Insurance just for medical?

sjde

I usually get trip insurance if I've booked a non-cancellable cruise. But this summer we'll be on our own for a month in Europe. We don't really want or need trip cancellation or Trip delay insurance-just want the medical part. Has anyone done this or have some companies you could recommend?

24 minutes ago, sjde said:

I usually get trip insurance if I've booked a non-cancellable cruise. But this summer we'll be on our own for a month in Europe. We don't really want or need trip cancellation or Trip delay insurance-just want the medical part. Has anyone done this or have some companies you could recommend?

Contact a travel insurance broker like www.TripInsuranceStore.com

They can help you with this.

Chances are that getting "regular" travel insurance will work, but you only insure some tiny amount for the trip cost, keeping the regular medical coverage.  But ask the experts.

GC

• Thanks 1

If I find that I don't want or need and annual, I just put a trip cost of $500.

That trip cost gives me all the medical, evacuation, and repatriation that I need while minimizing the cost for what I don't need which is cancellation, trip delay, trip interruption, etc.

Insurance is cost is based on Trip Cost. $0 - $500 is $X, while $501 - $1000 increases the cost and so on and so on. $100K medical (primary) with $250K evac costs me about $35 per person.

The only problem I see with doing it that way is IF you want pre-existing condition coverage, you have to insure all aspects of your trip- flight , hotel , cruise,  whatever.

With GeoBlue you don’t need to. 

26 minutes ago, sjde said:

The only problem I see with doing it that way is IF you want pre-existing condition coverage, you have to insure all aspects of your trip- flight , hotel , cruise,  whatever.

With GeoBlue you don’t need to. 

Depends on the regulations in your State.

In Washington State, what you describe is not a requirement. Then again, I can't purchase GeoBlue as a Washington State resident.

Edited by klfrodo

klfrodo - How do you interpret the below language when covering a trip at a specified cost that is, in fact, less than the actual cost of the trip?  I can see where you could argue that your credit card covers trip cancellation, interruption, etc...but this wording makes me wonder...

"Concealment and Misrepresentation: The entire coverage will be void, if before, during or after a loss, any material fact or circumstance relating to this Policy or claim has been concealed or misrepresented."

And being a WA resident also, where did you get specifics on their travel insurance regulations?

3 hours ago, ljones said:

klfrodo - How do you interpret the below language when covering a trip at a specified cost that is, in fact, less than the actual cost of the trip?  I can see where you could argue that your credit card covers trip cancellation, interruption, etc...but this wording makes me wonder...

"Concealment and Misrepresentation: The entire coverage will be void, if before, during or after a loss, any material fact or circumstance relating to this Policy or claim has been concealed or misrepresented."

And being a WA resident also, where did you get specifics on their travel insurance regulations?

I count on the expertise of Steve at TripInsurance.com

I purchase the TravelSafe policy specifically designed for residents of Washington from Steve.

• Like 1

The wording is from the Travel Safe plan...

I also have credit card 'coverage' from Chase Preferred and the covered trip is less than their 60 day limit, so the card will cover cancellation, interruption, baggage ect so I primarily covered the airfare...and still that wording concerns me if I'd need the medical / evacuation coverage during the 30+days...  They have lawyers...probably lots of them. 😞

Edited by ljones
add

I see you brought up the same argument on a post submitted on 8 November 2021.

As with most things in life, you roll the dice and take your chances.

I'm choosing to roll my dice with the professional advice provided by Steve at TripInsuranceStore. But thank you for your concern.

• Like 1

It is my concern.  And I think most, like I didn't, ever read the actual policy to the very end where they give 'their' definitions.  In most instances I get coverage for the full trip but in this case, my credit card covers the minor things. 

Hopefully, I won't need to test whether or not the lawyers agree with my reasoning in this instance or not.  I think it's valid that I have the additional coverage and only need to cover the airfare, as did Steve.  

And, it is the same argument - and I am obviously not fully convinced.  I retired as a fraud investigator with WA State.  And dealt with many lawyers...what seems clear to most people is intentionally not clear enough to get past them...

But, I never did insurance fraud.  Welfare fraud, vehicle fraud, business fraud...and on the other side - I personally just tried to deal with Toyota Corporation...on a much more serious matter.  They have a massive number of Talking Head Executives and lawyers...

Edited by ljones
add

"We don't really want or need trip cancellation or Trip delay insurance-just want the medical part. Has anyone done this or have some companies you could recommend?"

When we went to Canada for vacation, we needed insurance for medical only now that we are on Medicare.  We used Travel Guard and it was not expensive, at all.   Since visiting these forums, we have used tripinsurancestore.com and were very satisfied with our experiences.

Edited by Walfam

On 4/13/2023 at 4:12 PM, ljones said:

I believe in Steves integrity, however, you also had me questioning. Therefore, I broke out the policy.

