours ago, cruiseguy56 said:

DW bought me my first Invicta on a ship because it came in the red motorcycle helmet case, rather than a standard yellow Invicta box and I've been riding motorcycles since I was about 6 and driving them since about 11. DW thought that while the watches might be a bit expensive, it was a very cool watch and case. After that cruise, we noticed a tv channel that sold them and started finding out that the ship prices were pretty much the same as the shopping channel which is actually Invicta selling them through their web site. Now she's hooked and we both have multiple Invictas.

Are you referring to ShopHQ? I believe that's the one we always watched simply for the INVICTA's. XFINITY just informed me that they are dropping ShopHQ starting May 12, 2023. But anyway, I think I will surprise him this cruise with an INVICTA to make up for my oopsy. 😅

34 minutes ago, opensaysme said:

So generous to share your knowledge. As one new to the gemstone and mineral industry I would love a mentor like you! Thanks a lot for all the details! I took it all in!

Almost every mid to large-size city has a Gem and Mineral Society. I would start with searching for one in your area. Most have meetings 2-4 times per month (with information sessions) as well as a monthy group rockhound outing. Within the group, you will find lots of specialization: some focussed on cabbing, others cutting, others mineral identification, others digging, etc. It is amazing the amount of specialized knowledge that some people have. If you have a particular interest, you will have no problems finding a mentor at one of these events. Average age is 50+ so younger blood is always welcome. My specialty is quartz (I own a famous quartz mine [unfortunately currently closed since government regulations are a PITA]). At one time, I could tell you where in the world a piece of quartz came from just by looking at it (and usually the name of the mine if it was from Oklahoma or Arkansas). I know others have this same abilty with certain gemstones (once you have seen enough of something, you can pick up on color, impurities, clarity, shine, etc. to quickly identify where it came from).    

8 minutes ago, RockHoundTX said:

Almost every mid to large-size city has a Gem and Mineral Society. I would start with searching for one in your area. Most have meetings 2-4 times per month (with information sessions) as well as a monthy group rockhound outing. Within the group, you will find lots of specialization: some focussed on cabbing, others cutting, others mineral identification, others digging, etc. It is amazing the amount of specialized knowledge that some people have. If you have a particular interest, you will have no problems finding a mentor at one of these events. Average age is 50+ so younger blood is always welcome. My specialty is quartz (I own a famous quartz mine [unfortunately currently closed since government regulations are a PITA]). At one time, I could tell you where in the world a piece of quartz came from just by looking at it (and usually the name of the mine if it was from Oklahoma or Arkansas). I know others have this same abilty with certain gemstones (once you have seen enough of something, you can pick up on color, impurities, clarity, shine, etc. to quickly identify where it came from).    

I'm in awe of your knowledge. That's so cool that you own a mine! And a famous one at that! 😍 A shame you can't operate it. Thanks a lot for your advice on finding a mentor. I am going to look into finding my local gem and mineral society. I love learning from my elders so I hope I can fit right in! I have been to the Indianapolis Gem Show. Ironically it's located outside of the city in a very small town. It was cool but a little underwhelming. We have another one coming up in a week. This time I go I will inquire about joining the society. Thanks so much!

I'm looking to by a Tag or Rolex, If the price is right compared to my research and they have my choices available on the ship then I may make the purchase. But if the past repeats itself Ill leave home without my watch as I have in the past 4 cruises 3 on CCL and 1 on RC.

Aloha. Started cruising in the 1970s as a youngster and my parents would buy onboard and in ports. As the decades progressed and as an adult, the Mrs. and I would buy onboard and in ports. Nowadays the prices are no longer less expensive nor am I satisfied with quality.  Additionally keep in mind any large purchases are reported to Customs and they have agents on board during disembarcation so you must report it and you will also get beeped when swiping your card as you try to leave the ship. They won’t let you leave without reporting to customs onboard.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2023 at 7:33 PM, opensaysme said:

Are you referring to ShopHQ? I believe that's the one we always watched simply for the INVICTA's. XFINITY just informed me that they are dropping ShopHQ starting May 12, 2023. But anyway, I think I will surprise him this cruise with an INVICTA to make up for my oopsy. 😅

Yes, ShopHQ is the channel. We have since just gone straight to invictastores.com and have been making our purchases there.

Edited by cruiseguy56
spelling correction
  • Like 1

On 4/10/2023 at 9:03 PM, Thad409 said:

I'm looking to by a Tag or Rolex, If the price is right compared to my research and they have my choices available on the ship then I may make the purchase. But if the past repeats itself Ill leave home without my watch as I have in the past 4 cruises 3 on CCL and 1 on RC.

I don't know about Tag but Carnival ships are not Rolex dealers. Some ships have a few used ones. Obviously some of the destinations have Rolex dealers ashore.

3 hours ago, mz-s said:

I don't know about Tag but Carnival ships are not Rolex dealers. Some ships have a few used ones. Obviously some of the destinations have Rolex dealers ashore.

Had quite a few used Rolex(es?) on Celebration in Jan and Prices to match!

I suggest anyone lusting after a luxury watch first research the cost of maintenance.  I currently have two Rolex oysters.  The first was a stainless steel college graduation gift and at the time (1973) cost $212.70.  I don’t remember what I paid to have it serviced in Germany, but a few years later it was $200, sometime in the 80s.  Then it was up to $400.  Last time I asked, probably 20 years ago it was at least $1000.  The second is ten years newer, two tone, purchased in Hong Kong for $948.  They both sit in a drawer while I wear my Apple Watch.  EM

• Like 1