Insurance just for medical?

sjde

31 minutes ago, sjde said:

“…if one is going to purchase extra third party travel insurance, let IT pay for all of the costs.  Why "waste" anyof the $50k Medicare-related coverage if one has another policy that would pay for "everything"...?“

But I’m not planning to get travel insurance this time.

And it’s the opposite of what happens in the US -in this case it would be our supplemental policy with United Health Care paying for 80% of the cost & Medicare picking up the other 20% I was told. 

I wrote "IF one gets "secondary" third party coverage"... and then gave some issues to consider.

I did not suggest that you personally would or should get it.  

There are some issues that many aren't aware of.  Even "IF" you don't decide to get 3rd party coverage, others might.

On 4/18/2023 at 10:07 PM, sjde said:

... And someone told me the airlines offers some medical coverage on a trip?

What medical coverage do airlines offer?

GC

• 6 months later...
On 4/18/2023 at 10:07 PM, sjde said:

I think our medical insurance may cover us. We'd have to pay but then we'd submit it to them later. And someone told me the airlines offers some medical coverage on a trip?

I'm assuming you mean that you will check with your insurance company, to be sure.  Airlines do offer trip insurance but anytime I've looked into it the medical coverage is minimal.  Unfortunately actual medical costs are never minimal. 

On 4/19/2023 at 12:43 PM, sjde said:

I found out that overseas we are covered by our supplemental health insurance plan. We are on Medicare. We have a $ 250 annual deductible for emergency care and there's a maximum $50,000 lifetime benefit.

That is a very small amount of insurance for medical expenses even outside of the US.  Sure, it will be adequate if you sprain an ankle or maybe get norovirus.  But anything major, nope.   It wont cost you a ton of money to get better insurance coverage. Very worthwhile to do a some research. I also found that increasing your deductible for medical travel insurance doesnt decrease the premium by that much.

On 4/19/2023 at 8:24 PM, KEN31VA said:

I recently found out that my Medicare Advantage policy covers emergency medical expenses outside the US.  Also, GC's comments are right on.  With some companies you can purchase a policy for to cover only part of the total trip's cost and still receive the full medical benefit.

would you share the name of those companies?

On 4/19/2023 at 9:36 PM, sjde said:

“…if one is going to purchase extra third party travel insurance, let IT pay for all of the costs.  Why "waste" anyof the $50k Medicare-related coverage if one has another policy that would pay for "everything"...?“

But I’m not planning to get travel insurance this time.

And it’s the opposite of what happens in the US -in this case it would be our supplemental policy with United Health Care paying for 80% of the cost & Medicare picking up the other 20% I was told. 

Your supplemental plan is also Medicare. If it does pay the first 80% of the cost, that would be it.  "Medicare" would not pick up the other 20% because the supplement is Medicare. It is a "Medicare Supplement Plan"

On 4/19/2023 at 10:20 PM, GeezerCouple said:

I wrote "IF one gets "secondary" third party coverage"... and then gave some issues to consider.

I did not suggest that you personally would or should get it.  

There are some issues that many aren't aware of.  Even "IF" you don't decide to get 3rd party coverage, others might.

What medical coverage do airlines offer?

GC

I think this is referring ot the Trip Protection that airlines offer.  "Yes, I want my trip protection" or "No, I am willing to risk...."    Those policies usually have a small amount of medical expense coverage.  I'm wondering if it is required of them to include that because it is pitifully inadequate for medical expense coverage.   

3 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

would you share the name of those companies?

This is regulated by each State. In Washington, I don't have to cover the "full" cost of the trip for the medical to be included.

This is one of the reasons why many of us recommend a broker such as Steve (IamTrustworthy) at TripInsuranceStore

4 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

This is regulated by each State. In Washington, I don't have to cover the "full" cost of the trip for the medical to be included.

This is one of the reasons why many of us recommend a broker such as Steve (IamTrustworthy) at TripInsuranceStore

I will look into that source of information

I'm not sure if you are asking about Medicate Advantage or travel insurance.  The problem is even within the same company, the policies can vary and it's difficult to get a straight answer.  Anyway, I have United Healthare's Medicare Advantage.  For travel insurance, I usually use Allianz purchased through American Airlines.