More MSC newbie Qs for my upcoming Divina transatlantic

RalphWiggum

I have spent the last 36 hours of so reading this board and doing searches but have a few Qs and might have more.

1.  I am looking to book the Duo dining package and have found a copy of the steakhouse menu with the subset dining experience menu.  Was not able to find a menu for Kaito, so hoping someone could point me to one.  Will probably book the Duo anyway but am considering buying two packages (if possible) since my cruise will be long, and want to get a sense of what the offerings are at Kaito.  

2.  I booked fantastica level and asked for early sitting.  I noticed there appear to be three non-specialty restaurants on Divina.  Le Muse, Black Crab and Villa Rossa. The MSC website has no descriptions - just a name and photo. I assume one would be reserved to YC but which one(s) is the main dining room?  If there is more than 1 available to all passengers, how does that worked with early seating?  Am I assigned to just one main dining room?

3.  Does MSC have bottled (or boxed) water packages, like they do on NCL, Royal and Cunard?  Don’t see them as an option on the booked guest website. 

4.  Does Divina still offer aquacycle classes?  How much are they?  

thanks in advance for any info you can provide. 

Edited by RalphWiggum

1. There is no Keito restaurant on Divina, but Galaxy: also a sushi place. You may find a menu (which is different from Keito) using the forum´s search function for "Galaxy restaurant" (there is another Galaxy restaurant on MSC Preziosa).

2. Le Muse is the YC restaurant, Black Crab and Villa Rossa are the MDRs. You will be assigned to one of these.

3. No

4. Never heard of this.

• Like 1

For US cruisers ice water is free in the MDR.  No need for a water package.  I believe in Europe a water package is included for US and UK cruisers as we deem it acceptable to drink water with meals.  EM

• Like 1

Thanks for prompt replies.  Sorry about getting the name wrong.  I guess all the board comments about asking MSC the same question three times and getting four different answers is correct because the MSC website lists a Galaxy Kaito restaurant as one of the Divina restaurants and when I did a search for menus using that term I found Kaito menus for other MSC ships, but not Divina.   Will look again with the correct name. 

I would imagine that water is free.  Not just in the MDR but in the buffets and that there might even be a water fountain in the gym.  But I work out every day and like to have a water bottle with me when I do.  And the cruise lines generally don’t let you refill water bottles.  And I drink a lot of water and like it at room temp. The free stuff with meals and i guzzle it down at the gym.  So that’s unfortunate.  But I’m sure I’ll survive …somehow 😂

Found some links online and on YouTube to aquacycle classes previously being offered on Divina but they were old.  Precovid times.  And given that the MSC website still has some stray Eataly pics I just thought I would check the board for some current info. 

What cruise lines does not let you refill a water bottle?  I always have a water bottle, usually insulated, and refill in the buffet.  They just want you to fill it using a clean glass, rather than putting the bottle directly under the source.  EM

Again, I said I would soldier on.  But I’ll note most cruise lines have 8 oz water glasses. And I drink a lot of water (>64 oz) with each 90 minute workout, so to have to fill it up that way is inconvenient, esp since I would just reuse standard water bottles, which have narrow tops.  Plus the tap water is not at room temperature so I’d have to plan ahead.  And I’m on vacation.  I know you don’t see a need for water bottle packages, but for me it’s vacation convenience . And, frankly I use filtered water at home because I’m cheap, but it’s worth it to me to pay for the convenience of boxed water in my cabin and at the gym.

again, you might see a need for it but there is a need for it for some people. Viva la difference.  Which is why other lines offer them and which is why I was asking whether MSC did.  And it sounds like they do not, so thanks for answering.   

Edited by RalphWiggum

If the TA begins in Europe bottled water at meals will be included for US/CA/UK bookings  If the TA starts in the US, which I believe is the OP's case, no bottled water is included.  Bottles can be purchased individually or through a drink package.

Divina is not a good ship for specialty restaurants.  Restaurant names and menus have changed a lot over the last several years.  Butcher's Cut (formerly Eataly, then Eataly Marketplace, then Eataly Steakhouse) lacks the character of those on the newer ships but at least it keeps the same menu.  Galaxy Kaito is the new name (formerly Galaxy Lounge - Asian fusion), I suppose they kept the "Galaxy" since it is quite a different venue than most of the Kaito Sushi restaurants on the newer ships.  The venue has a nice view but I found the food, mainly the dining experience, at this particular venue not up to your typical local sushi restaurant standards.  Perhaps because this ship does not have the accompanying Teppanyaki and Asian restaurants and kitchens/staff.  On most sailings I've been on Galaxy Kaito is not very popular.  I would not do their Dining Experience and stick to the à la cart choices at this venue.  You may also see Ristorante Italia menus, it is sadly gone and now part of Butcher's Cut.

Attached menu below was from when Divina first transitioned to Galaxy Sushi in late 2018 (not officially called Kaito at that point) and took on the sushi restaurant style.  I believe this older menu is still fairly correct aside from pricing.  They may now be using the new format "fleet standard" MSC Kaito Sushi Dining Experience and à la carte menu as seen in this link from Meraviglia: https://www.alannazingano.com/videos/where-to-eat-on-msc-meraviglia-jan-2023/#kaito=

Galaxy Sushi.pdf

Edited by Até

Até,

This is the second MSC question of mine you’ve answered, and I appreciate your very helpful answers.  

Yes, my transatlantic is next month and departs from Miami.  I do hope I can buy bottled water. This Divina TA is part of a larger Europe land tour and I will take another transatlantic back to NY in July.  So I travel light.  I cannot justify bringing a 64 oz water bottle with me. 

I apologize for all of the questions. But I’ve been a cruise critic member for years and have seen enough mixed MSC reviews (that is, people either seem to love it hate it) to maybe think the haters might not like it because MSC looks like a US mainstream line but has quirks that they weren’t expecting.  So I’m trying to be as prepared as possible because I’ll be stuck on board MSC for a while (almost 3 weeks).  I do try to find the answers myself before posting Qs but MSC is little confusing.  

You will easily be able to find both plastic and glass bottled water, the latter being a more prestigious brand.  On European sailings tap water tends to disappear from the dining venues, that's why bottled water is included in the MDRs for US/CA/UK bookings.  They are priced fairly reasonably for a cruise ship.  They usually have a smaller and one liter size available, pretty sure the cabin mini bar is the same price as in bars/restaurants so it may be easiest to look through there to see what you might like.  Just be aware MSC wants you to sign a mini bar resupply/quantity form, available from your cabin steward, that has the prices listed for each type.  Divina tap water is comparable to any filtered product for purchase so I can't see any reason not to purchase a few, refill and let sit out overnight for the next day.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there!  I have a question for you as you are the first person I have found doing a longer trip.  we are booked on a 26 day trip next April trans atlantic as well and i have no access to the drinks packages yet.  are you able to tell me the cost for the easy plus option for the whole trip if you buy it pre cruise? thanks a ton!  and looking forward to hearing from you regarding the trip and any hints you may have for us all.

2 hours ago, Adriftwithcocktailinhand said:

Hi there!  I have a question for you as you are the first person I have found doing a longer trip.  we are booked on a 26 day trip next April trans atlantic as well and i have no access to the drinks packages yet.  are you able to tell me the cost for the easy plus option for the whole trip if you buy it pre cruise? thanks a ton!  and looking forward to hearing from you regarding the trip and any hints you may have for us all.

I can buy the easy plus package for $969  this is for a 19 night sailing.