Greece airport transfer reservation asking for Passport number?

screamin400

• 1 year later...
3 minutes ago, MedCruise_2022 said:

A bit concerned too!

Booking for a taxi transfer from Piraeus Cruise Port to our Hotel (booking taxi through our Hotel), and I am being asked for my Passport Number (and telephone number). 

If it causes you anxiety, just say no and look for other options.  As frequent international travelers, we have no issue giving out things like our passport numbers (they have little use without the actual document).  But, these days, folks are rightfully paranoid about giving out any personal info and must simply adapt their travel to their own fears.  

There are usually plenty of waiting taxis at the Pireaus port and you will not need anything but money for those taxis :).

Hank

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MedCruise_2022 said:

A bit concerned too!

Booking for a taxi transfer from Piraeus Cruise Port to our Hotel (booking taxi through our Hotel), and I am being asked for my Passport Number (and telephone number). 

It is quite common and a requirement there and other places.  Have done it many times with no issues. Decades ago hotels in Italy used to take your passports at registration to register them, many European hotels made copies of your passport page upon check-in.

If it bothers you, then don't book a car service and flag a taxi instead.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2024 at 6:13 PM, drew69 said:

It is quite common and a requirement there and other places.  Have done it many times with no issues. Decades ago hotels in Italy used to take your passports at registration to register them, many European hotels made copies of your passport page upon check-in.

If it bothers you, then don't book a car service and flag a taxi instead.

Yes, thank you!

Been to Italy and other European countries and have booked taxi transfers through our hotels with no such request. First time to travel to Greece though (in October this year)-and somewhat surprised by this request.

Thank you for your responses.

On 8/16/2024 at 11:43 AM, MedCruise_2022 said:

A bit concerned too!

Just curious.  Which company asked you for the passport number? 

I really do not know the actual taxi company. We are booking through our reserved Hotel (Acropolis View Hotel) --- and the hotel staff told me that the Taxi company would like to get my Passport Number (and that according to them is a standard practice).

9 hours ago, marazul said:

Look at georgestaxi.com

Have used them several times and they too asked for passport number to schedule airport pick up.  It is listed in their email requesting the details for the booking - see below

Flight details (airline, flight number, arrival time) without attachments (we only need the final leg of your trip)
2. Phone number (preferably WhatsApp) in case we need to reach you while in Greece.
4. Full names of all passengers and one passport number (just the number, not a copy of the passport). This information is required by airport authorities to allow our driver to pick you up at the airport.

23 minutes ago, drew69 said:

Have used them several times and they too asked for passport number to schedule airport pick up.  It is listed in their email requesting the details for the booking - see below

Flight details (airline, flight number, arrival time) without attachments (we only need the final leg of your trip)
2. Phone number (preferably WhatsApp) in case we need to reach you while in Greece.
4. Full names of all passengers and one passport number (just the number, not a copy of the passport). This information is required by airport authorities to allow our driver to pick you up at the airport.

Interesting.  We have used George’s many times and I don't recall that. I guess the rules are the rules. I have no problem giving out that info.