Waiver of the Pre-Existing Condition Exclusion

a)     Your payment for this policy and enrollment form are received within 21 days of the date Your initial Payment or Deposit for Your Trip is received; and

b)     You are not disabled from travel at the time Your payment is paid.

That's it.

No mention anywhere nor anytime in the entire 28 page document does it say or imply that the entire non-refundable cost of the trip must be covered to include waiver of the Pre-Existing condition clause.

I also did not see the policy we both have specify you must enter the entire non-refundable cost of the trip...BUT I did see where SOME policies actually do...

I have Chase Sapphire Preferred - it covers cancellation, interruption, baggage, etc up to 60 days.  I've also been reviewing dual coverage...so I feel ok covering the costs of the flight only on this specific trip (Icelandair does not seem to have any insurance of their own) due to comments that they sometimes cancel the flight - which would impact my trip - last minute. 

So the flight was approx $500.00 - which I told Steve - I couldn't recall the exact amount at the time - and with the policy got the medical & evacuation coverage included in the flight cost (actually $592.00 - which I 'self insured' the $92.00).

I have no pre-existing conditions - that was someone else.  But I still question without the double coverage if most insurance companies will pay out a $100,000.00+ with an extended time frame listed and an exceedingly low dollar figure . 

In my particular case the time frame only covers 30 days.  What concerns me is: "Trip Cost (Total)" - specified by the insurance company wording - at $500.00 when it is actually more.  I am relying on the dual coverage - but only the insurance company lawyers know for sure.

I think our medical insurance may cover us. We'd have to pay but then we'd submit it to them later. And someone told me the airlines offers some medical coverage on a trip?

What exactly is a "pre-existing medical condition"?  Say I take medication for high cholesterol.  If I have a heart attack on my cruise, will I be covered or will the insurance company say that since I had a cholesterol condition, it won't be covered?

I mean, as long as you're alive, you have some sort of pre-existing medical condition of some sort or another, no?

5 hours ago, honmani2 said:

What exactly is a "pre-existing medical condition"?  Say I take medication for high cholesterol.  If I have a heart attack on my cruise, will I be covered or will the insurance company say that since I had a cholesterol condition, it won't be covered?

I mean, as long as you're alive, you have some sort of pre-existing medical condition of some sort or another, no?

Here's a good explanation

How Travel Insurance Pre-Existing Medical Condition Coverage Works « Get the Best Trip Insurance Details, Advice (tripinsurancestore.com)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sjde said:

I’ve wondered the same thing. If you have osteoporosis and break a leg? Would that count? And what if you weren’t currently on  meds for it? 

Read the definition of "pre-existing conditions" for the specific policy/policies that you are considering.  That is all that matters.

And as mentioned, "pre-existing condition" typically has a definition in most travel insurance policies that is quite different from how we use the terminology elsewhere.

GC

• Like 1

I found out that overseas we are covered by our supplemental health insurance plan. We are on Medicare. We have a $ 250 annual deductible for emergency care and there's a maximum $50,000 lifetime benefit.

5 hours ago, sjde said:

I found out that overseas we are covered by our supplemental health insurance plan. We are on Medicare. We have a $ 250 annual deductible for emergency care and there's a maximum $50,000 lifetime benefit.

That $50k lifetime limit on overseas medical coverage on some of the Medicare add-on policies is one reason that people who get additional travel insurance often make sure they get *primary* coverage.  IF one gets "secondary" third party coverage, then the claim must be processed by any other appropriate policy first, and whatever was *not* covered by that other policy would be paid by the separate travel insurance.  If one gets "primary" coverage, then there is no need to submit a claim to the "other" insurer.

This has at least two benefits:

First, Medicare itself almost never pays anything for out-of-country medical costs, but it can be quite slow in getting back to the traveler with a formal denial of coverage.  And until one has that denial, one can't get the travel insurance to consider the claim unless you have primary coverage.

Second, if one is going to purchase extra third party travel insurance, let IT pay for all of the costs.  Why "waste" any of the $50k Medicare-related coverage if one has another policy that would pay for "everything"...?

GC

I recently found out that my Medicare Advantage policy covers emergency medical expenses outside the US.  Also, GC's comments are right on.  With some companies you can purchase a policy for to cover only part of the total trip's cost and still receive the full medical benefit.

“…if one is going to purchase extra third party travel insurance, let IT pay for all of the costs.  Why "waste" anyof the $50k Medicare-related coverage if one has another policy that would pay for "everything"...?“

But I’m not planning to get travel insurance this time.

And it’s the opposite of what happens in the US -in this case it would be our supplemental policy with United Health Care paying for 80% of the cost & Medicare picking up the other 20% I was told.