Does NCL add any tours in Seward?

bomabound

We are doing back-to-back cruises from Vancouver to Seward and then back and wonder if there is anything to do in Seward.  The last time we did back-to-backs they added a tour to Anchorage and back but it ended up not being a very good experience because it was really meant for people heading to the airport, and spending a bunch of time at the airport felt like a waste of time.  I don’t recall whether they added any tours right in Seward for people returning to Vancouver.  Does anyone know?  If there are no tours, is there much to do on foot in Seward or any cabs into the town?

I wasn’t sure if I should post in the Alaska topic, but didn’t because I know some lines sell 14-day cruises and hence are more geared up for people staying on, and wanted to be sure to get an answer specific to NCL.

To be honest, I've never seen a return-to-port excursion in any embark/disembark port. Not even in ports where flights out are traditionally quite late.  Probably not enough interest to make it worthwhile to NCL.

The Seward-Anchorage train is available as transportation to/from the airport, as transportation options to the airport are limited - the pre-cruise train itself is a highly unusual option.

Your best bet would be Viator and trip advisor

• Like 1

NCL does not offer shore excursions in Seward.  Upon arrival there is a small section of the port building (which is like an open warehouse) with tourist brochures set up.

I highly recommend a boat trip into Kenai Fjord with Major Marine.

I also recommend the Alaska Sea Life Center which is a stop on the free Seward shuttle.

• Like 3

Most towns have a web site to promote tourism and support local businesses. Just google the towns name with Visitor Information and you'll find sites like this:

What to do in Seward • Visit Seward Alaska

They even have a Visitor Guide that you can order or download:

2023 Seward Visitor Guide by Seward Chamber of Commerce - Issuu

There is SO MUCH TO DO in Seward. Depends on your interests, budget, physical abilities. 

Activities I've done in the past. (I was travelling by RV or by car) The boat tours are fantastic .... close up to all kinds of sealife, birdlife, glaciers.  Visit the SEALIFE CENTER in town.  Visit Exit Glacier ( tours leave from the waterfront), visit the sled dog kennel and for a cart ride, go fishing, wander thru the town, go kayaking, 

Rent a car for the day and drive towards Anchorage so that you can visit Exit Glacier, Potters Marsh, Alyeska, and the wonderful Alaska Wildlife Center to see bear, buffalo, musk ox, moose up close.

So much to do.  Here are the suggested stops if you rent a car and drive the Seward Hwy.  BTW, impossible to get lost ..... there's only 1 lane of traffic in each direction until you get to Anchorage. There is SO MUCH TO DO in Seward. Depends on  your interests, budget, physical abilities.     Driving Highlights | Anchorage to Seward | ALASKA.ORG

p.s. In the past, the Seward Chamber of Commerce had a free shuttle that did a RT from the pier thru town.  Ask them if they're doing it for 2023.

Never mind , a quick google search provided the info: Free Shuttle - Seward City Tours | Seward, Alaska

Edited by mapleleaves
  • Like 4

Not sure how long you are in Seward, but I know a great local fishing/sightseeing charter boat company. The local charter boat company is called "Gone Again Charters". http://www.goneagaincharters.com/

If you rent a car and go up the Seward Highway, be careful. If there is a major accident, it might shut down the road. It's only a 2 lane road and only one way in/out of Seward. It's beautiful in the Kenai peninsula, in and around Seward. 

Edited by genealogyfan

1 hour ago, quack2 said:

The Kenai Fjords boat trip out of Seward is perhaps my favorite "excursion" in Alaska.  Plenty of time to get back to your ship after the boat trip.

I don't know how much time is available, but there were two excursions.  We took the longer one, and where it went at the farthest point was quite special.

(We were spending the night in Seward, so time wasn't a problem for us.)

Enjoy!

That cruise was one of our favorites.

Will you be seeing Hubbard Glacier?  That was a high point for us.  LOTS of calving!

GC

Thanks for all the feedback and ideas.  I had searched for info on the area and found a walking map and information on the shuttle, and we’ll probably stick around Seward.  It looks like a great little town.  

I was mainly just curious if people knew whether NCL actually organized tours of the area on the debarkation/embarkation turnaround day.  On our last time doing this, the cruise line (not NCL) added a tour for people staying on that was sold as a sightseeing tour of Anchorage with time to explore Anchorage.  But it ended up that what they did is arrange with the tour company to take people on the tour that ends at the airport (for people leaving), then drop us at Anchorage for a couple hours, and then pick us up to head to the airport to pick up the arrivals.  When we got to the airport they said we had to go into the airport to join the group there, and when we did the next bus was full and we had to sit in the airport for two hours to wait for the next flights!  It ended up being an expensive waste of time.  

So this time we really just want to have a relaxing day exploring Seward, but would be up for a tour just in Seward.  It looks like there is plenty to do.  We are both very active and enjoy walking and hiking, so we’ll likely walk around town and see what we find.

11 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Kenai Fjord with Major Marine

I second this recommendation.  We spent 2 days in Seward following our cruise and booked the Kenai Fjord tour with Major Marine. It was truly the best excursion and day I've had on any of my many cruises. We saw so much that day including all the Alaskan sea life you could imagine, up close to glaciers, and such fun!! It was the best day ever!!! We enjoyed Seward itself as well - stayed in a great Airbnb, ate well, wandered and saw all kinds of wildlife (both at the Sea Life Center/Aquarium and in the wild) and once it was time to leave, enjoyed the glass dome train from Seward to Anchorage. 

Edited by ljrfrm
  • Like 3