Scenic luggage rules

TheRampantSnail

Although we have done many ocean cruises we will shortly be embarking on our first river cruise - Scenic "Romantic Rhine and Moselle".

We have just received our final documentation and journey information. The baggage allowance noted as one suitcase and also a "small backpack or similar". We would like to take, in addition to our suitcases, a small case each - basically an airline permitted carry on bag.. Is this covered by the definition of being similar to a small backpack?

With regard to dress code (always a touchy subject) the information states that there is a recommendation of a jacket or tie for the evening meal. What do seasoned Scenic travellers wear?

DH rarely takes a jacket if we’re cruising during the summer months but yes a light one at other times of the year and the air con in the restaurant especially can be a little chilly I take a few wraps  We have always taken a full size (airline size) suitcase each, they tuck nicely away under the bed. We’ve always taken carry- ons but smaller ones. We’ve never had a problem and we’ve cruised with Scenic over many years including the one your setting out on, it was our second and as our first was only eight days my husband decided that it was far to short.

I think the baggage rules are to discourage people from bringing too much. My husband and I both had a regular sized carryon, plus one backpack and a suitcase each as we were in Paris for a week prior to our 11 day river cruise. We had the same question about dinner attire.  We were on the Scenic Gem in August 2019 so I can’t remember exactly but I don’t remember many ties and only a few jackets. My husband wore what he would wear out to dinner here. And I agree, the air conditioning can be uncomfortable so I always had a light sweater or wrap with me. 

Unless you have a suite i.e. bedroom plus living room the cabins on river cruises are small and the only place to store suitcases is under the bed. Scenic probably mention backpack as  that is what they used to give their guests up to this year.

We put our carry on baggage in our cases which went under the bed, If you can do the same you shouldn't have any problems.