Bahamas Rum Cake Factory and Junkanoo Beach

dlphn501

I will be in Nassau in June with 2 other ships in port.  We are the first ones there at 8am, followed by noon and 1:30.  I think it's safe to say the beach will not be that busy until after lunch??  I am looking for the easiest way to hit the rum cake factory and the beach.  Right now I am thinking we can catch a cab from the beach when we are ready to leave and go to the rum cake factory.  Can I get the driver to wait for us?  Not sure if that's standard to ask.  I know after being at the beach all morning and in the sun that I will be too tired to walk all that way and then back to the ship.  I think we may be okay to walk from the Factory back to the pier if we can't get a taxi to wait for us.  Any other ideas?  It doesn't look like there's a bus that goes between those locations.  Would the rum cakes get compromised if we went to the Factory first and then walked to the beach?  I know they are sealed airtight, I've purchased before, but I wasn't sure with the heat.

6 hours ago, mets123 said:

You can order Tortuga rum cakes from Amazon and have them delivered to your home. They would be the same as any brand sold in the Bahamas and probably cost less.

They also sell them on the ship.  I may buy one there depending on cost, just to try it out, but I prefer to support the local small businesses.  I saw another rum cake shop in a YouTube video that was actually on the way to/from the beach.

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, blue_water said:

Taxis are expensive, just hop the jitney (bus) that stops at the beach and drops you in town or wherever you want to go for $1.25

Is there a bus stop near the pier? I tried to look but couldn’t find it. 

The main bus stop where you hop on is at Frederick & Bay if I remember, just a couple blocks to the right of the dock. They ask that you use exact change $1.25 USD or Bohemian. You can tell the driver where you are getting off and he will usually remember. But it is normal to say “bus stop please” as you approach your destination…

the #10 is the main bus, but the others go through the neighborhoods and a driver can tell you which bus you want… They drop you where you got on in town…

Edited by blue_water
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, dlphn501 said:

Does it have to be all coins?  Can it be a US$1 bill and a US quarter?

No you can use a bill and a quarter. You just hand the $$ to the driver as you get off, no machine involved. The drivers are great and we usually just give them $2/pp…
Great question!

• Thanks 1